Attendance's impact of Chivas MLS.

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Juan Luis Guerra, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    I just read Garber's article at www.soccertimes.com and it appears that USA Chivas is a reality in San Diego. It looks like more international Mexican-born players will be allowed by this team. Now, in terms of attendance impact for the league, I need to say the following:

1- Attendance will increase with USA Chivas playing in MLS. Many mexican fans will go to see Chivas playing to all stadiums.

2- Expect many "sold out games" in Los Angeles, Columbus, Dallas, New York ( new stadium ) and in Clevland's new SSS eventually. Expect good attendance in Colorado, DC, New England, Kansas City, Chicago and elsewhere.

4- The new team needs to be a competitive team.

5- All Mexicans who dislike MLS will finally stop complaning like our dear friends Various Styles, RDL, Sidspaceman, El Charro negro, Levante and others.

2. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The competitiveness of the team is of primary importance. Chivas SD is an attempt to convert footie fans into MLS footie fans. They won't come if the product sucks.

And a second factor (not really mentioned that much) is to increase MFL's visibility amongst non-Mexicans.

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Added side effect will be that the Metrostars will no longer be the most hated team in the league anymore.... except DC of course :)

4. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    definitely, fans are smart these days... They're so many options for entertainment and football than b4. I think Chivas will be like Luis Hernanedez, a one day thing. Hope not.

5. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Re: Re: Attendance's impact of Chivas MLS.

Think you may be right. BUT, they will draw crowds and make money. you will probabaly see more Anti MFL and anti Mexican fans there

6. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    5- All Mexicans who dislike MLS will finally stop complaning like our dear friends Various Styles, RDL, Sidspaceman, El Charro negro, Levante and others.

Very rare i look over here and see what you guys are saying about the Chivas Jrs team or what is going on in the MLS.

And first off, I dont dislike the MLS for the sake of disliking it. Im happy America fans have thier own league. I wish Canadians had thier own as well. It must suck not having your own to root for. More than anything, I dont like the style of play. I grew up watching a different styles of soccer and format. Those my personal preferences. I also dont like the format.

But if you think that this team will win me over.. you are sorely mistaken. Die hard Chivas fans will not settle for anything less

My allegiance and my club America jersey are not up for auction. Not for a Club America Jrs jersey and especially not for a Chivas Jrs Jersey

7. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What they are doing has never been done before. It would be interesting to see how things turn out. If things don't work out well, Chivas will be folded very quickly like they did to Miami and Tampa.

8. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    So RDL, if Vergara the Chivas USA owner brings in a team with another name that maybe could represent MEXICO and not just Chivas could be a better idea?. Maybe the team should be name The Aztecs or the Charro Boys or else. I'm just thinking.

9. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    What a day that will be...

10. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    Chivas USA will draw big crowds for every mls team so it's a good thing.

11. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We really won't be able to make an assessment until way into their first season as to what their success might be.
    Huge crowds at the start mean nothing. Remember the first year of MLS? The first Galaxy match?

12. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    This is not new. Major league Baseball and NBA are seriously talking about having a NBA team in Puerto Rico and Mexico and a baseball team in Puerto Rico, Mexico and Dominican Republic. So, MLS Chivas is a great idea.

13. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    So RDL, if Vergara the Chivas USA owner brings in a team with another name that maybe could represent MEXICO and not just Chivas could be a better idea?.

They wont trade in thier jersey for a Jrs. jersey. Why watch junior when senior is readily available on TV? Most Mexican fans wouldnt care if Jorge Vergara, Jean Azcarraga, or any other owner for that matter brought in a team. We Mexicans fans can virtually watch every game from league play, national team play, and other cups.

The Chivas USA project is not getting a lot of press in Mexico. Every now and then they will mention it.

Maybe the team should be name The Aztecs or the Charro Boys or else. I'm just thinking.

The name doesnt matter. I, like many others, will not trade in my jersey for that of another. Thats is pathetic if people are willing to give up thier jersey.

There are only 2 jerseys i would ever wear, the Mexican National jersey and Club AMerica's jersey. I wouldnt dare of putting on another.

And them putting a name like charros and aztecs would be an insult. We are all not indians, nor ride in on donkeys. And i sure as h3ll dont wear a huge hate.

And if any do trade in that thier jersey, its because they were never true fans. just fair weathered fans

14. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    RDL, I did not mean to insult your country, I was just thinking that the word Charros was a popular since most Mexicans restaurants and Taquerias have a charro hat or sombrero as an ornament or symbol of the Mexican culture. Aztecs, well, they lived in Mexico before the Spaniords came and in my vocabulary Aztec=warrior or valiente. No intention to offend you.

