Post-match: Austin FC - San Jose Earthquakes (Saturday, 9/18) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Sep 18, 2021.

1. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the win, a road win, and hate to be a downer but...

I didn't get to watch the game until the 80th minute on, and even with Quakes up a man it's a miracle Austin did not tie and even go on to win the game. It was a disappointing last 20 minutes to watch.

Hope to catch the good parts later.

PS Cade and Nick exchanged jerseys after the game.

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I wasn't able to watch the game due to family obligations but I signed up for ESPN+ just to watch it a bit later, and it's telling me it's blacked out in my area :-(. There's no indication it's going to be blacked out, and when I click on the replay it loads! And then, womp womp, a few seconds later, "this event is blocked out in your area". I'm hoping that it'll become available to watch as a replay at some point. Man ESPN+ is awful. Now I remember why I cancelled. Hulu is almost as bad.

Anyway, nice to see that we got a win.

Quakes05 repped this.
  3. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that. I was glad that I didn't see Lima engaged in any shenanigans - he may have been in the scrum after the PK but he wasn't obviously being an ass, and he wasn't the one who tried to roll Lopez off the field. Glad to see he was remaining classy while a number of his teammates were not.

Beerking, markmcf8 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Save yourself some time and just watch the second half, if possible. Although that Lopez goal in the first, definitely worth a look.

JazzyJ repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You mean this one?

Goodsport repped this.
  6. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cade turned the ball over so many times to Austin it's fitting he turned over his jersey as well.

7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    With the victory, the Quakes 538 Playoff Chances rocketed up from 10% to 12%!!

8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My funniest moment was Remedi getting fouled by Ring -- the yellow that led to the sendoff -- rolling on the ground waving his fingers at Baldy to ask for a card, as if he were at a restaurant requesting the check.

mjlee22 repped this.
  9. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A win, but we played like shxt especially after being a man up. If not for Chofis, we would be lucky to get a tie. Five goals in a week. No one should question his "body language" any more. Period.

Benji had a decent game and he had some speed and skill in tight space for a kind of lanky guy. He should have more time as starter since we don't know when Jebo will be back.

On the other hand, Cade didn't do a single thing right tonight. Zero. It should be his game with more space but he just kept losing the ball and making one bad decision after another. Very disappointing. There is a reason why he was not ready for prime time.

Fiero continued to be bad.

Midfield of Yueill and Remedi was a black hole. Remedi won the ball and then made a bad pass. Rinse and repeat. Yueill was slow to react and continued to ball watch. That space right around the center of the penalty box was so wide open. Not only this game, but in the RSL game too. It looked like Yueill and Remedi both didn't want to do the dirty work and both wanted to just make a killer pass.

I also don't want to see Paul Marie playing again, even as a sub. Whenever he was on the field, it was chaos. I would not even want him as depth next year.

I don't understand how the Austin goalie did not receive a red card. The ref and VAR failed here.

10. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A couple of interesting points from the postgame press conference: 1.Matias Almeyda attended the postgame press conference and was interviewed instead of Omar Zarif. 2. JT Marcinkowski talked about how nice and hardworking Chofis is.

The Aftershock: San Jose Earthquakes at Austin FC
    Quakes Epicenter
    Welcome to The Aftershock! This is the 27th episode of Quakes Epicenter's new Youtube show, hosted by Phillip Leyva and Alex Morgan. We break down the San Jose Earthquakes' 2021 Major League Soccer second away game at Austin FC. We will talk to Matias Almeyda and JT Marcinkowski after the game.

63 minute YouTube video:

markmcf8 repped this.
  11. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    At 3-1 I thought the Quakes had no chance to win. They looked defeated. The end of the game was terrible. The Quakes could not maintain, or even obtain, much possession. They had one more player than Austin, yet Austin looked like it was up a man. Guys like Cade Cowell gave away the ball constantly, and Austin was given once chance after another by the Quakes to level it. They seemed to have no idea of how to close out a game and use a man advantage. If they had that much trouble against the last-place Western Division team, it isn't looking good for the next 9 games. RSL won today. EQ have 9 games to go but are about 7 points out of 7th place (if other was win their games-in-hand). I think the Wednesday RSL game result, for any realistic purposes, took the EQ out of playoff contention, and RSL's result today just made that even clearer.

markmcf8, Beerking and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  12. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to get a win. Chofis was impressive but as a team Quakes didn’t look to impressive. As others have mentioned at times they looked like the tea down a man. And what had happen to Cade ? Guy just keeps making bad decisions and giving the ball away to easily and to often.

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Do the Quakes have enough road games left to make a playoff run? Can't play well at home but they do get points away.

They need the JuRY midfield with Chofis at right wing to have any chance. Judson and Chofis have been ridiculously good lately.

Sactown Soccer and markmcf8 repped this.
  14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One could substitute those names with those of some of both teams' players and it would read like a postgame report. :D

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thinking over more, it was a good win comeback for the Quakes although along with TFC, they are the worst teams in the league.

The ref lost total control of the game and their GK should have been red carded for his shove.

Our defense was bad and they have now allowed in 6 goals in the last two games.

The Quakes also seemed to struggle against 10 men in the final 20-30 minutes of the game and Austin seemed to dominate.

Either way, I don't really believe in luck but the Quakes seemed real lucky last night.

markmcf8 and mjlee22 repped this.
  16. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

markmcf8 repped this.
  17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #42 falvo, Sep 19, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Yes which is even worse.....

18. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I want Broccoli FC every week. :D

falvo repped this.
  19. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

20. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Jazzy, sorry you had to discover that (which others like me discovered in the beginning with ESPN+). It sometimes takes 3 days for a blacked out game to become available, but I’ve also seen where it never becomes available. However, this game was so wild (up until the ejection, after which Quakes were shadows of themselves), that I am sure they will enable it.

This is why I always record the Quakes games on u-verse DVR because I am never sure I will be able to watch it on ESPN+. Also if it plays on Fox or Univision I am pretty sure that it never shows up on ESPN+.

21. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW what is a better Spanish version of Goonies? I came up with Los Goonieremos…

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #47 JazzyJ, Sep 19, 2021
    I didn’t bother to follow the pregame posts about this, but I think this is the reason I dropped ESPN+ a few years ago. Road games, which I don’t attend, tend to.be unavailable, but home games, which I generally attend, are available. It makes no sense for me.

I have barebones cable but I’m
    able to watch most road games on YoutubeTV.

I would complain and ask for my money back because I don’t think there’s indication you can’t watch a game until you click on it after it’s started. That was way after my purchase decision. But it’s not that much $ and not really worth the effort.

mjlee22 repped this.
  23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #48 bsman, Sep 19, 2021
    My daughter says if she was coaching she’d have a drill where all the players stand in a circle around Cade and throw or kick a ball at him hard, from different angles. He has to trap them all. She says Wondo also needs that drill.

she also says that if she was the Quakes coach she’d have more cards than MA. She needs no anger translator! :ROFLMAO:

24. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    #49 Quakes05, Sep 19, 2021
    Also noteworthy: that game was won on the road without Judson, Shea, Wondo and of course Flo...

...somehow the team is staying cohesive despite all the starting 11 juggling Matias is having to do.

25. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Interesting in the Aftershock: the comments about JT's leadership potential. He's well-spoken and authoritative. I could see it. I'm not sure there's anyone else on the team now who looks like an obvious captain once Wondo retires.