Aussie W-League '15-'16

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by SiberianThunderT, Sep 10, 2015.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Might be time to start this year's thread up! (Last year's thread here.)

I will admit I thought about state the W-League thanks to the ongoing hostage situation with the Matildas between the PFA and the FFA, but that's discussion for another thread...

This year, the W-League has a ninth team with the addition of Melbourne City FC, and a new TV contract with Fox Sports after being dropped by ABC. Earlier this week, the official schedule was revealed. Sadly, it's one again just two games shorts of a full home-and-away schedule... But I guess if the league keeps expanding, being just two games short means less and less in terms of balance, and only annoys detail-oriented people like me. X-D

Of note:
    -we're back to a schedule that actually crosses the calendar year divide, with four gameweeks after Christmas (and surprisingly no Christmas break like usual) and the finals in the last two weekends of January.
    -defending champions Canberra do not appear to have a bye week any time in late November/early December, which would in theory be the Nestle Cup window... Sad to see that competition appears to be dead.
    -each intracity derby gets two matches, but last year's Grand Final rematch only happens once.

gricio61 repped this.
  2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hey @BlueCrimson , what are your thoughts on Sydney's chances this year? I haven't kept up on player transfers much (from focusing on NWSL).

3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Sydney has a better shot this season for a few reasons:

-More firepower up top. Last season Spencer was carrying the offensive load by herself. This year she'll have help from both Simon and Leena Khamis.

-The midfield, most notably Bolger and captain Polias, has long been a strength of Sydney's, and it's remained intact. They should be more effective with having more targets up top to feed and better support from the backline.

-The defense has been strengthened by the return of Kennedy from Perth. Having one of the best CB in the World Cup is a big boost. She should balance out the ineptitude of Unzular and she has a solid partner in Rollason.

There are, however, a couple of question marks:

-Last season Dan Barrett didn't really have time to put his stamp on the team. They were still trying to play Staj-ball even after Staj left. And while the squad is still mostly intact from last season, he'll have the time to get the team playing his style, whatever that is. Whether that style is still Staj-ball or something else, it's unknown how effective it'll be.

-With Dumont missing the season due to a knee recon, the only keeper currently on the roster is Sham Khamis. She's serviceable, but still very young. There are still two roster spots open, so Barrett will definitely be on the lookout for a second keeper. With Williams returning for Canberra, Jones may be available for pickup.

4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    the only way Sydney will win is if Amy Harrison finally has grown enough to become the superstar potential that I've touted her to be! But at age 19, she might not be there just yet. And speaking of superstar, it's Sam Kerr & Catlyn Foord all the way, baby!(if their still with Perth Glory). Do you know any link to the club lineups?

5. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only team that's announced their squad for this season is Sydney. Most teams have just announced a few signings, and nothing from the Victory yet. We don't even know who their coach is for this season.

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    thewomensgame.com had a hidden tab last year that listed all the squads (as well as were known) before the season started... I hope they do that again

7. Matilda Maniac

Matilda Maniac Big Soccer Memebr

Sep 21, 2006
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Glory have so far announced re-signings of Sam Kerr, Caitlin Foord, Mackenzie Arnold, Kim Carroll, Shannon May, Sarah Carroll and Thia Eastman.

Collette McCallum has retired, but will be assistant coach.

full squad announced on September 25th

8. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    right now their missing the Matildas #1 central back in Kennedy, a pretty good mid in Tabain, and the Canadian fb, Zadwosky, who's playing currently in Sweden, but that league's soon coming to a close.

Kellond & Van Egmond look like their having terrific seasons over in Germany, so wonder if any foreign players are coming on the W-League to spruce up the teams?

9. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kennedy is playing for Sydney FC this season.

