Aussie Rules Forum

Discussion in 'Forum Requests and Voting' started by hiddink_magic, Oct 12, 2003.

1. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Even though there is a whole site dedicated to Aussie Rules I was wondering if we could have a particular forum on this site to do with aussie rules and stuff like that.

2. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    We all ready have one, its called "other sports."

3. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Ok thanks. Can I be a mod of that board please?

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Go Collingwood Magpies!
    Go New York Magpies!

5. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver

It's not that simple. You have to summit Everest, jello wrestle Carmen Electra (twice), smack the pope in the face, and then ask Huss nicely.

6. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Thanks. I think I will ask Huss nicely. Because I would love to become a mod on here.

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    So would I.... but we all know that's never gonna happen... :)

8. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    I can see that NYR Metros. Pity that you have been yellow carded.

9. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm affraid you are too sensitive to be a BS moderator.

Geez, is that me or do Australian internet users have a tendency to be controll freaks? I've been to many different forums, many of them moderated by Aussies, and Bigsoccer is the first where the discussion is not controlled like in a police state.

10. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Nice stereotype there mate!:)
    Us aussies aren't that bad. I reckon that we are all easy going.

11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Yes indeed. Tis a party that I have been Yellow Carded. Hopefully a kind mod will recind the card sometime this century. :)

12. the_baron

the_baron New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    County Tyrone
    I cheer for Geelong at League time and Collingwood at Play-Off time.

Damn those Lions and their '3 in a Row'. :(

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Yes..... curses to those Lions!!!! Go Magpies !!!!

14. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Carn those hawks!

15. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, how about Jason "Aka" Akermanis? This guy is a freak!!! Actually, I like him a lot. We need quirky characters like him in American asSOCiation football, to get better publicity for the sport. Some controversy is good, as long as the the player can back up their trash-talk with their play. He is probably the most colorful character, and few friends of mine consider him to be the "David Beckham of Australian Football". OK, no direct 1-to-1 comparison. But you get the idea.

OK, for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about: here are few links:

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=133635
    http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,8682401-23211,00.html
    http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,8707686-23211,00.html
    http://foxsports.news.com.au/afl/gallery/0,8667,,00.html

BTW, I'm not a Lions fan (or a fan of any specific team for that matter), just a neutral fan of the sport. I was "subconsciously" hoping that the Swans won the championship last year. But to be honest, I'm really neutral.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    How about a forum devoted to Other Football Sports, then?

We can put it on the page in Other Sports between "American Football" and it can be devoted to Rugby (Union, League, Sevens) Aussie rules, and the occasional odd Gaelic football thread.

Or we can just let those pop up on the lower part of other sports. Won't bother me at all either way.

17. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there needs to be a generic "Tackle Football" forum instead.

I suppose American Football already has its own forum called "Football". How about renaming it to "American Football" and creating a sibling forum called "Other Tackle Football"? This can accomodate Rugby Union, Australian Football, Canadian Football, Rugby League, and Gaelic Football.

18. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Australian Football chiefs target supremacy in the Rugby League heartlands - Queensland and New South Wales.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,8725527-23211,00.html

It seems the AFL has adopted a policy of moving away from the Victorian roots. That's why different financial rules from Sydney Swans and Brisbane Lions. Also the upcoming season will have regular season matches in Darwin, Tasmania and Canberra (ACT). This will cover all states. (South Australia and Western Australia are already covered with 2 clubs each: Fremantle/West Coast AND Adelaide/Port Adelaide).

Does Rugby League even have any exposure in places as far away as Perth? How about Adelaide and in Melbourne? Isn't there a Canberra team in the NRL (Raiders)? How about Melbourne? Do they have an NRL team, and if so what sort of attendance do they get? If you're not into Australian Football in Melbourne but Rugby League instead, you must be in heavy minority.

Add Rugby Union to this equation, and it gets even more confusing. It makes me wonder, is the presence of so many tackle football codes a reason why one isn't able to completely dominate the way American Football has managed to do in the US?

19. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mods: Any chance this thread be merged with the "Any Aussie rules fans in here" in Other Sports? Thanks!

I understand there is a better chance of hell freezing over than getting a forum for Australian Football. So this thread has pretty much lived out its purpose, and there's interesting stuff relevant to that thread.

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you'd of had you PMs turned on, you'd have more info.

21. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops, sorry about that. I do have the PMs turned on now. Would you mind sending the info again? Sorry for the bother again, and thanks!

22. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    Cricket, Rugby and Aussie Footy forum now open, check the link in my sig.

23. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    Thanks Mate.

24. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    But i think what he means is a sub board like in other places like for the UK clubs how they have their own threads.