Aussie Aussie Aussie...oy oy oy - November 2021

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by jackdoggy, Nov 4, 2021.

1. goaleemama

goaleemama Member

Nov 10, 2011
    One of the beautiful things about women's soccer is that it is different from men's soccer. As an American mom of late teens to early twenties kids, I can tell you that we still sing Wiggles songs in the car. It's important to level the field, but I also think it's fun that Australia knew the audience for this one. Signing off now for another cup of Rosy tea...

imasyko repped this.
  2. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Considering the two Matilda center backs had a grand total of 5 caps, that sounded like a proper strategy. Even after they subbed one out for the fast defensive winger (which I thought was a bad move as it really handicapped their attack) it still seemed like a good tacticle move.

3. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    #203 BrooklynSoccer, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    Two elite professional athletes dating each other is always a big deal.
    Why do you find it gross and creepy?

From another standpoint, having out and visible women athletes sharing their relationship should be a huge deal and it is important it gets proper recognition... especially when considering about a third of the world's countries have anti-lgbtq laws. FIFA is holding the next WC in a country where homosexuality is illegal, ya know.

BostonRed repped this.
  4. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "Tactical"
    Women don't usually have tecticles.

NCChiFan and soccermuse repped this.
  5. soccermuse

soccermuse Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Australia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly do agree with this sentiment of making it an accessible/attractive entertainment option to a broader market, but here (as I’m sure is the case with the Super Bowl, MLB, NBA championships etc) there is always commentary as to who is the entertainment and who is it marketed towards, and it was just starting to feel like women’s football was beginning to be marketed towards a sustainable adult market - our national leagues are now called Aleague men and Aleague women rather than Aleague and Wleague - As opposed to a fair weather children’s market (yes, I’m aware this is a generalisation. But let’s face it - adults are the ones spending the money) and we like to have continual arguments over who is the NRL and AFL and cricket pre- and halftime shows and realistically the Wiggles would not be considered for any of them.

jnielsen repped this.
  6. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last day.jpg
    fireworkds.jpg

That’s right my little soccer buddies, for all intents and purposes 2021 ends today.

I have thrown out and do not acknowledge the traditional Gregorian Calendar. It is worthless to me - - - my Year begins with the 1st USWNT Match and ends with the last USWNT Match. For we all know what comes next……the barren, soulless, lifeless period of human existence with no USWNT Matches, and with no Matches even officially scheduled in the future. In many respects, it is fortunate that the Human Race has survived these annual Earthly Purgatory Periods. However all is not lost, 2022 is coming, the AussieKiwiWWC is coming.

My only advice to you is …… Party like it’s 1991, or 1999, or 2015, or 2019!

165 minutes till our American Women create Heaven on Earth on the soccer pitch.

7. soccermuse

soccermuse Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Australia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree it is always going to be a big deal and I’m stoked that being gay/bi/queer is being more normalised every day but as a lesbian 30 year old it just feels like the flavour of the month and also, being a rather private person (I realise this is my preference/privilege to do so) I always find it unnerving when the media prefers to focus more on an individual’s relationship rather than their playing history or position or team. For example, haven’t seen any Aus media refer to Kristie Mewis playing for Houston or even in the NWSL. Now yes, I am more aware than some but to laser in on a gay relationship and nothing else about the women involved seems insincere to me.

(I know this is probably me being picky considering the history of reporting on queer women)

jnielsen repped this.
  8. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is your wake up call, USWNT BS! It's almost kick-off time.

10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides Smith and Macario mentioned above, Dahlkemper (muscle tightness) was not available for selection.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I assumed 4 was the kickoff time like the top of the hour was kick-off for the last game. They're still warming up on the field... :x3:

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    From the stadium's website...
    Tuesday, 30th November 2021
    Gates Open: 6:00pm
    Kick Off: 8:10pm

13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Of course espn put a countdown up just after I looked this up.

14. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping for 2,587 minutes of stoppage time in the 2nd Half.

jnielsen repped this.
  15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The match has begun.

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    3:15 or so before the first goal in this one...

Midge assist
    Hatch goal

Gacm32 and NCChiFan repped this.
  17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another early goal: 1-0. Hatch took a little longer this time. ;)

18. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    That didn't take too long.

19. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    whatever happened to Aussie’s regular CB’s, Kennedy & Polkihorrne?

20. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice cross by Sofia

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That was a really bad advantage given by the ref that created an opportunity for Australia and wasn't whistled back.

Gacm32 repped this.
  22. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Aussies showing some fight... good on them.

Gacm32 and jackdoggy repped this.
  23. soccermuse

soccermuse Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Australia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kennedy I believe has a quad injury and is having minutes managed, while Polks is having fitness/minutes managed.

24. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Thé Americans are all over the Lady Matildas. Lucky it’s still only 1-0.

25. soccermuse

soccermuse Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Australia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony, to his credit and to the public’s chagrin, is trying to blood new players especially in defence.