Aussie Grella tells the truth: We were shown no respect, it was all a big joke

Discussion in 'Asian Cup 2007' started by Aussie Power, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Lepman

Lepman New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Melbourne
    I think Grella is just down and having a winge because his elbow cost us a chance of winning in reg time and he is making excuses. Who cares if Iraq did hoping Kangaroos, if it gets to you respond in the best way by playing good football. Aus lost because we wern't good enough and we need to address that no excuses. The only thing I thought that was mildly relevent is the grass rolling of Oman, I thought it was a bit of a joke and I don't think that anyone could disagree... but it isn't against the rules. Although I never want to see my team play like that... go down fighting not falling I say. And Aus fans like myself we need to take your medicine and deal with it, we will be back.

2. Lepman

Lepman New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Melbourne
    Dude you need to chill, we didn't lose because of tyrinical regimes or all that other stuff we lost because we wern't good enough. It's cool well be back and better for the expirience in the mean time rejoice in a magnificent against the odds win by Iraq. What champs to win the aisan cup in the circumstances, the players and coach should be rejoiced.

3. vagabondmd

vagabondmd Member

Feb 25, 2005
    dude, japan also grassrolls and plays cheap, but i guess we koreans are used to that bullshlt. i'd say only korea, iran, australia, and maybe vietnam play like men. also the fake injury crap is also a big problem in almost all latin countries like in the serie A, la liga, etc.... even brazil uses cheap tactics. that's why i can only watch EPL which doesn't tend to have all this crap. also MLS is not so bad i'm finding more and more, as the players play like men at least.

4. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    :D

Wish I had seen that....its a pretty good rip....not as good as Ahn impersonating a speed skater but pretty damn funny.

Wonder what possessed the Iraqis into doing something like that.

5. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We played like shit, we took this cup for granted....but somehow someway....we are the victim....

This Aussie rant makes no sense. I expected a lot more from these guys.

6. Σπάρτα Spártā

May 17, 2007
    Sydney
    Racist bigotry? :rolleyes:

7. Σπάρτα Spártā

May 17, 2007
    Sydney
    Lol I dunno if I'd take it that far as not all of Asia is Muslim anyway although there are a certainly several tyrannical states which go to great lengths to keep peoples mouths shut. There seems to be an accepted attitude of not speaking out about certain issues (in sports as well as outside issues) and condemning those who do speak out as being racist. They also like to use poor excuses for Australia being racist. This forum proves it.

As for the crap about serie -A, Italy is not the only place where bribes are taken. And he was playing for Australia not Italy so Italy has nothing to do with it.

8. saelevena

saelevena New Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    the best thing for grella to do is shut his mouth. seriously, australia were shown no respect? well what did you expect?! australia came into this cup with arrogance, underestimating the asian teams and expecting to win it all. asia let australia enter and compete in this tournament so australia should have entered with respect and then earn it through their football. but what football? australia played like crap. painful to watch, really. australia needs to do something about their attitude and as far as im concerned, there are other areas in which they need to do something about. yes, when put pen to paper, australia had the team to win it with all their 'star' players, but they have to learn how to play as a team and control the ball.

anyways, iraq deserved to win the cup. i think they played great football.

9. vagabondmd

vagabondmd Member

Feb 25, 2005

good post. before the tourny, i thought australia had a solid team capable of winning. i always thought that australia however was a little too cocky with their "stars". grella's comments proved that this was true. the fact that he fails to grasp the fact that it was his team that didn't show respect speaks volumes about the attitude of the socceroos. anyhow i hope they learned from this tourny that there are no push overs in asia.

10. Σπάρτα Spártā

May 17, 2007
    Sydney

What bullshit! What a load of crap! Do you actually believe half the crap the daily telegraph posts? HAlf of the shit posted about Australia being confident came from Graham Arnold and the moron editors of the paper, not the players. Arrogance my ASS! There was no arrogance on the players part, lazyness yes, frustration and anger yes, arrogance no! No Australia didn't have the f**** team, because they were missing a DECENT coach for a start and when you have a shit coach all the players in the world mean NOTHING! How do you think Australia got to the world cup? By players alone? No they had a coach who could bring out the BEST in those players. Grella is right for opening his mouth, at least he had the guts to do it.

11. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Wow the similarity of this post with those from Koreans a year or two after Hiddink is uncanny.

12. Σπάρτα Spártā

May 17, 2007
    Sydney
    Wow. really?

