Attendance: Week 22

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by feuerfex, Aug 13, 2002.

1. jwinters

jwinters New Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Crap. I'll crunch the numbers myself:

. . . . . w/o mia/tb . . w/ mia/tb
    1999 . . . 14,959 . . . 14,282
    2000 . . . 14,815 . . . 13,756
    2001 . . . 15,851 . . . 14,961

So, sure, finishing with a final average in the mid-15,000 range would be a good--a sign of consolidation after last year's growth. Hey, I'll take consolidating real gains over the opposite potential--p$$$ing it away--any time. But I don't know if I would call it growth as such.

2. You also should factor in the fire's stadium situation which has affected their numbers by about 4k this year and no world cup qualifying doubleheaders this year.

3. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

I like this post a lot. I think the league has done very well for itself this year. It went through a month and a half of having absolutely no focus on itself. (World Cup) It seems that more organizations are posting actual attendance figures (LA). SJ is improving attendence after a disastrous off-season. DC United is still posting great numbers, despite a few years of a horrible product. Finally, they seem to be turning it around with a strong backline, and a hard-working team ethic.

I only see positives. The attendance would be above 16K w/o Naperville. Who knows, we may still make it. However, there is still a lot of work to be done.

4. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe dcu discounted away games for Miami and Tampa, as well. This may have skewed the home averages for the rest of the teams.

- Paul

5. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    If they can't then MOVE THEM.

6. jwinters

jwinters New Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nice, but a quick calculation showed this wasn't the case. (In 1999, the 128 non-Florida games--both home and away--averaged 14,832.) In any event, the teams weren't dropped because they were bad road draws.

7. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New York and Los Angeles are holding the MLS back from having big numbers... Shame, Shame on them.