Austin/Houston/Dallas

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by nicodemus, Mar 16, 2008.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm making a whirlwind tour through those three cities. I'm mainly looking for BBQ and Mexican recommendations in each place.

Also, I'm going to see Gogol Bordello in each of those cities, so if you're going, let me know.

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Austin: Las Manitas is a must, Taco Express (although super crowded and not necessarily the best), there's a couple of places on South 1st both names escape me. One is a big taco cart on the side of the road, and another is a Mexican place just down the street which I think is so-so but is pretty popular. Fonda San Miguel is upscale interior Mexican and has a loyal following.

For BBQ, I like Ruby's because it's central and has a good atmosphere, it's not the best BBQ in the world though. I often eat at Rudy's which is a chain - because I think their wet brisket is decent, although the last time I had it I wasn't blown away. People seem to like Artz for their ribs only. Stubbs is a good music venue and decent bbq though not great.

3. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't know if you made the trip yet but if not and you'd like some really tasty BBQ then go to the Salt Lick. The Salt Lick is probably a 30 drive to Driftwood from downtown but the drive is nice. Another good spot for TexMex in Austin is Trudy's; fried avocado is where it's at.

In Dallas for really good BBQ get over to the original Sonny Bryan's on Inwood. The rest of the SonnyB's are decent but the original is where it's at. If you get the urge to go to Ft Worth, get to Angelo's by TCU. Angelo's might be the best in Texas. For Mexican, head over to Trece Mexican Kitchen on Travis(?) definitely a winner. Lastly for some authentic Latin American food, Cafe Zaguan is awesome.

Houston I avoid like my ex-wife so can't really help you there.

5. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I second the Salt Lick - very good BBQ

6. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Salt Lick is fun, but foodies consider it pretty overrated.

7. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Overrated? Depends on who you ask. It may not be the best in Austin but it certainly is good. Right now the Austin BBQ I'm hooked on is from Whole Foods. All natural and free range and not overpriced.

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I should mention that I've already taken this trip. :p

Feel free to carry on with the debate though, I definitely see myself going back. :)

9. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me wife and I are taking a cross-country excursion in about three weeks, and we will pass through San Antone, Austin and Houston, on the way to Nashville and Chattanooga. Anyone who is willing to recommend BBQ on route can tout their faves.

We will be returning to SoCal thru Cleveland, Chi-town, KC, OK City, Amarillo, etc.

The KC stop is exclusively for BBQ. I'm looking at Arthur Bryants or Fiorello's Jack Stack.

10. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Share with the class? Anything noteworthy?

Checkout Chowhound Austin for some BBQ ideas, I suspect a lot of people will be recommending Lockhart - or other locales outside of town.

11. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Please don't use the term "San Antone".

12. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    In Austin: The Iron Works and Artz Rib House

13. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frisconsin???

14. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Fisconsin is a nickname for the most desolate place on earth.

San Antonio is a kick ass little town.

15. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you wrote "Frisconsin" in your self-identifying blurb.

now you write "Fisconsin". i'm so confused.:eek:

and San Antone( :) )isn't little, by any stretch of the imagination.

16. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize I'm late to the party, but...

The Salt Lick's brisket and sausage are good, their ribs great, and their sauce out of this effin' world. Easily my favorite BBQ sauce ever. The family style buffet, potato salad, blackberry cobbler, and BYOB put it over the top as my favorite BBQ place in Austin. Damn, I miss trips down to Dripping Springs.

Ruby's is a place near and dear to my house, having lived a block away for 3 years. Good vegetarian/vegan BBQ, even. Their chopped beef sandwiches are incredible.

Favorite taco in Austin goes El Chilito's cochinitas pibil. Wash it down with a $1.50 16oz Lone Star as the sun sets on over Manor Rd. and you're set. For good interior Mexican, Polvo's can't be beat. Curra's has tamales that will make you levitate. They are amazing.

Breakfast = either Juan in a Million's "Don Juan plate", some kolaches from The Big Kolache, or the migas from Mi Madre's. Best margarita in town is at Guero's, even though the place is pretty overrated in general.

I love me some Matt's El Rancho for Tex Mex. Their brisket tacos are other-worldly.

Trudy's, despite it's Office Space-like Chotchky's atmosphere actually does some decent things - the migas enchiladas and said fried avocado.

Damn I miss the food in Texas. :(

17. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I had me some Kerbey Lane apple and cinnamon pancakes for breakfast this morning. One of the better greasy spoons around.

18. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't agree on Salt Lick, but I grew up on 32nd near Speedway, so I have fond memories of most of the places you mention. I feel like I spent half of high school at Trudy's and Ruby's and Mi Madre's is one of my favorite places for breakfast tacos. I don't like Guero's enough to go for Margaritas. I'm also not a big Polvo's fan, but I think I'm in the minority on that one.

19. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rudy's is just plain awful. Don't hesitate to pass it up for better food. El Fenix has locations around DFW, but I'm not sure about Houston or Austin, their Tex-Mex is pretty swell.

20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Which do you mean? Rudy's BBQ the chain? I think it can be good, although I had it recently and thought it wasn't great. I think the one near SA is supposed to be the best.

21. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always heard great things about it, but from my experiences it was just plain awful. I haven't found good BBQ since I moved to the DFW area 10 years ago. Every time I visit relatives in East Texas I make it a point to eat at Bodacious.

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You mean you live in Dallas and go somewhere other than Bone Daddy's? ;)

23. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They serve food at Bone Daddy's? I never get beyond beer and eye candy.

24. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There can't possibly be a better name/concept than their "Paris, Texas Platter": French toast and migas! Amazing.

Can I get an amen on Casa de Luz or Maudie's? :cool:

25. memo138

memo138 New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    If you havent made it to Houston yet make sure to check out Thelma's BBQ. Its near downtown at 1020 Live Oak St and Lamar Houston TX 77003. And while your down here you gotta eat some soulfood, there's two places I would recommend. The first is called Mama's Oven. Its near Reliant Stadium, the place has been there for ever and all the famous rappers eat there when they come through tours I guess. :D They have a bunch signed pics of rappers and celebs on the walls. The address is 9295 Main St Houston TX 77025. The other is called Pearl's, its located at 7730 W Bellfort Houston, TX 77071. The portions are ridiculous! Houston has a ton of Mexican restaurants, its more a matter of taste because a lot of them swing more Tex Mex than authentic Mexican, one that has a pretty good balance is Gorditas Aguascalietes at 6102 Bissonnet St
    [SIZE=-1]Houston, TX 7708. Its more of a taqueria but serves a lot of authentic Mexican dishes. If you want to try the best torta you will ever have this side of the border try Tortas las LLardas, 100% authentic Mexico City Tortas. Thats all they sell at that place, nothing else, they are that good. The address is 6001 Hillcroft St [SIZE=-1]Houston, TX 77081[/SIZE][SIZE=-1], most definitely a must eat, very much recommended![/SIZE][/SIZE]