Attention Indianapolis Soccer fans

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Bobethy, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you go there for just any MLS games or strictly Crew games??

had to endure black n' gold through out highschool.... painful colors to wear....

2. aeast317

aeast317 Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i like the way you think man. down with the boilermakers, down with the crew.

i'll be at that game on the 11th. finally getting my dad to go to toyota park to see why i love soccer so much. want to go tomorrow but i move back from college today so its too hectic. going on the 31st though.

3. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you know where you are planning on sitting on the 11th??

4. aeast317

aeast317 Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not sure, ideally section 8 but i'm not sure if my dad is going to be down for that haha

5. USL2inINDIANAPOLIS

USL2inINDIANAPOLIS New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Northwest Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey everyone, if you read a few posts back I posted Indy's Nations Cup.
    The game tonight has been postponed. Sorry for any inconvenience.

But the games next Thursday (May 14) are still on!
    Come on out for some great fun for a great cause!

6. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone happen to know yet what teams are playing?

7. xTottixCorex

xTottixCorex New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Indiana
    hey, does anyone here play Futsal at Ellenberger Park on thursdays???

i wanna go thursday but i don't have a ride home (i take the bus):(

8. jack_ketch

jack_ketch Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Indianapolis
    What time do they play?

9. xTottixCorex

xTottixCorex New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Indiana
    from 7pm to 9pm

cost $3

10. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah i have a 5 game package in 119....

irritates the piss out of me tho that the people in 119 want to sit.... next time im getting my seats in Section 8 or the top of 119 so that i can stand :mad:

went to the NE game and was forced down by the fact i was in a sea of sitters.... sad...

well on the 11th, we'll be in 119... hopefully at the top... but with my luck the people will stand... but being that close to section8 should make for the kids to have a great experience...

11. jack_ketch

jack_ketch Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Anybody up for watching the game at the Tap tonight?

12. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is random, but in the bid for an MLS team in 1994, what stadium was Indianapolis planning on using if they were to get a team? I know they were one of 22 cities to bid, but I don't know anything beyond that.

13. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember that MLS official checked out the Butler Bowl. Someone also said that they looked at the IUPUI track stadium.

14. jmb321

jmb321 Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I can confirm that it was the Butler Bowl in 1994.

15. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much could it hold back then? I know that they have taken out seats over the years and now it is just one-fourth bleachers and the rest a hill, but how big was it when they looked at it?

16. jmb321

jmb321 Member

Oct 9, 2008
    The negotiations then were between Butler and MLS so the total seating capacity they were discussing is not available.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Butler Bowl had a larger capacity then than it does now, but (a) they would have had to take some out and make some renovations because the field would have been quite narrow and ( b) there were no lights (I don't know if there are now, but I don't think so, right?).

Butler Bowl had been used by the Indianapolis Daredevils of the ASL back in the 70s, and, at the time of bidding prior to MLS' launch, I'm not sure everyone fully realized what would be necessary for a stadium that made sense for an MLS team.

Suffice it to say that, given Butler Bowl's location in a residential community, lack of parking and infrastructure, it wouldn't have been a real viable facility for an MLS team.

Plus, I do not believe there was an actual ownership group. IIRC, the folks at IYSA who eventually helped put on a good show for the 1997 US Open Cup final at IUPUI were involved in putting the bid docs together, but I don't believe there was one (or a handful of) "money man." At least, I don't know who it would have been.

18. jmb321

jmb321 Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Kenn, You are correct. I have a copy of the 1994 initiative and it was primarily put together by civic boosters, soccer supporters and politicians. Good intentions but it was not clear where the money was going to come from except a list of several hundred season ticket holders! MLS (and USL for that matter) have come a long way since then.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than that...the plan was flawless. :)

20. jmb321

jmb321 Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Now you know why a lot of thought, time and effort was put into the current USL plan

21. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are no lights at the Butler Bowl now. There is very little room around the bowl with apartments overlooking it and Hinkle right next to it. Also the whole bowl feature would make construction so hard. Too bad Lucas Oil Stadium wasn't around back then. That would have at least given the city a chance if the non-existant ownership wanted to pay the ridiculous stadium fee.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The dome was around, six of one, half-dozen of the other. A too-large NFL stadium with turf.

There was simply not a viable stadium solution in Indianapolis at the time. Not for MLS.

IUPUI doesn't have the infrastructure (and parking...well, there is none).
    Butler Bowl we talked about.
    Kuntz is/was too small.
    At the time, Bush Stadium was still in use (the Indians vacated mid-1996). The Bush Stadium site actually might not be a bad place. If you had a jillion dollars lying about and you could buy the Bush site and the Kuntz site and build the stadium on the Bush site and use the Kuntz site for parking and put a bridge over 16th Street, that might not be a bad deal. But access would make 16th Street a mess.

23. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, if I found a billion dollars lying in the street and decided that Indy could support an MLS team I would try to get it built at the old Central State Nuthouse. 133 acres of land close to downtown and the Brickyard. It is in the center of a Hispanic neighborhood and right now it is being used for soccer and rugby. It is a good location and has a lot of space. I know Lucas Oil Stadium's field is big enough for soccer, so that would be an option, although after a while it would be better to build an SSS in the long run because of the 80K fee to use it for a day.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They might cut you a deal, given Lucas Oil Stadium's precarious financial situation. :)

Oh, yeah, I think I know the site you're talking about. Isn't that on Washington on the west side?

Access and infrastructure is something you always have to think about, though. Wouldn't Washington be the only way in or out (basically)?

What are they doing with the land the original airport is on now that they're using the new airport? That's got better access. (Not that it matters, of course, I'm just asking.)

25. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it's on Washington. I know there is another way in or out besides coming from downtown but I can't remember how since I usually would just go to IUPUI and take Washington from there. I don't know what they are doing with the old airport right now.