Pre-match: Austin FC - San Jose Earthquakes (Saturday, 9/18) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Sep 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, on the defensive side, the Quakes have been good for at least one major brain fart almost every game, for which they are punished with a goal.

On the offensive side, I'm told by a team official the Quakes have the lowest goals to expected goals ratio of any team in the league, which suggests they are unusually unlucky (or that stats lie :)).

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    ...or that the team finishes badly. That may be the best explanation.

markmcf8 and bsman repped this.
  3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Shouldn't that be built into the expectation?

4. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #29 JazzyJ, Sep 17, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    No I think the xG determination is team independent, and is purely based on distance and angle of the ball when shot taken, is it 1v1, body part used, etc.

I took a quick look, and to add to Cthebp’s post. we are 9th in xGF away and 14th at home. So relatively speaking we are a better road team than home team at least offensively, and our road record is better, which is highly, highly unusual and probably doesn’t happen to any MLS team in a typical season I would guess.

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1 game. And fined and undisclosed amount. I swear MLS has no accountability with their shitty refs.

markmcf8 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Came her to post that article. I wonder if it's related to his brief absence from the field? Maybe he thought he'd been dismissed? Wish I had the inside scoop on this...

markmcf8 and Beckham7 repped this.
  7. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I think he leaves the field right after that red card was reversed. Maybe it was related to that? I expect he’s getting frustrated with the officiating.

Seems like within 10 minutes of that, could’ve been more, a yellow was given to “the bench” but that wasn’t clear either in terms of what led up to it.

bsman repped this.
  8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Ya think? :) I'm guessing maybe he left the field to try to calm down before he reacted even worse.

Quakes05 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  9. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The 4O was talking to Almeyda/Agustin, and then MA left, but just for a minute (I noted it in the pbp). Since he returned, the guess was that he'd gone indoors to kick a locker or something.

They can't suspend coaches just for leaving for a moment.
    #FreeMatias

markmcf8, Seismothusiast and Quakes05 repped this.
  10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every MLS game that isn't on national TV is on ESPN+, unless you're in a local blackout zone, so you can count on that without worrying about what G posts.

Beerking repped this.
  11. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    No great loss.

12. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Obscure reference is obscure. Not a comic-book fan, so I had to look that up. After reading the Wiki, decided that even if a WERE a comic-book fan I probably still would have had to look it up.

GS - you are the uber-nerd...

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Most are.

14. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Now he has time to wash his purple sweater.

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad that I could help. :)

I'm also pleasantly surprised (but surprised nonetheless) that someone here knew that these were indeed obscure comic book references (even for most comic book fans) from the Golden Age of Comics, particularly from an artist who was only in the comic book industry for only three years (1939-1941).

This was particularly surprising considering that during the "Matías Almeyda 'Sweater' Saga" a little while ago, no one here seemed to know that the Eddie Brock / Venom references derived from the far less obscure Spider-Man lore and that the "purple blob" was actually Ronald McDonald's best friend Grimace from McDonald's lore. :eek:

While you likely meant that as an insult :(, I'll nonetheless take it as a compliment. :)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

bsman repped this.
  16. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also for historical reference:

It appears that Fantomah was the first female protagonist in comic books, even predating Wonder Woman's 1941 debut by a year or two. :eek:

-G

markmcf8 repped this.
  17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As was mentioned earlier here, all non-nationally televised MLS games are streamed on MLS Live/ESPN+ except in each MLS team's local/regional market because another channel already has the streaming rights for the local team within that market (in our case, the game will be streamed across Northern California on the NBC Sports Bay Area / California app). And since a vast majority of Earthquakes fans here seem to live in the Bay Area (with some a bit further out within Northern California), this thread's TV listings are listed accordingly.

Because you're evidently in North Carolina, though, you should have no problem watching this game on MLS Live/ESPN+ (though I'm not sure whether you'll be receiving the Earthquakes broadcast or the Austin FC broadcast).

I hope that helped. :)

-G

18. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Beerking and Goodsport repped this.
  19. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes sense. "As mentioned earlier" is difficult for those who do not live and breathe on this site. I'm on here often, but it's easy to miss a passing comment which is why I asked. Thank you.

Typically, I get the home team broadcast.

20. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The overturned red was absolutely the correct call. I think his passion got to him there. I would hope, however, that the official is getting reprimanded as well. He didn't show Almayda a red but then put something in his report which caused the league to suspend him. The only exception here is if there was video of Almayda doing something behind the referee's back.

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  22. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    TT fans will be pleased, big chance for Benji. Fierro get's another start. Still no word on Jebo. :(

line up.jpg

LongTimeQuakesFan'74 repped this.
  23. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    it probably was the wrong call. so was the free kick that led to their game tying goal. I'm thinking he was fuming about that call and then the red situation winds him up even more. we will probably never know exactly what was said and heard.