Attendance: Week 22

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by feuerfex, Aug 13, 2002.

1. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    (the week 21 thread having degenerated into off-topic discussion,) It's time for week 22:

two midweek matches:

Fire hosting KC @ Nappyville
    Crew hosting LA @ Hunt Park

I'm not a prognosticator, but the Fire match will draw 14k+ (in fact it might be a stadium record attendance if the weather holds). How would that be for a Wednesday night in August?

and a full slate on the weekend:

SJ hosting DC in the afternoon
    LA hosting the Rapids
    Metros hosting the Burn
    NE hosting the Fire
    KC hosting the Crew

2. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    Wednesday....

Fire v. kc in naperville : 11900
    Crew v. LA in Cow-bus: 18850 (buck a brat night?)

Saturday....

SJ hosting DC : 8400
    LA hosting the Crapids: 14000
    Metros hosting the Burn: 14500

Sunday Night....

NE hosting the Fire: 15500
    KC hosting the Crew: 10002

This weeks average should be around 13307

3. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Naperville will draw better than 11K. Lots of freebies were given out. Look for 13-15.

4. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i have no idea how that will go down... mls has become much better at not reporting freebies

the stadium will probably be sold out, but i don't know what they are going to report, as the local neighbors are getting free tickets to the match per the fire lease

and i have no idea what number that is (for the freebies)... it will be interesting to see what they do with it and should also give some actual debate to this thread for once in a long while

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But will they count freebies in the crowd count?

@ Chicago : 12,207 (not including freebies)
    @ Columbus: 15,211

@ SJ : 7,401
    @ NJ : 15,231
    @ LA : 15,718

@ NE : 16,092
    @ KC : 11,264

Week 22 avg. : 13,303

lufty & I basically agree!

6. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    is soccer saturday at san jose this week?

if so, my call is for 5023 for their match

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, your pick is probably closer than mine of 7401.

I can see our expectations are high.

8. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be disappointed if the Quakes didn't get at least 7K. They had two early season contests that drew close to that. And it sounds like GM Johnny Moore has promoted this game heavily with youth soccer leagues according to posts on the Quakes board. I'm guessing it will be closer to 10K.

And the WUSA Rays didn't make the playoffs. It won't be much but it should give the Quakes a little bump in attendence.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, as all the people who have deserted the Quakes because of the evil competition from WUSA come scurrying back. ;)

It's Ukranian Night in Naperville as well tomorrow.

10. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did say "little bump". :)
    Just going with the thought that the Rays averaged 7k per game...that had to take something from the Quakes average. Most folks would love to attend I'm sure both teams on a regular basis, but soccer overkill and expenses come to mind.

I haven't done the math, but this is BS and I'm someone has, so what are the attendence averages in cities that house teams in both MLS and WUSA, and has this affected any of the teams in those markets over the last 2 years?

11. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    there is nothing out there to really say

washington shares the same facility, both are at or near the top of their respective leagues

i am assuming san jose use the same facility and are in the same area... the mls side is kinda unknown because there is a a lot of debate as to how true the attendance figures were in the past... some thought is that attendence there hasn't changed, just the reporting of it

new england teams play in different areas, one in foxbourough and one in boston

new york teams play in different areas too...

12. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire will announce an attendance of 14,576 on 8/14 and yes they will count all as, "tickets distributed."

13. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

but why?

the league seems to have been making the effort to not announce freebies... so why announce the neighborhood people freebies as part of the attendance?

14. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to sound like an ********************* here, but I can't think of a week in the last couple years that someone from SJ hasn't been disappointed with the attendance out there.

15. Just to let everyone know all sports count attendance that way. The NJ nets finally stopped doing that this year,as a result, I think they finished dead last in attendance. I think their average went fromlike 14k a game to like 8k a game.

16. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NJ Average Attendance
    2000-2001 13,807
    2001-2002 13,761

3 teams finished this year with a worse attendance than NJ (Houston, Charlotte, and Atlanta)

http://www.insidehoops.com/attendance.shtml
    http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0779624.html

Andy

17. Andy,

My fault on that post. I meant to add that they were getting those numbers in the first half of the season, then once they started winning the crowds picked up. Good work Andy.

18. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose boosted past attendence figures, but attendence has had a noticable drop "visually" in the last 3 years.

19. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the media (and BS posters) look at the attendence for every game as a "sign". Soccer fans want the numbers to look good so that the ESPN's and Frank Deford's of the world can't dismiss US soccer as 4 people in an English pub.

Budging numbers is a tried and true counting method. Just ask someone from Enron.

20. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    A friend of mine who does stats for the Quakes, and has been a fan since the NASL days told me that in the early days (1996-99), under different management, attendence figures were exaggerated from say, 6k, to a whopping 12k or greater.

Now, figures seem to be precise, and the stands are getting very full. Since the World Cup attendance has averaged between nine and ten thousand on average.

21. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heres my predictions...

@ Chicago : 11K
    @ Columbus: 14K

@ SJ : 6K
    @ NJ : 13K
    @ LA : 15K

@ NE : 12K
    @ KC : 8K

22. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quakes 8K
    Galaxy 14K
    Metros 13K
    Revs 15K
    Wizards 10K

23. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To make it seem like there are more people there than actually are there. Just like they count tickets sold even if the person is a no-show.

We will see what happens, if the crowd looks like it's fairly full and they only announce 9-10,000 then we will know they didn't count the freebies.
    I think this game is very unusual, in that the Fire does not usually give away a lot of tickets to games. This one time event was to buy or reward people for not complaining too much about having the Fire play in their backyard.

24. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    No offense man, but 9k-10k isn't anywhere near "very full" at any MLS stadium.

25. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey that will be more than Wimbledon's 668 home fans (2476 total) last Saturday.
    (and 15 travaling fans at Grimsby today.) ;)