Aussie W-League 18/19

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by SiberianThunderT, Oct 4, 2018.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I believe the schedule has been out for at least a month already, but rosters are starting to fill out, so I think it's high time to start this thread up again!

One particularly interesting note (to me at least) right now is the fact that the W-League has its first Marquee Player, as Perth has decided to shell out for Kerr this year! Nice to see the league following in the footsteps of the men's league; I fully expect City to list a player or two as Marquee soon as well now that the option is open.

It's gonna be interesting: we normally talk about how the W-League had its "big three" before City came crashing in, though I'm also kinda watching how the Glory and Jets are giving the Victory trouble in trying to break into the top echelon. I'm also still watching for when Adelaide finally breaks out into the playoffs! X-D (Hey, they had two respectable years before hitting the basement again last year, so fourth is certainly a possibility, right?)

Also, I still want to see a tenth team and a longer season. Shame neither of those have happened yet.

blissett repped this.
  2. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm on the "Adelaide will get into the finals" train this season. Just a gut feeling. I wouldn't mind seeing them get in at the expense of City.

I think Canberra is a good pick for the Wooden Spoon. They're just losing too many good players and not replacing them with equally talented players.

I'll give my preseason predictions once the rosters are finalized.

blissett repped this.
  3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, happy to be here again for another Aussie W-League thread. Did I possibly already knew you anywhere else, guys? :coffee:

Good chances that I'll root for Brisbane Roar this season. Why, you say? Oh, well, because of this little piece of transfer-info:

Here are official news about Yuki Nagasato's loan from Chicago Red Stars, along with a mini-résumé of her career.

So, I guess my allegiance for Brisbane this season could only be put in danger if Yukari Kinga would be back to Aussie-League, after winning it with Melbourne City in early 2018. Any news about the chance of Kinga coming back to Westfield-W-League? :cautious:

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's not directly sourced, but in the past 24hrs, someone added Kinga to City's list of internationals on the season's Wiki page. I've looked for a Tweet about it to confirm but haven't seen one yet.

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #5 hotjam2, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    blissett repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I had realized that it was a very serious injury when I had seen her by the sideline on a wheelchair at the NWSL title match.

I wish her all the best for her full recovery in time for WWC.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    blissett repped this.
  9. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SiberianThunderT repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Does anyone know if there ia a special reason why the Japanese players in the league weren't starter in this first match and weren't even listed on the bench? Any news about Kinga and Nagasato?

11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    didn't see this one coming; MC once again beats the powerhouse Sidney with Jasmine Spencer;s hat trick(that's more goals than she scored in last season's NWSL, lol)

blissett, take a look who's in the lineup of MC? No, not the J player you been asking about, but the one that got the red, seems(as they say)your a jack of all trades! lol
    https://us.women.soccerway.com/matc...ia/w-league/melbourne-city/sydney-fc/2915285/

12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    With all due respect to SFC's history and current roster-building, MC's history and current roster-building has generally been better these past three or so years anyway. So no way this is a surprising result.

14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Last year,Sydney made it to,the finals with an all Aussie team this one expect to be stronger with 4 top American players. MC squad looks a little weaker, but then the W-league is like a box of chocolachocolates; you never who's going to show up!

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah, this year's SFC side looks a bit stronger than last year's, and this year's MC side looks a bit weaker than last year's - but remember that MC beat SFC in the final last year! Even with the tweaks, MC beating SFC again still isn't surprising. It's not that SFC isn't strong - all I'm saying is that MC has generally come out ahead over the past few years, and there isn't a huge reason to expect those to have flipped (a small reason, yes, but not a big one).

16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's the full Newcastle/Melbourne Victory game

nice to see Amy Harrison again, unfortunately in he broadcaster's booth, not on the playing field/ Guessing still hasn't recovered after two ACL's in a row

17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Crazy week down under! City lose the (home) derby match to the Victory, Jets knock off Canberra, and - maybe the biggest result - Adelaide knock off Brisbane in Brisbane! On a goal from Dasher Latsko, no less. =-) (Perth beat on hapless Wanderers 3-0 in the other match this week.) Just two points separate 2nd from 8th in the ladder right now.

blissett repped this.
  19. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the unpredictability this year. I also love that there have been some really top-notch goals scored already. That strike by Vine to beat Canberra was just sick.

20. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sydney looses despite it's all star lineup
    Canberra United vs. Sydney - 2 December 2018 - Women Soccerway

17 year old Roastbekhen(major spell check!) step to plate for Aussies & score(5 out of the top 6 league goals scorers are foreigners) & nice to see Amy Harrison back(think she would of been the Matildas next superstar if it wasn't for ACL's two years in a row). Huerta finally gets to play right FB(albeit, in a loosing role, lol)

21. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Sydney has scored 5 goals in each its two last games -- and it looks like Sydney -- after a miserable start -- is on track to challenge for the league championship.

To the extent that one can tell from the stats three Yanks on Sydney have stepped up big time in the last couple of games. In the last match against Adelaide, they had three of the five goals and led the team in touches: Colaprico, 97; Huerta, 82, and McCaskill, 78.

Huerta has led the team in touches most matches, but it is gratifying to see Colaprico becoming the go-to player in the midfield -- if the number of touches is any indication of that.

Huerta is listed as a right back, but she seems to be getting forward a lot -- given the numerous shots she is taking. She's trying hard to persuade Jill Ellis that she needs another try at the position

This is all speculation on my part, as I haven't seen any of the full matches. Does anybody have a way to stream the W-league? I am soccer-deprived.

22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    WWC_Movement just posted 3 full games over on his youtube page
    MovementEntertainment - YouTube

I admit, I stopped watching cause I was expecting 'Shrimp on the Barbie' instead all we getting is greasy cheeseburgers & fries!(the way our 3rd tier Yanks are sweeping up on goals)

Smallchief repped this.
  23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Two five-goal games in a row is eye-opening, but I wouldn't by ready to bet good money on Sydney until they can prove it's consistency and not a flash in the pan.

Interesting side note: no matter what happens in the upcoming Roar-Victory match, there will still be no more than 3pts separating 2nd (10pts) from 8th (7pts) by the end of this matchweek, with the Victory anywhere from 3 to 6pts clear at the top. It's still anyone's guess as to who qualifies for the playoffs this year.

blissett repped this.
  24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, a lot has happened in only three rounds since the last post here...

My Canberra hasn't won a match since their R5 victory over SFC - who, despite following that loss with two five-goal matches and another win since, are still two points out of the playoff berths.

Melbourne City is one point out of playoffs but has played an extra game versus the two teams above them - short of a final-month push, this might be the first time they miss the playoffs.

In fact, overall, that tight table from early December (three points between 2nd and 8th) has now spread out a fair amount. Perth managed to momentarily overtake the Victory at the top of the table for one round, but I'd say stratification is settling in now. Bad news for teams outside the playoffs...

...but great news for Adelaide, who are looking at their first-ever playoff berth! They even play the bottom 3 teams over the next 3 weeks, so might they even make a premiership push? It's certainly possible - they have a game in hand over Perth and the Victory, too.

sbahnhof repped this.
  25. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    BS poster, blissett, is too bashful to post this but his fave, Kinga, got a brace in MC's romp over Newcastle, I noticed from the lineups, newbie Hallie Mace(who also scored)
    Melbourne City vs. Newcastle Jets - 20 January 2019 - Women Soccerway

my question is; why would an league/it's rules, allow newcomers in with just a few games left during the regular season?(its just not the way things are done in my neck of the woods!(