August 12 version of USA vs. Gold Cup Mexico: Guess the Result

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by wcssstar33, Jul 26, 2009.

1. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets face it. Aguirre will callup the entire Gold Cup starting lineup because of their success, and many of the players may get some solid minutes. How will the August 12th version of the USA fair against a team that may have a similar makeup to the one that drubbed the US today?

2. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally different game. I see it being close, but with the US pulling away along the likes of 2-1. Knowing Landon, he's going to be pissed and come out "guns-a-blazin'" (my FSC quote of the day).

The Mexican fans act like they don't know what we're talking about when we say that today's squad was our B/C side, but they'll sure as hell find out August 12th. Compare our Confederations Cup squad with that of Mexico's strongest XI. It's going to be tough, especially playing in the Azteca, but the guys will definitely pull it off.

3. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    5-0 U.S. Adu scores one. Heaps scores four.

4. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    T&T only lost 2-1 and that was on a somewhat of a fluke shot. I think we have a chance to win, but we will need to play perfect defense like we did vs Spain and have to score on our one golden chance that we get.

5. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Heaps can't play. And even if he could he is suspended ...

6. nyquil

nyquil Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hopefully everyone on the team saw this match and wants to exact revenge.

Nothing I would love more (In soccer, outside of a Rangers Treble) than a win at Azteca and have that be the game that prevents Mexico from WC qualification.

We can start with the win for now.

7. omnione

omnione Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At best, a 3-1 victory. At worst, a 3-0 loss. I don't see our best squad scoring 4 or more goals on Mexico while shutting them out in Azteca. It seems as though 3 goals is the limit for the U.S. against decent competition lately. Conversely, I don't think this Mexico team can explode for 3 or more goals in a half either. It really depends on which U.S. team shows up....the team that rocked in the first half against Brazil or the one that imploded in Costa Rica.

I think the final will be 2-1 U.S.

On a side note, this is do-or-die time for Mexico. In the one month span that includes three qualifiers, they play the current top three teams in the Hexagonal. They need at least 4 points in the next three matches in order to breathe easy for an automatic spot. It's a three team fight for third place and I think the third place team will have between 11 and 13 points.

8. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only hope that this drubbing has infuriated the likes of Donovan, Dempsey, Onyewu, Bradley, Bocanegra, and Howard.

If the team comes out with the same confidence they had in South Africa and channels their hatred for Mexico, El Tri have no chance.

9. arfabe16

arfabe16 New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    what makes you think Mexico will be so similar?

The entire defense will be different with people like Marquez, Osorio, Rojas, and Salcido playing. Same for the midfield with Pardo, Guardado, and Arce back on the team. And the offense will add Blanco and Castillo, and will probably use Franco as a starter instead of as a sub.

The only thing in the Mexican team that might stay the same is Ochoa in goal. And that's not even a lock with how much Aguirre likes Oscar Perez.

At most, 3 of today's Mexico starters will start at Azteca.