Attention American fans going to Germany

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by gyr0, Jan 5, 2006.

1. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    I have travelled in Europe pretty much every other summer for the last 7 years. I must say the anti-american sentiment was far more noticeable last summer than at any time previous. Not sure it will be as bad this summer as it really is about sport and partying.

Also, in conversation I just love how Europeans distance themselves from their governments' actions while disallowing us the same luxury. Be ready for it.

2. Aalborg

Aalborg New Member

May 2, 2002
    And you know this first hand how? Because you were there when his advisors advised him? You were in the Whitehouse when he got the invite from Vincente, President Bush told you specifically on your cell phone? Stop guessing when you know absolutely nothing.. otherwise you are the complete jackazz ..buddy

www.incwell.com/Biographies/Presidents/Bush,George.html

In prep school, Bush was active in sports and clubs. He was president of the senior class, captain of the baseball and soccer teams, manager of the basketball team, and was voted third best athlete, third most popular, and third most handsome.

Just a little FYI

3. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    Dubya was a male cheerleader at Yale! I noticed you're not posting his bio.

4. GOOOOAL!!

GOOOOAL!! New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    If only he could have been voted "Third Best Presidential Candidate" we wouldn't have to worry so much about the anti-american sentiment ;)

There was some anti-american sentiment in Korea, especially in Daegu because of the large military base there. Every once in a while, a young soldier would do something stupid and the base would get in trouble. We were actually followed in some stores by employees thinking we were going to steal something. Hopefully in K-town with its huge military base, this won't be a problem. It shouldn't because the cultures aren't quite as different, at least I hope.

5. Stinkey Turner

Dec 15, 2000
    I'm not worried, treat people with respect, and you should be treated likewise. It works wonders. My friend from Germany did say, If he had to pick any one group that he mgiht even worry the slightest about geting into trouble with , it would be the Turkish immigrant population in Germany who might just be looking for a reason to stir up some aggro.

6. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    nothing a side foot to the knee can't fix

7. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fox probably would've moved the TV a couple inches north and claimed it on the border.

8. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    That brings up another question.... Will there be any American hooliganism at the World Cup? What if we're attacked by a bunch of fascist Lazio supporters? (I'm sure some of them will be at the Italy-US game).

9. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm sure 90% of BSers will argue against me, but I think it'd be hilariously GREAT to surprise everyone with American hooliganism. I dont like the idea of beating people up, but setting fire to things, turning over cars, all in the name of USMNT victory...

I think it would stun the world and thus be absolutely fantastic.

They'd finally realize that we give a ********** :D

10. Medeiros

Medeiros Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Pawtucket, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea well save that for when we beat Brazil in the round of 16, the national team and the supporters could make a nice impact on the world of soccer. As for italian hooliganism, im leavin for milan monday and ill be there thru the world cup (if i get tickets) Cant wait

11. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll be heading to Bologna in May and then up to Germany. Maybe I'll see ya on the way :cool:

12. Medeiros

Medeiros Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Pawtucket, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice, ill be studying abroad in Milan. FYI, if ur looking for ways to germany from italy there are really cheap flights available thru those european ariline websites such as easyjet etc..

13. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup - already booked Easyjet to get to Scotland for next month's Old Firm. My friend will be in Bologna, so when my Madrid program is over, time to crash! :D

14. Aalborg

Aalborg New Member

May 2, 2002
    What I really noticed is that your piss poor knowledge about GB Sr's soccer background down.. is completely exposed..what about that? :eek:

I knew you would pick up on something completely irrelevant thats why I left the tag line voted 3rd most handsome, I felt sure you would bite on that one, but alas you read the story and picked up on something that what? Not sure what your innuendo is about his cheerleading? :rolleyes: questioning his sexuality ..masculinity.. a decorated War Veteran and married for longer than you have been alive? Dude you aint worthy of washing his drawers never mind questioning anything about this true American patriot

Also it is BS protocal to not post complete articles, but fine to place a link for anyone to read.. not suprised you didn't know that either

15. Stinkey Turner

Dec 15, 2000

Well if a group of American fans were cornered by a bunch of hooligans ready to crack some heads, I would suspect some, including myself, would not go down w/o atleast putting up a fight! But as far as instigating trouble, highly doubtful.

16. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jus to calrify,as i don't have a dog in this fight. But first, GB is not a SR. they have different middle names. 2nd, W is not a decorated war veteran, that is Sr. 3rd, geroge herbert walker Bush was an accomplished athlete, but W was not.

17. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    Dude... I've been talking about the current president (the cokehead evangelical guy) this entire time! My favorite thing about the older Bush is that he a jumped out of a plane using a hemp parachute during WWII..... How cool is that! Talk about a great argument for weed legalization.

18. Aalborg

Aalborg New Member

May 2, 2002

19. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I hope you guys can get all your venting done in this thread, so that in Germany we can focus on the soccer rather than the politics! Most people realize that politics is a subject cautiously approached everywhere.
    I don't expect the US fans to start any trouble, as that's neither our rep nor our inclination. Don't look for trouble & you won't find it. Most national team fans from around the world plan to have a good time at the WC, not fight, get arrested & deported! If some English or German yobbos act up, well, we're not scheduled to play either team, so it should be elsewhere. There will always be a couple of problems, ususally limited to petty thefts (unless it's your tickets!). Stay with your friends, don't look for trouble, keep the business card of your hotel in your pocket, enjoy!

20. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you should start with an article about what fans have to go through to get tickets. ;) :D :eek:

21. JMal

JMal Member

Mar 6, 2000
    Did you have a few to many Danish schnapps there Aalborg?:eek:

22. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Isn't there a politics forum on BigSoccer?

23. Aalborg

Aalborg New Member

May 2, 2002
    Nah..Actually 4 or 5 Harp's :eek: But I just blow up when I'm on a soccer specific site named "Attention American fans going to Germany" and low and behold President Bush gets tossed in the conversation with a dose of Liberal BS and attempts at "funny" rhetoric ...dunno as a DS 1 veteran it just pisses me off

Anywho bottom line is that I would still by that yahoo a beer at a Nats game no problem...so long as politics isn't brought up otherwise you got a 6'5' Irish problem:D

24. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually they didnt qualify.

...cough....

25. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    My wife and I were actually in Europe on 9/11. The only challenges we faced were trying to get phone calls through to make sure everyone we knew was safe.

Why would you even expect Europeans to treat American soccer fans differently than fans from any other country?