Au revoir, Arsene. The Wenger Good-bye Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by maskito, May 6, 2018.

1. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have the thread on Wenger's replacement, but it seems appropriate to have a thread on what Wenger's exit mean to us as fans of the club.

Mods - feel free to merge if you feel that is better for the forum.

Watching Wenger at his last home match today, I realize the following:
    1. In spite of his (many) flaws and annoyances, he is indeed a legend and with little doubt our greatest manager.
    2. In spite of his many flaws and annoyances, he will still be missed.

Personally I'm convinced he truly cares about the club, and he will always be a fellow Gooner.

2. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Love the man. The saddest thing is that he should have left or announced something after one of his recent FA cups. The clock had been ticking and this season was so painful. The failed marriage analogy is pretty spot on. Such good times, will remember him fondly, but part of me wants the last few years back.

3. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only one who thinks having Good Riddance in the title is just unnecessary?

Dude is leaving regardless. Let's just celebrate his 22 years in charge and the countless honors he's brought us. Im gonna be honest. Anyone who is still cheering his departure with two games to go, rather than just looking to the future makes no sense to me.

Walia Ibex, danielh, NorthBank and 3 others repped this.
  4. fari

fari Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Denver,CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    he got a really nice send off today (both with the result, the t-shirts worn by fans and team) and with the tributes etc. happy for the old guy. Merci Arsene!

5. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL

Shen-O repped this.
  6. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm excited the club finally had the balls to move on.

I look forward to supporting Arsenal next season, and I look forward to seeing what becomes of Arsene Wenger next season. It will be interesting to see if he too benefits from a new beginning.

7. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread title is a disgrace. Muppet.

8. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thread title is not a disgrace. Some people are just a bit too sensitive these days. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Given how the last few years have gone and how the club may face a very long rebuilding period, it’s only natural some fans may harbor a good riddance feeling.

There are many things I will miss about Arsene just as there are many things I won’t miss. I’m happy he’s getting the send off he deserves and I’m excited (although somewhat nervous...nervously excited?) about what the future holds.

9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thread title is absolutely a disgrace. Change it.

Walia Ibex repped this.
  10. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Muppet....you know, just my opinion.

11. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 cantona94, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
    You’re entitled to it, just like you’re entitled to be a muppet yourself. That’s the beauty of life and liberty.

12. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll let the mods decide to change the title. Frankly, I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of it. I was only trying to capture the wide range of opinions about Wenger's departure - not trying to agitate or irritate. Judging by the responses on this thread so far, it looks like my intent was fairly accurate.

cantona94 repped this.
  14. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine is nervously excited for the future. How can one not be? Now, that could change depending on how I feel about whom the club eventually announce to succeed Wenger.

And I do plan on following Arsene post-Arsenal. Personally, I think he should go into national team management as it would fit him better these days...that, or some type of administrative position at a club somewhere outside of England.

15. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But this muppet got the 3 points :p

cantona94 repped this.
  16. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha, indeed.

Shen-O repped this.
  17. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

....and some of those t-shirts that the fans wore this afternoon are up on eBay so GET IN ON IT!!! THESE Gooners that were at the Emirates, are now scoring BIG-TIME on free Arsenal SGA (stadium giveaway) merch, so get a piece of history!!!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...e+Shirt.TRS0&_nkw=Merci+Arsene+Shirt&_sacat=0

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP ;)

maskito repped this.
  19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His farewell speech to the stadium faithful was his usual class. He doesn't waste words, not like some of his counterparts who are asked a simple question and go on a 3 minute monologue. OK, yes I have one particularly classless manager in mind for that comparison.

There are very very few managers, whether in football or beyond, who behave with such dignity, fairness, respect, thoughtfulness, intellect, integrity and humor... as Wenger does.

Regardless of how well the team might do under future manager(s), and we all hope we improve, Arsene Wenger the man will be widely missed.

Shen-O and maskito repped this.
  20. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing that really impressed was the one parting gift to Wenger...taking arguably the most significant trophy the team has ever won out of the cabinet, and giving it to Wenger, speaks on so many levels how important he is to this club. I've never seen that gesture by any professional sports team. Anyone have input on this type of gesture?

I do suspect that the club will expect the trophy to be returned once Wenger passes. Anyone know any details on what happens to the trophy in the future?

NorthBank repped this.
  21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought exactly the same thing. And I really can't think of a comparable gesture.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the current MD thread there was this not-so-little-gem that @mebeSajid found, and is worth your time!...

From here: https://arseblog.com/2018/05/no-european-trophy-no-happy-ending-but/

Some random reax from me...

* Indeed... thank you so much... a lifetime of memories!

* 2 others that came to mind that he left out: Lasagna. Wrighty lifting his shirt 1 goal too early.

* Then he mentions glorious side-foots by Eduardo & Ozil, but not Ramsey?? From just this year, hello???

* And what the hell are "Good win gays" and "Per's fine jar"? I must've been snoozing.

maskito repped this.
  23. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andre Santos tweeted ‘good win gays’ once, apparently misspelling ‘guys’.

Mertesacker was in charge of enforcing fines for late arrivals, etc. in the clubhouse.

NorthBank and maskito repped this.
  24. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Bye Arsene.

25. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Thanks for the memories, hope you find your happiness at the next stop whatever it may be I wish you well. Forever a Legend

danielh, maskito and Shen-O repped this.