Attendance: Week 22

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by feuerfex, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp But let's not forget that those 12k+ games last month were played on weekend evenings.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Trust me, 11k+ for a Saturday 1pm game ain't bad for any MLS team at this point.

-G

2. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes - they did that last season. It was awesome! However, as much as I loved the Sting during their time, my color reaction has changed. I had a tough time cheering for a team that looked like the Crew. Regardless, it was a great time.

Second -- yes, NY-NJ (intentionally done to belittle Metrostars), is sucking wind this season both on the field and in the stands.

Move NY!

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's something wrong with every sentence of this post, but i don't have the energy right now.

Ya think?

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who-hoo! Ding! Ding! Ding!

Now all we need is a "pathetic" and we're outta here!

5. jotadia

jotadia New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Miami
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is is safe to say that when the Fire move back to Soldier Field (or whichever new field) that attendance will be back to 2001 levels next year?

6. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    2 Quick thoughts on Week 22

1. The mid-week numbers were better than the weekend numbers. That is a glass half-full-empty. Still, it shows how much attendence is a game by game situation.

2. I have been harsh on San Jose. I was the one who started the "Move San Joes Now" thread. I am starting to see the slightest glimmer of hope in the recent numbers. That noted, if San Jose played in Columbus, with its record and being defending champs, it would be standing room only, and tickets would be scalped for double face value. I have gone from Move San Jose Now to wait until the end of the season, and move San Jose for next season. Let's see if I get to leave them there for one more year.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Oh please, I hope you do get to leave tham there for one more year - if not you, than who? :rolleyes:

-G

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stadium won't be ready until at least August / September next year, and it's sounding unlikely even for that now. The Bears people are talking about playing some of next season (or preseason)'s games down in CU again.

9. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    No, its me. Do not be confused. Because I and I alone hold all common sense, and I will decide the fate of the Earthquakes. You can still save them, but you have to promise to go to every home game for the rest of the regular season, and the playoffs AND you have to promise to take 5 fans with you to each game. AND then, you have to get each of them to take along five fans, and so on. Otherwise I am pulling the plug next year. You have been warned. Do not make me mad. I will be watching.

PS No one said it was going to be easy being an Earthquake fan. To those whom much has been given, much is expected.

10. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    ummm... no joke david... there are usually a handful of games in which the Fire will go over 20K in attendance at Soldier Field... what would Colorado's avg attendance be this year if they were stuck in a 15,000 seater???

If SJ gets their marketing together, I'm sure they'd open up the endzone/upper bowl... it's easier to do that than ADD SEATING CAPACITY...

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Being an Earthquakes fan since the beginning, I wouldn't know what it's like to have been given much - giving Eddie Lewis back , as well as some advertising/marketing, would be a good start, though.

-G

P.S. = On second thought, if getting Eddie Lewis back means giving up Landon Donovan (considering that he's the reason why San Jose got Donovan in the first place), then never mind. :p

12. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    Move Fulham!

Oh wait, that was the problem in the first place...

13. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    No, it isn't. Capacity isn't even 15k...and for stretches of the year it's much less. Not to mention the surface...you think we could get Ireland-Mexico to play after a Fire game on that?

14. snowfx2

snowfx2 New Member

Jul 28, 2001
    so cal
    LOL (this post is a joke right?)

The reason they don't open up other sections at Spartan is because they don't sell enough tickets to call for it.

And if L.A. played in a bigger stadium, they'd get better attendance, what?!?! They play in one of the largest stadiums in the country, the 92,000 seat Rose Bowl (I'm praying that you're joking though).

I thought we're trying to get smaller stadiums to improve atmosphere and experience to improve attendance, not 60,000 plus stadiums with barely any atmosphere.

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the MetroStars could do a better job of marketing themselves.

I really wonder if the MetroStars' braintrust could've gotten 70,000 people to show up for Real-Roma if they were promoting it. As poorly run as the MetroStars were on the field when Charlie Stillitano was in charge, they could at least get people to come through the turnstiles. 12,000 was not an unusual attendance for the MetroStars -- on a Wednesday night.

16. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlie Stillitano is CEO of the organization that Promoted the Real-Roma match.

ChampionsWorld.com

17. NYfutbolfan

NYfutbolfan Member

Dec 17, 2000
    LI, NY
    I'm not trying to make excuses, but the humidity and heat on Saturday was pretty bad. You had to be either by the a/c or in the pool, anywhere else, including GS, was not the place to be this past Saturday.

18. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15,336 (...if I remember correctly) in New England tonight.

19. 8600 in KC. Pathetic.

20. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    DING DING DING... we have a "pathetic". Now someone post the final numbers and let's move on to next week.

Sachin

21. GreatZar

GreatZar Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 29, 1999
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    17,860 Wed at Clb
    15,919 Wed at Chi
    11,177 Sat at SJ (day)
    12,471 Sat at Met
    12,068 Sat at LA
    15,336 Sun at NE
    8,364 Sun at KC
    ----------------------
    93,195 (13,314ave for week)

next...

22. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    And according to today's Tulsa World, Tulsa mayor Bill LaFortune attended the game as a guest of Lamar Hunt... 8600 at Arrowhead compared to twice that many at CCS with LaFortune and company in attendance... now THERE'S a good argument for building your own SSS, no?!?...

Oh, Sachin... posted quotes from 2 Tulsa World articles on Stadiums/Expansions thread... you can move it to News and Analysis if that turns out to be more appropriate...

23. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Re: Attendance: Week 22

I'm not the moderator of that forum. I'm sure whomever moderates it will take care of it if necessary.

Sachin

24. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Not to mention the pouring rain at 6pm in Manhattan.

25. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    median: 13,493