Aussie Grella tells the truth: We were shown no respect, it was all a big joke

Discussion in 'Asian Cup 2007' started by Aussie Power, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Dannyd

Dannyd Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Sydney
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Far out, it's embaressing to see some of the bigotry and unintelligence shown by a couple of the Aussies on this board. However some of you are retaliating by tarring with one brush which is hardly fair either.

It's pretty obvious that comparing a kangaroo hop (which was subsequently proven to be unrelated anyway) is not comparable with the suggestion of mocking something as tragic as a bombing. However, it stems from being sore losers and lacking a bit of grey matter. It does not apply across the nation.

We do have some things to feel aggrieved about, but I don't think that we were victimised like some people are making out. It could be taken as respect in fact, the pleasure teams derived from beating us. We were viewed in the group as the team to beat afterall. The grass rolling is rife in Asian football, but it is not something exclusive to playing against Australia. Of course, Australia's reputation coupled with grass rolling culture worked as a double whammy in Grella's very questionable red. But these are hardly the things to blame for our exit. From the first match of the cup we looked ordinary. Even coming out of the Thailand game with 4 goals I felt we were lucky. We went into the tournament with a top class team and great expectations but played, for the most part, horribly. That is the reason we are out. People are quicker to point out the Grella red in our exit to Japan than the fact that Milligan stuffed up an almost routine clearance (despite his otherwise good performance) and gifted Japan a goal.

I do love the fire in Grellas belly. It is what makes him the competitor it is. In that position it is the sort of aggression you need. He is probably one of my favourite Socceroos, but he had a poor tournament. His mouth could have been used more constructively on this occasion.

The labelling happening between posters here is absurd and painful to read inbetween finding actual points in peoples posts. Yes there are some sore losers here. But sore losers exist everywhere. It is better to not dignify them with excessive effort, or emulate them by throwing equally generalised insults back across the table.

2. Fabaraby

Fabaraby Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Edge of Unaykish
    Club:
    Al Ahli Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Animals and jumping is one thing, death and war is another. :rolleyes:

3. AverageWhiteMale

AverageWhiteMale New Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Australia
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think he is trying to make the point about it being disrespectful to taunt your opposition. He only used bombing etc. as an example because that is what modern Iraq is associated with. I dont think he was really serious about anyone pretending to be blown up.

His point is no one would put up with it if it was Australia taunting Iraq.

And I dont think Grella is blaming the omanis et al for Australia's poor performance (They all have pretty much said they were to blame for their shithouse display). He is complaining (whinging) about the behaviour of some of the players and percieved bias by officials in regards to said behaviour. And again Grella is not captain so his comments in no way reflect the opinion of the team. If it was Viduka saying these things I would be worried.

4. refsuck

refsuck New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Mental Note:jumping like kangaroo in front of an Australian is disrespectful. Ok got that :rolleyes:

5. AverageWhiteMale

Jan 11, 2007
    Australia
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    So if they weren't doing it to taunt Australia why were they doing it?

6. cool_cat2007

cool_cat2007 New Member

Feb 20, 2007
    Allow me to summarize this threads most important points for people:

1. Imitating a kangaroo makes one helluva racist & bigoted individual :confused:

2. Imitating a kangaroo is as offensive as mimicking a terrorist bomber :rolleyes:

3. It has now been noted that 2. was only an analogy in great taste

4. Grella needs to shut the f**ck up!!! :D

5. Refs cost us in Asia

6. Iraq is associated with bombs and Australia to Kangaroos

All we need is a decent manager who doesn't shout aloud his tactics from the bench. Note to Arnold: Address the players of your game plan before letting the players get on the field.

7. Midorit

Midorit Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Tokyo
    Just ignore the troll,mate.

An average white male should be smart enough to know that;):D

8. AverageWhiteMale

Jan 11, 2007
    Australia
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You dont know Leeds supporters then. (White referes to Leeds):D If you go fishing odds are we'll bite.

Oh and I just read that the FFA are investigating Grella's comments.

9. vnlover

vnlover New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    I don't think he did anything wrong - ppl may think his comments are wrong but so what? isn't Australia a country where free speech is a right?

he said what he think and he didn't break any law, why would the FFA wanna "investigate" him? are they into communist mode now where they simply put down any one who say anything they don't like ?

10. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    you know, i really really wanted to see a korea-aussie showdown. not because i have a particular rival mentality with them.

I just wanted to know if korean D can hold off against a europeanish team. No offense to the Iraqis, but I already knew what korean D can do against mideast teams (Saudi, Bahrain, Iran). Can korean D hold off Aussie long ball? Can our defenders push off people like Viduka?

I'll never know since you guys didn't cooperate. Thank goodness Saudi beat japan, so at least I could see that instead of another Korea vs Saudi with the same probable outcome.

I don't follow aussie players, so i don't really know Aussie team. I only know one, since Lee Dong Gook happens to play with one. I don't read aussie sports news so i have no idea if any aussies are really "arrogant" or what not.

