Aussie Rules Grand Final

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by NEKSoccer, Sep 22, 2003.

1. NEKSoccer

NEKSoccer Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Long Island, NY
    AFL Grand Final will pit defending champion Brisbane Lions against the Collingwood Magpies. Who do you think will win? Let me know. Write away!

2. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I think Collingwood, but it depends if Anthony Rocca gets suspended by the tribunal. If he does, I'd lean towards Brisbane making it 3 in a row.

3. NEKSoccer

NEKSoccer Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Long Island, NY
    Good old Collingwood forever! They know how to play the game!

Actually, Brisbane Lions seem to have ignited a fever in a rugby league city for Aussie Rules, or have they not?

4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't they maintain a lot of the old Fitzroy support?

5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Is this game going to be shown on TV in the US?

6. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friday, Sept 26
    Fox Sports World/Fox Sports Canada
    11:00 pm ET: A-Z of Aussie Rules Football.
    11:30 pm ET-4:00 am ET (LIVE) Grand Finale:
    Collingwood vrs Brisbane.

LB...

7. Sykotyk

Sykotyk Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DestroyerFan, is that you?

Sykotyk

8. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Anybody who ever complains about any of the shenanigans MLS pulls at their "big events" -- MLS All Star Game, MLS Final -- should have seen the pre-game "entertainment." Oh...my...god... This makes 3rd Eye Blind's halftime "performance" at the All Star game look like the Beattles concert on the roof. I'm glad American sports don't have the cheese market cornered.

I'm digging all the highlights of the Hall of Fame inductees, though. Love the mullets. If the AFL instituted a mandatory mullet rule, it could be huge in America.

9. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Half way through the hour and a half pre-game.

10. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Over 2,000 Americans now play Australian Rules Football. Watch out curling!

11. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What times Kickoff?

I'm already tired and don't have fSW in the bedroom...yet.

12. Wade Bills

Wade Bills New Member

Oct 15, 2000
    West Jordan, UT
    I won't talk about the result of the match since there isn't an '[R]' in the header and the game is usually repeated a few times by FSW.

The endless pregame show always seems to be the same. Before I tuned into the game, I was joking with my wife how they always do the same sort of thing (Waltzing Matilda, the giant replica jerseys of the legends, lots of school children dancing around, etc.) Sure enough, when I tuned in, right at that moment some singer was performing Waltzing Matilda and the screen is showing one of the giant jerseys.

Looks like the crowd has a lot of fun at these matches though. Great fun down under.

13. Craig the Aussie

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Its funny - most people here would love to see the pregame abolished, and the have just the traditional "curtain raiser" match.

As it is the Under 18's match is played very early, and then all the rubbish is on.

14. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
  15. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Help me out with the nomenclature here.

1. One of the Channel 10 commentators mentioned that one of the teams lost three Grand Finals in 18 months.

How can that be, if one and only one is played every year?

2. How long are the quarters these days? I thought there were four 20-minute quarters (counting down), but the fourth term in this Grand Final lasted about 31 minutes, and the clock counted up on the screen. What is up with that, and who controls the hooter?

3. Why is the Australian Football League now known as a "Premiership?" Is there promotion and relegation?

4. How did the Fremantle Dockers do so well this year? Weren't they an expansion team from the 1990s?

5. When was the last time an AFL contest went into overtime? And what is the procedure?

16. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Re: Brisbane and the use of drugs

The article says they used 18 vials of painkillers during the final. Isn't that basically 18 shots? I'd guess that's in the same neighborhood as an NFL game. But I'm talking out of my Kirovski, so who knows.

This last paragraph was interesting:

17. Craig the Aussie

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    1. I assume they were incuding the final of the pre season Cup competition (which noone really cares about)
    2.The quarters are 20 minutes of playing time. Every time there is a score, ball goes out etc, time is stopped. Time/Hooter is controlled by off-field timekeepers. The TV (Channel 10) just keeps showing elapsed time. On the games shown by Channel 9, they show the actual clock.
    3. It has always been called that. The winner of any competition in Australian sports is called the "Premier". No promotion/relegation. The 16 AFL teams are fixtures in the competition.
    4. The Docker made the finals for the first time this yerar, but were knocked out early. Yes, came in in 1997 I think.
    5. Last time I can remember for a Grand Final was 1977. In those days the match was replayed the following week. Now they play 2 periods of overtime. In the regular season it is just a draw.

18. Desigol

Desigol New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    County Tyrone, NI
    So, 3 in a Row for Brisbane. :( But they looked awsome, especially Akermanis. So, who's in the All-Australian/International Rules squad? I assume Craig the Aussie knows.

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thanks. I knew most of number 2, but the rest was new to me.

I like the Grand Final, though you guys are right about the cheesy stuff. Still, I think it's cool to honor the Hall of Famers at an event like this, though. That has to be nice for the fans to see some of the legends just before the big match.

20. Craig the Aussie

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
  21. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Go Brisbane.

Sure I follow hawthorn in the footy but I tipped the Brisbane Lions to win.

I don't think that Brisbane cheated, I think that Collingwood failed to win

22. Desigol

Desigol New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    County Tyrone, NI
  23. Craig the Aussie

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    It is a pretty ordinary team. Only 5 out of the 22 man All-Australian team will be playing.

It's to be expected that not all the AA's would play, as they are not all suited to the Compromise Rules, but a number of the drop outs would have been picked. Many top players are taking the opportunity to have operations.

As far as Bulldogs players go, Nathan Brown (soon to be an ex-Bulldog) is the pick - he played very well in Ireland last year.

24. westcoast929406

westcoast929406 New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    Just joined this forum,
    Yes am a West Coast Eagles supporter,
    Just trying to spread the word about our great game.
    Is there any interest in receiving news on the International expansion of Aussie Rules.

Must admit my eyes popped when I saw Aussie Rules thread, in this soccer land.

Would like to say that the Brisbane Lions are a very very good side. Would be a coaches dream.

Earlier in this thread it said Fox Sports World - Rupert and family- covered the Grand Final.
    They were put under a lot of pressure/lobbying to do this season. However it appears that there are now 2 other organisations interested in doing the broadcasts.
    Would like any comments

25. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to BigSoccer... San Jose Earthquakes and Geelong Cats supporter here. :)

Got a question for you...

I presume you mean States-side? Which outlets would those be?

I'd assume that Fox Sports World would have a stranglehold on any form of international sports broadcasts in the USA (aside from the soccer, although FSW does a lot of that, too). That is, in the way of Aussie Rules, cricket, rugby, Gaelic Games, etc...

However, being a transplanted Yank living in Australia, but a Yank nonetheless, I'm curious as to who else would be interested in cable-casting Aussie Rules in the USA.