Attendance this Sunday

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by lufty, Nov 5, 2003.

1. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    Anybody have a clue as to how many people will show and how many tickets have been sold to the game this weekend?

12,000?

2. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    I hope there's at least 12,000, but who knows?

Empires are bringing a bus, so that should make the other end interesting...

3. Allez_Zizou

Allez_Zizou New Member

May 24, 2002
    Metro Fan in Boston
    Well, with a forecast of 42 degrees for the high on Sunday (and partly sunny) I doubt that many casual fans will show up.

Certainly, with how early the sun is setting now, second half temperatures will be in the 30's. I just don't see overwhelming numbers--though as always, the more the merrier!

4. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    If only the casual fans knew about the comfort of being warmed up by the gourmet Gillette Stadium hot chocolate that tastes more like drinking hot water, though far more costly, they would surely be coming in droves.

5. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl
    based on recent figures the revs are lucky to get 12,000...really revs along with metros attendance have really been sucking as of late...hopefully the revs can prove me wrong with a 20,000 crowd.

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game is included in the Season Tickets, so there will be at least 6,000 sold. Of course, the Revs didn't exactly help themselves in this regard when, after thumping the Mutts in the last regular season game, they announced the date/time of the playoff game and that tickets were on sale, etc.

As I walked out of the stadium past the ticket booths, not one of them was open. I already had my tickets, but right then and there, they had a captive audience in a good mood after a big win. Surely there were people in the corwd more than interested in buying tickets on the spot. But there was no one to take their money.

Some of them are motivated enough to call in orders or come Sunday and buy walk-up tickets, but you can bet that the Revs left money on the table here with some of those people.

These are the kinds of things that keep attendance down, and have nothing to do with whether they spend money on advertising or marketing. Then again, REV-OKe will say that it's a good thing, since who knows how much it would have cost to pay the ticket sellers' salaries to have them working after the game.

Tom

7. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    You still haven't proven that the Krafts WANT more people to attend the games, or any people for that matter. I thought I'd post this in case Rev-Oke was busy...

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Game time temperature is supposed to be 39, dropping to 33 by end of regulation time. [And to think, some people want the game scheduled LATER so it doesn't conflict with MAPLE!]

I wouldn't expect much day of game sales when people get a sense of how nippy it is!

9. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    I've got about 10 coming for walkup... how many of them change there mind... thats another question

10. TheLimeChicken

Mar 27, 2001
    Dorchester, MA
    Don't know if this will have much of an effect, but there are a number of high school sectional finals tomorrow. In the north D-2 Boys and D-2 and D-3 Girls and in the south D-1, D-2, and D-3 girls. I don't know anything about the west and central tournaments. Again, it may not have too much of an effect, but I for one have a choice to make as my team kicks off at 3.

11. TTweLLMan

TTweLLMan New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Middleboro MA
    Me, My mom, My dad (possibly... work) My uncle, aunt, and 2 cousins, more likely than not my little brother... and possibly my older brother and his girlfriend....

12. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still holding my figure of 14,5K.

I'm doing my part. I'll be in the Fort with my father and brother.

13. The Perfesser

The Perfesser New Member

May 23, 1999
    AthensGA/NewburyptMA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad Prof Zodiac:

Attendance: 14,823
    Time of Game: 1:55
    Weather: Clear-and-39-degrees

14. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    I'll say it - pay staff to MAYBE sell tickets

Have they EVER had the box office open after a game ? If not then why do it this time when most fans would assume it was closed

By the way Tom, we advanced to the conference finals......but hey why spoil your night

15. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, last year during the playoff run as a matter of fact. And that was when I bought my tickets for the following match and had to wait in line to do so.

16. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    I have to give credit where it's due: I tried another hot chocolate at the stadium sunday, and it was really good. So far, in my experience, it's a 50/50 shot. Maybe the watered down version was a fluke. Guess I'll find out next year.

17. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    The most important numbers, short term, are 2-0, 1-1 = 3-1 and TWO, 2 wins away from a MLS title.

That said, 14,823, is a poor number for Sunday's attendance.
    It is mediocre, almost respectable, only when compared to the crowds that were generated this season. But it is poor in relation to what this team has drawn in the past and what we'd hope is still its potential to draw in the future.

Past? Future potential?
    Just look at the numbers that Lufty came up with for another post:

Revolution final home attendances
    1996- 38,533
    1997- 36,273
    1998- 24,763
    1999- 21,335
    2000- 20,419
    2001- cancelled
    2002- 20,215
    2003- 12,492

I'm sure the media campaign from fans started on this board by Magpie helped to drive up the numbers for yesterday's game. I shuttered to think what they might have been if the only marketing had been what the organisation did (or didn't do).

18. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far, play off attendance is looking strong than last year. Both NE and SJ beat their season averages yesterday (so did Chicago, but that was distorted by Naperville), which nobody did last year. The overall figure was lifted quite a bit last year by the 61K at MLS Cup. Even without that, the overall figures should be at least the same.

BF, the only way to judge yesterday's attendance is in comparison with the regular season. No prior Revs play-off game has even approached that year's regular season attendance, let alone surpassing it. I know you're always looking for ways to slam the Revs organization, and a reasonable number of them are valid points, but not this one.

19. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    How about being a vocal critic of the things our organisation is and has been doing wrong and that is responsible for the huge downturn in interest and attendance?

If those teams from the first few years had home playoff games and a legit chance to possibly win, what do you think the attendances might have been in relation to then and to now?

Again, there are only so many places the fingers can be pointed when a far superior product on the field generates much less interest and fewer and fewer customers.

The people on this board are fans and obviously still care about this team.
    But the fact is that the numbers are decreasing and our organisation is either unable or incapable of doing anything positive about it.
    Anyone interested in this team's future should be worried by this.

20. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shiny happy people holding hands

Hey George, glad to see you were able to pilot Big Krafty's yacht back from the Bahamas without hitting a pier this time. It's a good thing you are a lot better at shining shoes, cleaning swimming pools and fetching cosmopoplitans than you are at contextual analysis, otherwise you wouldn't have a livlihood.

So you are suggesting that if the Revs had to pay the salaries and electric bills for opeining the ticket booths for a couple of hours after the last game, they might not have been able to sell enough tickets to cover the operational costs. Guess what? They saved the money from not staffing the booths, but they sold exactly, um, zero tickets after the game. What I am saying is that maybe, just maybe, some of the people at the game would have been willing to buy tickets on the spot for the playoff game. Especially since they made at least a couple of announcements encouraging people to get their tickets. But they never got the chance.

But that's OK with you, because if Kraft doesn't have to pay his staff, then he can get by on fewer and fewer paid admissions. (and with fewer staff, that increases the odds for you winning the always-coveted "employee of the month" award.) But at some point, his fixed costs are going to come into play, and the minimum number of tickets sold will have to cover that. Bet you never thought of that.

And yes, in fact they have opened the box office after games. Back when they used to draw good crowds they did this all the time. But surely that was just a coincidence.

And if you had the ability to think in more complicated terms than the average third-grader, you would understand that one can be dileriously happy for the results on the field, yet very disturbed by the way the club runs things off the field, all at the same time.

Tom

21. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    Re: Shiny happy people holding hands

Amen, to that.