But i do know that Aussie team has prem players, and that makes them the target to beat for much of Asia. Congratulations, you guys are the unofficial "european" football ambassador to Asia. When they beat you, they think they are beating european football. You guys will now on perpetually be the "villains" of Asian Cup. But this should be more fun for you since victory will be sweeter. I'll say this though. I doubt Koreans will ever do kangaroo dances. We have no Aussie hangups. We've been to the World Cup too often and humbled to do any kangaroo dances beating Europe team in asian cup. Besides, we only reserve this type of behavior against Japan. ;)

So in anycase, are the Aussies really shocked that in a 'real' confederation there are real rivalries? You know you wanted this. You got it now.

Anyway, don't think of Japan as your rivals. You need to set your standards higher. I would say... look a bit west of Japan... just a teeny bit...

11. Lepman

Lepman New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Melbourne
    Anyway, don't think of Japan as your rivals. You need to set your standards higher. I would say... look a bit west of Japan... just a teeny bit...[/quote]

Think that is all fair enough and you are probably correct that due to the incorrect perception of the ignorant that Australia is a white man country that we will probably be seen as a team to beat. But I'm happy with that because as you say it will make victory all the sweeter.

The Aus team underperformed and just got knocked out by Japan but we are improving as I think you will see in the upcoming Asian Club Championship when my team the Melbourne Victory will give all comers a good run. In time the Aus national team will come out on top. Those more traditional rivals of Australia such as New Zeland, England and South Africa know not to underestimate us and know not to throw fuel on the fire... Bit late for that now the flames are burning and there is a title that we want!!!

For now well done Iraq!

12. To set the record straight, the Iraqi team jumped like kangaroos vs. THAILAND. Younis started it, I guess he meant it as a warning to the Aussies or whatever.

[​IMG]

If you want proof that they didn't do it vs. Australia, watch all 3 goals:

[youtube]uZdHOw4MqRk[/youtube]

13. Ganahal

Ganahal New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Thats prety good proof. Nice football Iraqs. You made decent Aussy D look like fool

I dunno what Grella's bich about

Australia were shit and they were slow. Koalas are gonna suck 1 more year of post-Hiddik then you'll turn around and get good again

14. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    I have never known many Aussies but after reading their fans' posts over the last year, and specially this thread, I can't help myself noticing the intelligence combined with grace in some of their fans, and the utter ignorance and foolishness in others. Unfortunately, the second one is the overwhelming majority.

15. Marlor

Marlor Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Australia
    I think that's a general trend on web forums, no matter where the users are from. I wouldn't take it as an indication of how the average Australian acts. :)

Also, BigSoccer seems to attract the crazies for some reason. I've been posting about the Asian Cup at the Whirlpool.net.au Sports Lounge forum too, and the discussion has been much more level-headed there.

16. Marlor

Marlor Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Australia
    I guess he saw the replay of the "kangaroo hopping" on TV, and things got confused in his memory.

He should have been more certain about what happened before he went ranting to a newspaper. But then, he shouldn't have been ranting and raving anyway, it does nobody any favours.

17. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The problem that we have to grasp is the concept of "Fair Play", If you've ever see our national games (AFL, Rugby) You get hit, You get up. If you take a dive, you are targeted by the media and the public. Diving is seen as a cardinal sin by the Australian public, and that is why there is such an uproar.

This is in no way an excuse, For we played like over payed players with big heads, and were dealt with accordingly by teams that we should have comprehensively beaten.

And Please, I accept that Australia has a long way to go in earning respect from the wider Asian community, But do not call us Kangaroo's or Koala's. If you want to refer to the team, Call them the 'Socceroos" or the "Aussies", If you want to refer to the people, Call them "Aussies". There is far to much people who think with their heart and not with their head on this board, Which produces racial attacks between posters.

Going on that topic .. Where are the Mods ??

18. Marlor

Marlor Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Australia
    Yeah. I think that's a big part of the problem. The average Aussie sees diving or time-wasting as "cheating" or "weak". If you are hit, you should take it and get back up immediately. Even the A-League is much more physical than your average football league.

In fact, gamesmanship like diving is probably one of the things holding football back in Australia. Every time someone dives or is stretchered off, the average Aussie says: "See, I told you soccer players are weak, cheating pansies".

19. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The fact that it is "cheating" & "weak" is a different matter. It is a blight on the beautiful game.

20. cool_cat2007

cool_cat2007 New Member

Feb 20, 2007
    As an Australian not looking through rose tinted glasses, I can tell you Kewell (3 times in the Japan game), Cahill, Bresciano are fairly consistent in the diving arts.

21. Marlor

Marlor Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Australia
    Yeah. Especially Kewell.

And if you go down to your local pub and mention football, then the rugby league and AFL fans there will surely tell you how much they hate him for it.

Thankfully, most of the other Socceroos are tough as nails and don't go down easily.

22. AverageWhiteMale

Jan 11, 2007
    Australia
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I dont know what it is with Kewell. Back in his Leeds days he wasn't as inclined to diving but since he had all his injury problems/went to liverpool he always looks like he is trying to take the easiest option (diving) while in and around the box rather then trying to take on (and beat) defenders.

23. DandyMick

DandyMick New Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Looks like your avatar ate it all:D

24. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ive been telling Kami that for awhile....apparently they like em like that over there.