Attending FC Barcelona with young children

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by K.P., Feb 17, 2019.

1. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be visiting Barcelona with my wife and two young children in early April. I would love to see the FC Barcelona-Espanyol game while there, ideally with our children (ages 5 and 7), but could use some guidance. Any and all advice would be appreciated, but general questions include:

1. Approximately what time would one expect kickoff to be? Or what is the range of possible times?

2. When are kickoff times formally announced?

3. What is the best place to sit with young children? Or best general area to sit (taking into account some reasonableness re: price!)

4. If there is a general thread on attending a game at Camp Nou that someone could point me to, that would be appreciated to.

I do have some extended family in Barcelona so if the game time is late evening, there is a slight chance my wife and I could go without the kids. But my ideal scenario would be to take everyone, even if it’s a later activity than we might normally try to tackle with them.

Thank you.

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    At 13h00, 16h15, 18h30 or 20h45 on Saturdays. Same times on Sunday, except first timeslot is 12h00 instead of 13h.

The Espanyol match will probably be on a Saturday, but won't be announced for probably another week or so.

Doesn't matter so much where you sit with kids. All areas except maybe the lower section behind the goals are pretty tame.

3. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
  5. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just checked the club website and it still says the date and time are TBD. I will admit that it never occurred to me that they might shift the *date* of the game, nor that with only five weeks to go everything would be uncertain. I will definitely be disappointed if we're not able to catch a match while there, but I'm holding out hope that it will work out. Saturday afternoon or anytime Sunday should work. The first or last times on Saturday might be dicey given our arrival time and young kids.

I'm going to be checking the website daily now!

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Did you see that the kick off is now confirmed? Sat @ 16h15.

ShortyMac repped this.
  7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I also like how the schedulers squeezed 3 La Liga games for Real Madrid within 7 days so that they would have some time to prepare for the Champions League quarterfinal first leg.... oops!

unclesox, Gilmango and ShortyMac repped this.
  8. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like you will be there on March 31, but not March 30th? If you are staying through April 6th you have another chance: Derby against Espanyol is Saturday, 4.15pm CET, Villarreal v Barça on Tuesday 2 April at 9.00pm CET and Barça v Atlético Madrid on Saturday 6 April at 8.45pm CET.

And, if we advance past Lyon, and you are there longer: 9/10 April: Quarter-finals, first leg & 16/17 April: Quarter-finals, second leg

9. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I went last May to see Barça-Real Sociedad (last game of the season) with my partner and 2-year-old.

BocaFan is right that the majority of the sections are tame.

One thing to know is that the club has a very ungenerous policy toward children. Here's the email I got from them when I asked last spring:

"Gracias por contactar con nosotros.

Le informamos que todas las personas incluidos niños y bebes necesitan una entrada para acceder a un partido en el Camp Nou.

Le informamos que la entrada tiene el mismo precio si la usa un niño o un adulto.

El club dispone de 3000 entradas por cada partido, destinadas a niños que sean socios o hijos o nietos de socios."

In other words, all children, even babies, must pay for a full-price seat. :mad:

The only exception is children and grandchildren of socios, for whom they have 3000 tickets every match, for which you have to apply within 6 days before the match.

I suggest you make friends with a socio!

10. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This wasn't the case a few years ago. It is something that was changed under this administration a couple of years back...

11. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I suppose this is the appropriate thread.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I was wondering why the tickets at Old Trafford hasn’t gone on sale yet.
    Stupid move from Barca. They are thinking that the English will pay whatever it takes, which is true. But obviously the move was going to be reciprocated so they are just screwing their own socios. Overpricing something by €40 hurts people in Spain more, even with the weak £.

I don’t know if that many people will even travel to Manchester for that price, so the team might also lose a bit of fan support.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, tickets went on sale today. €118 for the match in OT. So Man Utd reciprocated and no subsidy from FCB.

14. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #14 Gilmango, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Too bad for socios, England is already pretty darn expensive, but it occurs to me that there are Barca fans in England and all over the world for whom seeing Barca (with still peak Messi) play at OT would be a lifetime "bucket list" sort of thing. So they may not be socios or Spanish/Catalan working class or middle class fans, but Barca will definitely have fans in attendance cheering.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    True, for away matches we see more and more Barca fans inter-mingled with the home supporters. For the recent Liga clasico there seemed to be more than ever! Quite a few in Betis the other day too I noticed.

But if you want to sit in the away-supporters section you have to be a socio (or at least a member of a strongly-recognized Penya, although Penya tickets are tougher to get). I can't even get my wife in. You have to be a socio yourself.

For the match in OT, I also think some socios have in the back of their mind that a match in Anfield might be on the horizon and they would prefer to splurge for that match - same part of Europe but better stadium, atmosphere and higher importance (hey, I just found another disadvantage of having the QF and SF draws done at the same time!).

Gilmango repped this.