Attendence: Week 21

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jmeissen0, Aug 9, 2002.

1. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do any of the numbers reflect that the Chicago Fire are playing in a smaller venue this year?

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to leave the standard deviations to you.... ;)

Yes.

3. DAKCrew

DAKCrew New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Columbus, OH

Just a quick question..... Do you wear a pocket protecter?

4. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    August has always been a weak month.

Contraction wasn't all just about attendance either, son.

Right.

"hey, I'm frustrated at baseball for thinking about going on strike. I think I'll just go out and see a soccer game even though I'm not a soccer fan. that'll show them."

let me know when you hear a conversation like that one.

5. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT
    The only way to do this would be to drop the attendance figures for Chicago (which is averaging 11,788 per game, better than KC and SJ).

If you drop Chicago, the average is 16,007, better than the 15,610.
    If you assume they would have had the same average as last year the average is 16,043.

6. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT
    just a watch. It's not even digital. ;)

7. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are some relevant Chicago numbers:

2001 avg. attendance (Soldier Field): 16,388
    2002 avg. attendance (Naperville): 11,788

# games < league median (2001): 4 of 14
    # games < league median (2002): 7 of 10

# games < 10,000 (2001): 2
    # games < 10,000 (2002): 2

8. Warren Van Orden

Feb 29, 2000
    Richmond CA
    Why did you think this? Were the Floridians going to start flying out to DC or Columbus or something?

9. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT
    Re: Re: Attendence: Week 21

What the writer meant was that the Average attendance was supposed to increase.

Averages are higher if you drop low figures. Dropping Miami and TB drops lots of low attendance figures, thus artificially enhancing the average.

10. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    It wasn't all about attendance, but it played a major role in the MLS' decision. I know that August is still young, but attendance in this post WC year should be increasing not staying in line with previous years. You have to take your head out of your a$$ and start thinking, son.

Look wise guy if you don't think that a baseball strike would help the MLS then you are kidding yourself. With nothing else to talk about, at least Wednesday games will get a little play on Sportscenter and Saturday games will also get some play. With no baseball playoffs or World Series, the MLS playoffs could also benefit. Stop drinking and start thinking, son.

11. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Very well said. This was what the MLS was looking for. They may still get it in August, but it did not get off to a good start.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless....and stay with me here....there's some sort of disconnect between the US Men's National Team and MLS in the perceptions of people in this country. Or that the WC "bounce" effect that seemingly everyone has been touting for the last year was simply wishful thinking.

Yeah, right.

Go to the other forum, would ya? This canard has had so many holes shot in it that just bringing it up in the weekly attendance threads brands you pretty unfavorably.

Just watch and see what happens if there is a strike and then come back and tell us how brilliant you were.

13. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Attendance probably played a role, but not a major role, in contraction decisions. Otherwise, San Jose would have been contracted.

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth, son?

Prove it. Prove that there is huge untapped resource for MLS that is just waiting for their favorite sport, baseball, to have a strike so they can suddenly start pouring money into soccer, their second favorite sport.

Sportscenter will have plenty to talk about. And even if MLS gets five minutes twice a week on Sportscenter, that's not gonna pay the bills.

Again, prove it

Did you come up with that all by yourself?

14. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

word of advice

when you are in your mid twenties, not married and without kids... it is often helpful not to call people son... even if it is an attempt at humor... mainly because it's not very bright, humorous or intelligent

it will mostly get yourself made fun of for trying to be something you aren't...

if you happen to be fairly old or even middle aged, it can warrant a use... seeing as neither is the case... you might want to drop it...

15. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    i dunno-- I thought it was funny when kebzach did it...

Guys, I really appreciate the fact that we have a number of posters on attendance that actually understand what's going on. Some of us have been doing this for years and know, even before we're reminded, that August is a slow month and that July is a good month almost solely because of the 4th.
    But it's not intuitive, you know. It makes sense logically, until you actually sit down for a while, to think attendance should go up in the summer when the kids get out from school, or that there should be a world cup bounce, or that the loss of baseball would help.
    Now, of course, all of us know that none of those things are true because we've spent some time with this. But other posters don't and they're not stupid for disagreeing unless you explain why. Now, as much as like to insult my fellow BS posters, the attendance debate is really one of the few areas where stupid opinions can be changed by facts.

16. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

you are correct, but the problem is that the whole thing is repetitive... as there are always going to be new posters that don't know the score

17. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT
    Problems come with peoples' response to their own ignorance. Some respond with humility and the knowledge that they don't know everything. Others act as if their the first to ever think of an idea and become angry or fearful when they're challenged. Unfortunately, a few of the second folks create a large proportion of the activity on BS.

18. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    quite a few people (myself included) will respond with a joke that is a bit harsh to the person who just didn't know... and that is 100% typical BS behavior

i can't say it's wrong, just the way it goes

doesn't really seem to hurt things, as BS keeps growing and growing

19. mikelley037

mikelley037 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
  20. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Doesn't hurt BS, but it can change a thread. Don't take it wrong- I hardly think that BS needs to be less harsh-- and if someone is like jri (or worse, thepremierleague) and just can't bow to facts, you can't do much more than insult their intelligence cus you can't kick their SS.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just worry that he kisses his mother with that tongue.

22. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Re: Re: Re: Attendence: Week 21

Ewwwww, where's my bleach?

23. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    You guys are funny. You think you are the only ones that know anything about the MLS and attendance. I am just expressing my opinion. When I say "With no baseball playoffs or World Series, the MLS playoffs could also benefit," it is just my opinion. Also if you read more carefully before answering ignorantly, you will see that I used the word "COULD," not would. So go on an bash me, but these are my opinions.

When I talk about the bounce effect from WC2002, I speak from the heart. Pre-World Cup, I paid little attention to the MLS and other than participation in MFLS, I did not follow the MLS closely. Since June though, I have watched more games and read more articles regarding the MLS. I figure I am not alone in this thinking. I am a big soccer fan, but the MLS has not always satisfied my thirst for soccer, but now I am quite content with the MLS and hope for a brighter future to come.

One last thing, the MLS could not contract San Jose because one it was the league champion and two, the market is still strong for soccer. In Miami and Tampa, it is proving that all sports are a tough sell there except for NFL and college football.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our facts trump your opinions. Sorry.

Now, when you say "could not" does that carry the same weight as your "could" statements, meaning they're just your opinion? Because MLS sure could have contracted San Jose had it wanted to. It didn't want to, apparently.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

First I use the word surfeit, now this.