13. Midorit

Midorit Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Tokyo
    Yes.

14. AverageWhiteMale

AverageWhiteMale New Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Australia
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Firstly I would like to point out that Grella can barely speak english as it is (Bugger all schooling apparently), so dont expect an eloquent description of his emotions.

I think some of you are being confused about what respect means. Respect is not the opposite of arrogance they are unrealated terms. What he means is that Australia were never treated as 'equals' in the eyes of the media/refs etc.

Comments by Australians were always interpreted as arrogance where as similar comments by the Japanese were confidence. The Japanese also indirectly claimed that we were dirty players but If the Australians were to comment on the Omani time wasting it was an outrage that these new comers had commented negatively on Asian football.

The same applies with some of the refereeing decisions like diving and dissent. Lucas Neill was absolutely slaughtered in the media after his dismissal in the Iraq match but in another match a player actually threw the ball at a linesman after getting a decision against him and as far as I am aware he didn't even get carded let alone commented on with such hatred as Lucas had to put up with. So whether it was intentional or not the Socceroos have atleast some reason to feel like they were picked on by the refs when compared to similar incidents.

Whether what Grella said needed to be repeated again, Im not too sure but I can see where he is coming from.

edit:
    I even seem to remember Viduka was commented on by someone (either the Japanese or one of the Thailand players I think) about his banter during the game and this was interpreted as "Disrespectful, dirty Aussie" but Grella has shown that they all gave as good as they got.

15. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think his comments make Aussies look like spoiled brats.

Welcome to Asia.

16. saelevena

saelevena New Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    hey i'm not here to argue, i'm just merely expressing my opinion. graham arnold was arrogant, whatever, okay. grella being the first to open his mouth like that shows something. i just think that they should have entered this tournament without expecting alot just because they had a good run in the world cup. they should have come and earned respect by first showing asia what they can do with their football. look, australia showed us what they're capable of during the world cup and they have great individual players. obviously they really need a coach who is able to bring out the potential and help them play as a team with attractive football. hopefully they find one that fits their criteria.

17. Midorit

Midorit Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Tokyo
    Fair enough.I don't agree with everything you say here but I see you have a point.

I agree with you on how media here sometimes tried to turn people against Australia unnecessarily by calling out their "arrogance" when it was a simple case of pep talk.Media in Japan have run some stories about how Aussies looked down on Asian countries and quite a few people here actually believed it.

I would say Australia should've expected it to some extent as they're a big name newcomer.Also,although I hate to bring this up,Australia is a "white" country which made it easier for the media here to highlight their "arrogance".

Unfortunately Aussies will have to put up with the vilification from the media at least for a while for the above reasons.I just hope that Aussies won't have to feel that there are biased guys in black on the pitch...

18. Midorit

Midorit Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Tokyo
    Good post(and I like the club you support too).

Anyway,didn't we all agree that every country in this tournament had the worst coach in the world?:D

19. AverageWhiteMale

AverageWhiteMale New Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Australia
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Except for IRAQ!!!!

20. Marlor

Marlor Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Australia
    I find that bizarre.

Australia is a multicultural country, filled with immigrants from pretty much any country you can name. Most of our football players are of continental European descent, but that's just because Australian competitive football was almost exclusively played by European immigrants until recently.

21. saelevena

saelevena New Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    thanks :) i like arsenal too, although it's a shame henry left. kinda similar to werder actually, with klose. i guess now is the time for the young guns to step up and shine.

22. The One & Only

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    Oct 8, 2006
    산 속에
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    This thread to Korea is like: been there, done that.

And still people in Bigsoccer still can't respect Korea.

That's fine, because once a rival, always a rival.

To get respect, you have to earn it by beating the crap out of teams like 5-0 to show them who's boss.

On the other hand, Australia did a considerable job by barely getting into the knock-out stage.

Anyways it will take a while for Australia to adjust to the game-play in Asia.

23. Ultimate Vista-redded

Jul 19, 2007
    chons play like men? how could ********ing slaves and internet terroists play like me. ********ing slave get your fact straight stupid fact twisting cheaters. your whole disgusting dog team played like barbarians and kept grassrolling and delaying the game like bahrain.

24. vnlover

vnlover New Member

Jul 13, 2007

lol... I guess Hiddick is the most wanted coach in asia now :D

25. Ganahal

Ganahal New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    whoa whoa whoa bich

dont get so work up for lose to us . . . . again :D