15. milkduds

milkduds Member

May 20, 2003
    Saint Paul, MN
    Different Standards

I don't know what the long-term impact might be on MLS, but a few things concern me:

- It will be unfair if the team is allowed to select from a different player pool than other MLS clubs (ie. more Mexican players on the club than standard international allocation)

- Something else to fuel animosity between Americans and Mexicans (or Mexican-Americans). I love the international rivalry we have with our neighbors to the south - especially since we have been getting the better of them lately. But, I'm not sure that would be a good thing within MLS. I want Mexican-American soccer fans cheering with me at Crew games, not for the visiting Chivas!

- Would it violate some kind of labor law if the team tried to field only Mexicans, or Mexican Americans for that matter?

I would like to see the team play under the same restrictions as other MLS teams. If they want to use the precious few international spots on their roster exclusively on Mexican internationals, that's fine. But the limit should be the same as other clubs.

16. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001

17. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    No.

Over on the MetroStars boards, I've been saying that if a new New York franchise is eventually created, because of the tradition and spirit of the Cosmos, it should be a club made up entirely of international players. No Americans. Reflecting New York's status as America's international city.

Of course, the idiots think my idea is crazy. But think how distinctive MLS would be if it fielded "Mexican" clubs, an "International" club, and the "American" squads. Also, the "Mexican" and "International" clubs would not have to bother with stupid drafts, salary caps, and all the rest of that junk, which so many of you feel are necessary. They would be free agents, the way all teams should be.

18. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I was there at the 1st match. A lot of ppl went, curious to see if a US league could produce quality soccer. A TON of ppl stayed away, refusing to go b/c the US isn't a footie nation. The G's averaged around 34,000 that year, primarily b/c there were %-wise a lot more Mexicans there to check it out than there are now. Even still, despite the improvements, despite the USMNT improvement, there are still an obscene amount of fans who are not coming to games b/c they are used to better quality. Now that you can see so many games on t.v. b/c of cable, now that they Internet facilitates following a foreign league, it's difficult to get these dormant fans into the gate.

The thing is, they are there. And while you can watch a foreign game on t.v., even though you can follow on cable and on-line the likes of ManU and Juventus and Barca et al, there's nothing like being at a live game.

19. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I absolutely don't consider myself a fairweather Barca fan. How often can I watch a Liga game live? Only when I'm in Spain.

So I've put my Barca jersey in the drawer and I wear it whenever I see fit.

But I LOVE quality football. I recognize an MLS will never be like Camp Nou when my parents took me to see Barca-Real Madrid and I was too scared to watch more than 3 seconds at a time, but then insisted that we come back the next week. But I enjoy going to games and seeing decent soccer. I take my dad and we have fun, scream at the ref, chant with the fan clubs. You can't do that watching t.v.

20. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I am amused by all the anti-Chivas rhetoric. If they wish to field a mostly Mexican and Mexican-American squad, then so be it. Personally, I would like to see MLS clubs reflect their communities' backgrounds. We often talk about Club identity in reference to colors, kits, etc. The players are also part of that identity.

I don't mean ethnic pandering, but rather creating traditions. Having San Diego Chivas become the club of Mexican or Latin American players would not be all bad. Yes I think they need to be careful not to shoot themselves in the foot with every other ethnic group, but Latin players have long been ignored by the soccer powers in this nation. I could envision that if MLS ever gets honest to God youth and reserve sides Chivas would have scouts scouring the Mexican amateur and youth leagues for recruits.

This is not unheard of in American soccer anyway. Remember one of the first attempts to have pro soccer in this country utilized whole clubs from foreign leagues as stand-ins for American sides. A different example was both the St Louis Stars (NASL) and Steamers (MISL) deployed alot of Local players.

21. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Mannah from Heaven...

Maybe if LA would just sign Luis Hernandez* MLS attendance would soar!!!

*or any Mexican flavor of the month...

22. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Are they bringing a Mexican coach??...I really hope so, this will spice more the league and will surelly separate the boys from the mens. I really hope we can at least have 3 under 18 AMERICAN BORN PLAYERS on chivas too hey no need for TAUAUCHI ... if we have TACO- UCHI right on San Diego....

23. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Will you people please get off the "Luis Hernandez" stuff, as if that defines Mexican players and MLS. It's like when I argue that MLS should be a free market league with no financial restrictions, all I hear is "NASL"--as if that's an argument.

I can't wait for San Diego to enter the league and start kicking ass.

24. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Dude, the only Mexican who could possibly draw consistent Mexican crowds in MLS is Hugo Sanchez in his prime (of course he was busy getting famous at Real)... I could care less how good/bad the player is.

25. Arturo

Arturo New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Monterrey, Mexico
    Damn, this is the firt time i've ever been able to agree with an America Fan ... on anything... LOL...

pretty much sums it up...

Arturo