Attendence

Discussion in 'France' started by SportBoy321, Aug 11, 2002.

1. SportBoy321

SportBoy321 New Member

Jul 6, 2002
    New England
    does anyone know where I can get individual game attendences for French League games for this season

2. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Here's a few

But to get all the individual attendances you'll probably need to look at each match report.

*What happened you don't support Nantes anymore?

3. SportBoy321

SportBoy321 New Member

Jul 6, 2002
    New England
    I still do. Where do I get these match reports ?

4. conquerant

conquerant New Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marseille only had 5000 people show up for their opener??? I know they've been having problems, but I can't believe the turnout was that low! Not that I'm disappointed or anything...

5. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Phoceen are banned from vel until after the second home game because of crowd trouble when pdsg came. It'll bounce back once they come home.

6. Shah

Shah New Member

That game was not in Marseille. They were banned from the Stade Velodrome for one game for crowd trouble. 5,000 at Marseille?? Who do you think they are?? Monaco?? Seriously though, I forgot where they played it.. I thought Toulouse, but I think that is wrong. I will check on that.

7. Shah

Shah New Member

Two attendances strike out in the first two weeks

1) Monaco SOLD OUT a game, the OM fixture was a full house of 18,500 at the Stade Louis II. No doubt they had the 6,000 or so Monaco diehards and the rest were Marseille fans from the surrounding area... but still.

2) AC Ajaccio drew just 1,000 fans for their home opener. That is pathetic. We can talk about the Corsican economy or small population or whatever... but there is no excuse for that. They averaged 2,700 or so last season and are building a new stadium so they can stay in the top flight. Bastia average around 5-6,000. I have serious doubts as to whether Corsica can support two top flight clubs. And I wa really looking forward to the Corsican derby..maybe that will generate interest.

8. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this doesn't really apply to this thread, but the French attendence figures make MLS look good. Then again they probably look good financially compared to the teams mentioned as well.

9. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I know one of the two OM games was at Lyon.

10. Shah

Shah New Member

How is that??

You must not know too much about French football.

Marseille average 48,000
    PSG average 41,000
    Lyon- 36,000
    Lens- 34,000
    Nantes- 32,000
    Bordeaux- 28,000

Rennes, Strasbourg and Lille pull in about 18,000 when in the top flight on average as does Metz but they were relegated last season.

Saint Etienne draw 18,000 or so in the second division.

Sochaux and Sedan are about 16,000

Troyes, Montpellier, Guingamp, and Auxerre will pull in 12-14,000 Troyes on the higher end and Auxerre on the lower end. Auxerre despite a good team do not have a large fanbase.
    _
    Nice and Le Havre will both be about 10,000. Nice is a dissapointment because it is a large city, but not a football city.

The real embarrasments are Monaco, Bastia and Ajaccio. Corsica's small population is attributed to the average of 5-6,000 at their two clubs games.

Monaco just has few fans in the tiny principality and even fewer away from it, at they average about 5,000.

So we have 5 clubs that can't draw.. MLS has no teams anywhere close to our big 6 (big 7 when Saint Etienne are in the top flight) attendance clubs.

Strasbourg and Toulouse also can get up to 25,000 on average when their teams are doing better. Rennes and Lille have already filled their stadiums near capacity.

Sochaux and Sedan have room for growth as does Montpellier. Auxerre, Troyes and Guingamp are not big clubs and don't try to be.

Your statement is completely innaccurate and will be until the MLS exceeds an average attendance of 23,000-25,000 as we have had in recent years.

11. SportBoy321

SportBoy321 New Member

Jul 6, 2002
    New England
    Hey Shah what's the latest on Lille's stadium situation. Are they getting a new or expanded one soon ? How big do you think they can or should go