Aussie Aussie Aussie...oy oy oy - November 2021

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by jackdoggy, Nov 4, 2021.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Mewis Sanchez and Sauerbrunn for Sullivan Lavelle and Williams according to matchtracker

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Balcer was for Purce. I missed writing that earlier.

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    jnielsen, Gacm32 and jackdoggy repped this.
  4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the subs, we are now in a 5-4-1 to close out the match.

Sauerbrunn up on the corner...get her a goal! Well, I guess not this time.

5. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Casey Murphy !!!

But overall…..
    Oh boy this tastes good !

jackiesdad repped this.
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Final

USA 3 Australia 0

They'll do it again soon enough.

7. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Good game. The U.S. played better in the second half, especially because of Horan who was everywhere. Murphy was the player of the game. I don't think any of the newbies was spectacular except Murphy, but they weren't bad either.

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is probably one of the best attended, if not the best, away friendly match in USWNT history. I'm trying to confirm now.

kolabear and McSkillz repped this.
  9. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Casey Murphy = Hope Solo

My Bruin Ashley Sanchez finally makes it on the Natl team after all these years. A relative unknown, I hope you USWNT fans come to enjoy her speed and dribbling skills just like she did at UCLA when I came to see every home game of hers in person.

SiberianThunderT and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  10. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This particular squad is looking like they just need more gelling together and the world domination continues. Forget Morgan, Heath, Press, Rapinoe, etc. and just build up on this promising young bunch.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Avoided that awkward Kerr vs. Mewis situation (for the game & for FS1).

kolabear repped this.
  12. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christmas Cards were mailed last week but it appears that I'm making another trip to the Post Office.

13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #163 lil_one, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Ok, it might be the 2nd best for an away friendly match behind a reported (but somewhat suspicious round number) 40,000 at a January 2003 Four Nations (friendly tournament) match in Wuhan, China (yes, Wuhan). Next highest would be 34855 at a doubleheader friendly match in May 1998 in Tokyo, Japan. All that to say, Australian fans showed up for this match.

14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vlatko on Murphy who was named WOTM: "I feel comfortable saying even though this was her first cap, it'll be the first of many."

On halftime adjustments: "We addressed the fact that we were caught up on transitions... we dropped Lindsey [Horan] slightly lower." (addressing that midfield problem that we saw)

What a fun game to watch! The scoreline definitely could have been different and there were rough patches, but it was a really good win, especially since we were trying new things. I'm making a prediction now: There's room for improvement, but I think this match and the next one are matches we are going to be looking back at from the 2023 WWC and pointing out the things we learned and the players who became locks on the roster.

kolabear, Namdynamo and jnielsen repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Interesting: I wonder how many times did I stumble into Wuhan before 2020 without even taking note of the name beyond a "random Chinese big city" recognition. :coffee:

16. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match replay airing now on FS1

17. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    No more 140p !
    I’ve only just noticed Cook is a revelation !!!

18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the plan was to start Macario at forward, not in the midfield (getting Hatch her first start). The adjustment in the 2nd half of moving Horan back a little helped a lot. I'm a big Sullivan fan, but this was not her best game. Horan and Lavelle both improved in the 2nd half though.

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stats:

Aus/USA
    Shots
    : 11/14
    Shots on target: 8/6
    Saves: 3/8
    Corner Kicks: 7/2
    Fouls: 11/10
    Offside: 0/3
    Possession: 61%/39%

jnielsen repped this.
  20. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019

Replay of the match. Yep I can see why the U.S. had low possession. Too many mistakes in that by defenders and midfielders with losing possession and bad passes. Hopefully they remedy that soon.

21. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I think the Aussies are a formidable team, great counter and transition as well as long passes, their defenders not that good hence why it was 3-0.

jnielsen repped this.
  22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #172 hotjam2, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    and the amazing thing is[quoting John Paul Jones] We have not begun to fight! Meaning; missing from last nite were our actual best ‘young’ players Rodman. Pugh & an host of college players. Vlatko could of used the NWSL champs, Spirit players together(Hatch, Sanchez, Sullivan Sonnett & whenever Rodman joins) for way more chemistry ala Barca/Spain, but like any NT coach prefers to make his squad members into his own image

As long as we start to retire our over-the-hill gang, the US future looks bright. It’s hard to see who can beat us. WSL is doing things right by giving higher salaries & more balanced teams & you can see an new ‘golden age’ era of emerging English players, but as well the league has an serious, injury problem due to an say to over long season, now even more hampered but this year’s over extended Champions League schedule(and then how many freaking domestic cups does the WSL have?, lol)

Namdynamo and RevsRule repped this.
  23. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    We didn't even see a combination of Pugh, Sophia Smith and Rodman or whoever forwards we planning to put. This is a good problem actually.

24. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I felt that Murphy may well be the future of US goalkeeping. I did see some anticipation problems but those can be corrected with training.
    She commands her box in a way not dissimilar to Solo or Scurry.
    She needs work to help her distribution be better chosen, particularly her first pass to start counters or retain possession.
    As a shot stopper she seems fine but not yet as refined as she needs to be.
    Her leadership in the back ant her ability to keep her defense organized is an ongoing process but, unless she screws it up somehow, a few more performances like this one will have the defenders and defensive mids trusting her and that is the main part of defensive organization control.
    Australia was a good test for the US and for Mruphy in particular. The US lost the possession battle and that meant that the goalkeeper could not lose concentration.
    I did see some weaknesses but the ones I noticed are all able to be addressed with training.

Who gets the GK start in the next match? Although it might be unfair to the other keepers on the trip I would favor Murphy starting again to build on the solid foundation that has been built.

It did not show in this match much so does anyone know how her ball handling is? She did show calmness when pressed and did not try to over handle the ball when pressed, as we have seen from other 'keepers the US has used.

Lastly her passing accuracy was a little shaky at times in this match but if that was, as I expect, mainly nerves from a first international match then it will go away with time.

She won a well deserved WOM but that too will have to be repeated several times before she moves into the main starting position she appears poised to take.

Her catching of high balls is the best I have seen for the USWNT since Solo.

jackiesdad, jnielsen, McSkillz and 2 others repped this.
  25. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Actually putting Macario up top would have solved their midfield problem as well if they could have done that. She would be able to function as a false 9, dropping back when needed, giving them another midfielder. I do hope they do try that when she is able to play. Her movement like that creates big problems for centerbacks. She started out playing that position with Lyon the start season this season, but with the injury to Majri, she took over the ACM role.