Pre-match: Austin FC - San Jose Earthquakes (Saturday, 9/18) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Sep 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San José exacting vengeance with the inner angst of Fletcher Hanks, Sr.?

Austin unleashing unrelenting wrath like Stardust the Super Wizard?

The Earthquakes untethering unbridled anger at the hosts like Fantomah? FC dishing it out to the visitors ala Big Red McLane?

Discuss.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game is scheduled to be televised live on both NBC Sports Bay Area Plus and NBC Sports Bay Area Plus HD (NBC Sports Plus and NBC Sports Plus HD on Comcast) at 5:00pm PDT.

• AT&T U-verse
      • NBCS BA Plus: Channel 771
      • NBCS BA Plus HD: Channel 1771
    • Comcast (both Bay Area and Sacramento area)
      • NBCS Plus: Channel 105
      • NBCS Plus HD: Channel 819
    • DirecTV
      • NBCS BA Plus: Channel 696-1
      • NBCS BA Plus HD: Channel 696-1
    • DISH Network
      • NBCS BA Plus: Channel 440-480*
      • NBCS BA Plus HD: Channel 9500-9599*

I hope that helped. :)

-G

* As of this posting, the exact channel has yet to be stated.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game will also be broadcast on the radio live on both KNBR 1050 AM (English) and KZSF 1370 AM (Spanish).

-G

4. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    upload_2021-9-13_16-59-41.png

The Quakes have a curiously palindromic record with Baldo - 12-7-12 - exactly the same number of wins and losses...

Goodsport repped this.
  5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Judson won't be available for this game due to yellow card accumulation. :thumbsdown:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

After tonight, this game doesn’t matter…

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every game continues to matter.

-G

markmcf8 repped this.
  8. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We will probably just find a new way to lose any way. Give players like Skahan, Haji and Benji a chance to start.

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is Skahan in for Judson, or maybe Remedi in for Judson with Skahan getting some minutes late, after the game is already lost.

I know that Chofis had a really good game Wednesday. But I want to see Skahan at the sort of #10 spot. So Chofis as a striker? Or on the wing like he was last game?

Nathanstein will be back, so that should help.

Is Shea available? Fiero was crap against Colorado, but he’s played better in the past, so hopefully he regains his medium good form.

I’d like to see Cade or even Benji, or better yet both start. We need more speed on the pitch. I’m happy to have Wondo come on as a sub, but he’s too slow to start.

I need whiskey. Maybe a Manhattan.

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

10. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Will we lose to Broccoli FC?

Doubtful, they suck worse than we do. :D

11. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    #11 Quakes05, Sep 16, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2021
    it will be close. Quakes on the road after a tough loss just last night...I'm guessing a hard-fought tie.

markmcf8 and Earthshaker repped this.
  12. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best part of that quote is that Stalin didn’t say it! Rush Limbaugh made that up. It sounds a lot like Stalin, but he didn’t actually say it. Hmmmm. An article here says that some other radio hosts made it up. I had heard a different version of the quote years ago. A buddy of mine, a library science nerd, researched it and said that there’s no record of that before Limbaugh used it in a broadcast.

Whatever, Stalin didn’t actually say that, which doesn’t change the fact that Stalin was a dick!

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

13. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Nah, we got this one in the bag guys. They really are bad. :)

Smurfquake and markmcf8 repped this.
  14. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Quakes are better on the road than at home. Strange

15. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Thompson healthy yet? I would like to see him get subbed in for last 20/30 minutes to start getting him match fit again.

16. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    He’s been in the 18 for several matches but sadly it appears Matías has little interest in playing him right now, even as a sub. He really was kind of the starter before he got injured (modulo some weird Judson as RB setups). And now due to injury he falls 2 places on the depth chart? It’s not like we’re killing it and we shouldn’t consider making any changes. Next time we’d surely see him is the friendly in Oct :-(.

markmcf8 repped this.
  17. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a reason why MLS Live/ESPN+ is never listed with the TV schedule here when it is on that outlet? This game, for example, is available there per MLSsoccer.com.

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    New and painful ways for the Quakes to lose: Nick Lima hat trick, stares down Matias all the way down the field after the 3rd.

19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Seems to me that MA's doghouse is just as inescapable as Dom's was...

markmcf8 repped this.
  20. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why don't you PM Goodsport and ask him rather than the world?

21. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I forgot about how one-on-one posts that aren't relevant to the thread are okay by some but if you have a real question directly related to the string/posts (like mine) and those same people aren't interested in them then they should be banned. After 5+ years in this forum it's still hard to keep up with the secret rules. (Especially since they only seem to apply to this forum and none of the other ones I use.)

I'd be surprised if there weren't others, who a likely afraid to ask for fear of being yelled at, who wonder the same thing. If you took my question as anything other than a serious question trying to understand and maybe help then you read into it wrong.

22. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do abecasis and marie have over Tommy? Marie maybe has a better shot but Tommy is superior at most other facets of the game. Abecasis is meh. At fault on the first RSL goal on wednesday. Nothing special defensively and not as good when in possession as tommy.

markmcf8 repped this.
  23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #23 JazzyJ, Sep 17, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    Abecasis is a better crosser and Marie has that shot that he pulls out now and then and is faster, but TT is a better ball winner than either and makes those deep runs into the box. I think Matias kind of forgot what he can bring to the team.

markmcf8 and SJTillIDie repped this.
  24. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We could tell you, but we'd have to kill you... :eek:;)

It's just that GS is the one who always initiates those (pre-game) threads - so from a functional perspective it would make more sense to ask him directly for a modification rather than in a post he may or may not see. Nothing more or less than that was implied.

25. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It is an outlier. I always look at road record in MLS for comparative strength of the teams...it normally tells a lot about the quality of the team. Generally, there are only and handful of teams that play over.500 ball on the road. A lot of playoff teams even have sub.500 road records. It is a crazy league, really skewed... very poor road records and generally glowing home records.

Looking solely at the Quakes road record, one would assume they are a playofff caliber team, but our home record is abysmally bad for MLS...really bizarre profile.

With even passable results at home, we'd be right in the thick of it...but we have this uncanny ability to lose focus in critical moments...especially at the end of the first half...giving up some really dumbass goals to kill our momentum and drop points

Strange season...