Attendence: Week 21

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jmeissen0, Aug 9, 2002.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kasai, a word to the wise...people around here get very touchy when you write "the MLS" instead of "MLS."

FWIW, I'm on your side wrt a strike. Now, I'm not saying a striker will see MLS attendance shoot through the roof. But I do think that a strike will bring several hundred temporary fans and a couple hundred permanent fans.

Which is a good thing.

But the effects of a strike get oversold aLOT around here.

2. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Hey buddy, you need to review your English. "Could" can be used in more than one sense. If you don't have anything better than that to say, then I am assuming your main contribution here is as an English teacher.

I think Bigsoccer.com should contract you. LOL.

3. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy Pal. You've been around here about one month.

Kenn is one of the reasons why bigsoccer is what it is.

4. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Re: Re: Attendence: Week 21

I know I am a newbie and Kenn is a regular, but if he writes agressively towards me, I will respond back. Anyway, what I wrote was a joke. I don't think is a very big insult, do you?

Man some people here don't have much of a sense of humor, do they?

5. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will probably get me flamed, but I find that regular BS posters who post to certain boards on a regular basis consider it their property and no one else's. When a newbie posts "opinion", they get jumped. Dare post an opinion without the proper notations, links and power point presentation, and your post is dismissed as newbie opinions without facts.

I've been reading a lot of attendence threads (and posted in a few). It's real easy to crunch, twist and mutilate facts and numbers to fit one's opinion. And that is all these boards are: mostly informed and uninformed soccer opinions. Should a newbie post, why dismiss them. Why not engage them in conversation? They obviously love soccer enough to post; why run them off?

If you pee on enough trees, the forest is yours. Only, the forest will just a few people and a lot of trees who don't listen.

6. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Amen!

7. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California

I agree 100%. I am just trying to contribute my opinion to this board. It nice to see different people's opinions on the same subject. I don't care if people don't agree with me, as long as it is done is a polite fashion. I would rather agree to disagree than fight.

8. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC

Yeah-- that's what I inartfully tried to say.

Kasai's interested in attendance and hasn't yet heard the bad news: there is no world cup bounce. It gets tedious to say the same thing over and over, I know, but the bounce theory is an easy enough thing to believe.

The other side of it is that a newbie actually has to listen or else, yeah, then you'll get flamed left and right and you'll deserve it.

And on that note, Kasai, listen to what Kenn says: he's got more evidence on attendance than anyone. No, he's not the only one with a valid opinion on attendance, but he's got more facts and figures on it than anyone (with the doubtful exception of MLS HQ, who could probably learn-- and probably have learned-- a few things from his website).

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Attendence: Week 21

It used to be an accepted fact of life that newbies to discussion groups of all sorts were expected to lurk for a month or two before posting, or at the very least read the archives that far back before posting.

Common courtesy was never the internet's strong point...but please.

10. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    of course, part of the problem now is that we've lost our archives...

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I apologize for being a jerk. Kasai, welcome aboard, please join in our little reindeer games every week.

In other news, I just went over to get a pair of tickets for tonight, and all that's left are obstructed view, a few singles, and some general admission. If the weather holds off (it rained all day yesterday, hard, and it's cloudy and threatening right now), it should be a capacity crowd, perhaps the largest of the season.

If it rains, that'll likely keep a lot of the freebies away (and some of the others as well).

12. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Cool Kenn..... We both love soccer and that is why we are here.

13. jotadia

jotadia New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Miami
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kenn:
    After reading the attendance figures on your site, it seems the team logically suited to move based on attendance is KC. Why does everybody talk of move San Jose?

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stadium deals.

15. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001

And history.

(not counting this year) KC has increased its attendance every year since 1998, whereas SJ has suffered year-to-year drops of 17% and 23% in each of the past two years.

16. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sick and tired of the Metrostar Fans complaining about attendance, when they can't fill their own stadium.

They should not throw bricks when they live in a Glass Home.

17. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Attendence: Week 21

Some of that drop is actually counting tickets truthfully. But there has been a turnaround during the second half of this season. Heck, SJ outdrew LA last night!

18. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Attendence: Week 21

True, but looking at the numbers, I'm not sure that is too much to crow about when Naperville drew almost 16k and Columbus almost 18k last Wednesday.

19. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Attendence: Week 21

I named a simple fact, didn't crow. Just another lazy attempt by a BS poster to nick SJ attendence. The simple fact is that SJ' #s tanked when the team had no front office. The numbers are slowly improving...to the point that on a Wednesday night in beautiful Cali, the Quakes outdrew (barely) LA. The Quakes attendence over the 2nd half of the season is a sign that things are turning around. But I'm glad the Slavic/Brat promos brought out the fans. Hopefully SJ will do similar promos to boost attendence #s.

20. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Attendence: Week 21

If it ended with a period I would agree. It was the exclamation point that changed it into a "crow."
    Until you start putting bodies in the seats, you are fair game/an easy target.

21. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Attendence: Week 21

I'll make sure I put in a smiley next time for you so you will see that I was being facetious.

And as far as butts in seats, you need to see that the Quakes have seen an upward curve in attendence as a slow start while some teams in MLS have had a drop-off. Don't expect miracles overnight. 9K for a midweek match this year is an improvement not only over last year but even earlier this season. There has been an improvement. The constant nicks are getting redundant...but thats the charm of BigSoccer, right!

22. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    What was this thread about?