10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 BlueCrimson, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    There's going to be a flurry of signings announced over the next couple weeks, so here's a list of who each side currently has for Season 8 (I'm splitting this up into two posts):

Adelaide United:
    Tiarn Powell
    Claudia Jenkins
    Marijana Rajcic
    Lauren Steer
    Matilda McNamara
    Grace Abbey

Brisbane Roar:
    Clare Polkinghorne
    Katrina Gorry
    Tameka Butt
    Brooke Spence
    Vedrana Popovic
    Emily Gielnik
    Amy Chapman
    Kate Stewart

Canberra United:
    Emma Checker
    Michelle Heyman

Melbourne City:
    Lisa DeVanna
    Laura Alleway
    Larissa Crummer
    Beattie Goad
    Alex Chidiac
    Monique Iannella
    Steph Catley
    Marianna Tabain
    Trudy Burke
    Rebekah Stott

11. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part 2:

Newcastle Jets:
    Tara Andrews
    Claire Coelho
    Rhali Dobson
    Georgia Yeoman-Dale
    Libby Copus-Brown
    Cassidy Davis

Perth Glory:
    Sam Kerr
    Caitlin Foord
    Kim Carroll
    Mackenzie Arnold
    Shannon May
    Sarah Carroll
    Thia Eastman

Sydney FC:
    Sham Khamis
    Teigen Allen
    Renee Rollason
    Liz Ralston
    Alanna Kennedy
    Servet Unzular
    Ellyse Perry
    Nicola Bolger
    Nat Tobin
    Teresa Polias
    Olivia Price
    Amy Harrison
    Trudy Camilleri
    Sunny Franco
    Princess Ibini
    Jas Spencer
    Kyah Simon
    Leena Khamis

No signings for Melbourne Victory and Western Sydney Wanderers yet.

hotjam2 repped this.
  12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hotjam2 and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Point of order: I seriously derped here.
    It's 14 rounds, but with no midweek games at all and two three-game rounds, it comes out to 12 games per team, four short of a full home-and-away instead of 14 games per team, two short of a full home-and-away. So even more disappointing. Dunno how I whiffed on that one so hard...

gricio61 repped this.
  14. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It hasn't been officially announced yet, but Fishlock is set to join Melbourne City this season.

15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Fantastic catch!(that along with Tabian previously from Perth)
    How does it work it in the W-League? Is there a salary cap? Can teams buy or trade or are players just free agents? and is there a team limit on foreign players?

16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Contracts in the W-League are one season deals. Basically every player is a free agent every year. But there's no trade system like in the US or transferring of players, since the season is so short. And although a player could go to any team they want, the extremely low pay is prohibitive.

There is a salary cap. It's 150,000 for one season. But most teams don't get near the limit. Perth's minor premiership winning team had a total salary base of 50,000. The only team that's even gotten close to the cap limit is Canberra, and that's thanks to sponsorships. They don't have an A-League team to latch on to, but they are well supported.

The current international limit is 3 per team, with one additional international permitted for up to 7 games as a "guest player". The 7 game limit for a guest player cost Canberra the services of Kendall Fletcher for last season's Grand Final. She started her stint with Canberra a week early because they were struggling and she wanted to help ensure they made finals.

gricio61, SiberianThunderT and hotjam2 repped this.
  17. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And as it turns out, the Victory do have a coach. They got Dave Edmonson back.

18. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I'm not even a die hard Victory fan but if this is true I'm smarting from the decision. To move to the new cross town rivals??? Poor form.

Also, didn't Catley make the jump as well?

19. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the Victory have been pretty much picked clean by City. They're not the only team that's losing players to City, but they've been hit the hardest. I would be surprised if the Victory were in contention for a finals spot this season.

Not every team has named its squad, but based on the signings that have been made public thus far, my early picks for top 4 are Perth, Canberra, City, and Sydney.

20. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hearing a rumor that Nikki Stanton is going to Perth.

21. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we just hate every team with "City" in its name? :D

22. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I save all my hatred for one City team.

23. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more tidbit from the rumor mill: Hayley Raso is headed to the Victory.

24. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    looks like FC Sydney should be early favorites/ They not only picked up the country's #1 cb in Kennedy, but now got a 2nd target player in Simon(so that they're attack via Spencer wouldn't be so predictable), Just wish Amy Harrison would move to another team, since Sydney is too stacked now and too much of a passing team, where as Harrison is a Kristy/Sam Mewis type player who's more comfortable running up & down the field with the ball
    what color will her bow be this time?

25. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Betos will be joining Sydney. Nairn is also rumored to be returning to the Victory.

SiberianThunderT repped this.