Attendance looks sad...

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by davethefourth, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. Considering the state of the economy--a bad decision.

2. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pricing helps fill up the seats that are in camera view. That's a good thing. If you have empties you want them on the University side.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I never understood why the league and the Quakes just don't give away some tickets to maybe youth teams and schools? I mean there seems to be a lot of marketing and players talking to youth groups and serving at soup kitchens so why not market the youth? I'd think it would be beneficial to the team and the league to pack em in.

On another note , now I am watching the FSC Super Sunday show and Max Bretos is talking about the possible move of DC United to St Louis.

He said if Garber is true to his word and if AEG could move the Quakes to Houston then why couldn't DC move to St Louis? It would be sad to move DC....

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. Still I think the rise in price of any of the seats this year was a good idea even if the overall prices went down. As we've seen the seats that went up in price appear to be the ones that have been empty the last two games.

5. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    I agree. Look at the Golden State Warriors?

6. Since1974

Since1974 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Downtown San Jose
    Last year, there were season ticket holders to my right, left, down in front of me and right and left of them. This year, NONE of them renewed, just me. Hmm.:( Of course, I now have a completely unobstructed view.

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they may have renewed and just moved. I know the season ticket holders behind and in front of me are gone from my area, but have moved to a different part of the stadium.

8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The theory is that if you start giving away tickets, people will expect and wait for the freebies and never pay for the product. If you believe in the product, then you charge for it.

Moving DC would suck.

It's the most storied team in the league, they have the most trophies, and they have good fan support. Moving them to Richmond or Baltimore even would still keep them in the same area, more or less. Moving them to St. Louis would totally blow chunks.

I am really hoping that this talk of moving the club is just a negotiating ploy to get the city of DC to step up and help keep the club in town.

yuck

GOOOOOOO QUAAAAAAAKES!!!!!!!!! :D

- Mark

9. Since1974

Since1974 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Downtown San Jose
    That's possible, they did raise the prices. However, no one has taken their places in those seats for any game so far.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well maybe they can organize groups of youth teams at discount rates..I'm sure they are doing that a little bit but I think they can do more.....

Yeah I wouldn't wish that on anyone ....especially after what we went through...what a joke!

11. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the uptick in Portland's attendance was that as Seattle's anticipated entry was picking up steam last year more news and rumors were circulating about
    Timbers also going down that MLS path- they got more exposure. So if 20k show up to the Oakland coliseum on Sat what will you south bay guys attribute that to? That its LA? That Quakes dont play week-in, week-out up in Oakland, and its a once-in-a-year thing?
    South Bay's soccer scene is too youth-soccer-suburban driven. The Quakes need more high profile Mexican players & Ribery, or some badass French dude. Maybe they should have a stripper night. I'd go for that. Anything, but the kids. Please get rid of the kids. As for the soccer fans preference for Euro soccer, its not about the preference for a higher performing league but more that Americans are very acclimated to the sports-watching-from-the-couch syndrome. I know alot of soccer guys like that, and not a single one of them is fat. I know thats a stereotype of American football fans...fat couch potatoes slobs. But American soccer fans, though thin, are also lazy couch potato bastards. Thats all there is too it. I like how Seattle has responded to the whole "we're different then the rest of America, and a little more internationally cultured in our sports interests" vibe that some Sounders execs have floated (d. carey). That would definately work in SF, but the City has the snobiest of soccer fans. Maybe there could be a soccer riot night. I'd go for that too. Hell, sign a whole bunch of French guys. People around here really fancy anything French. If they could quote obscure french philosophers in their interviews, then we'd really have a crowd.
    Oh sh&t, "24" is on.

12. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, the South Bay is to blame. Let's be like Seattle.

"Hey Johnny, hold your scarf over your head like this! It's how they do in soccer!"

"You're right, Sally! I also read something about the fans singing! I think we should join in when that comes along!"

"Yay, soccer!"

13. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    OK, I got it! How about we invite all the French soccer moms? That way we play to the natural south bay youth-soccer-suburban ethic, and at the same time, satisfy the fervent Francophilism that naturally permeates us all.

14. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really?

Oh, I see what you mean.

Don't forget the Hot Cheetos!

15. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring back Franco-American (sponsor!), for the children. No word yet from the parents, but it appears they've dropped the "Freedom Fries" thing. Where's Zidane?

Oh, and fans need to bring friends to games, by hook or by crook, as they say. There have been some reasonable efforts by FO towards this. Hopefully the Coliseum doesn't resemble a cavern this weekend, but fans will need to do their part to get people they know up there.

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, bring in Zidane for a heading clinic for the kids at halftime! Brilliant. Better than frisbee dogs.

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Francophiles? I thought most of the people on this board were Francophobes.

18. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I saw that they're offering a $50 deal for the game this weekend. For that, you can bring in your family of four and get a parking pass. I realize that the Coliseum is so huge that they are unlikely to sell out at any price, but it would be nice to see a promotion of that nature at Buck Shaw. Someone who isn't really into the team but attends just because it's a bargain is unlikely to come to Santa Clara for more games. Whereas if we get some of the South Bay crowd hooked by offering a teaser price, they may come back for more.

On that topic, I realize some of you disparage the soccer families, but I wish the team were doing more to attract them. The league packages they offer are just not very appealing either from a price or product perspective.

Finally, this ad campaign they're running is terrible. I can't blame the low attendance on that, but time to scrap the who/what/where ads for something that might actually entice some paying customers.

19. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Verite is Out There

20. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Es verdad.

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Frankophiles, maybe?

22. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's working really well. I've had 3 different friends/family, who know I'm a Quakes fan come up to me and say "What's a Huckerby". People are noticing the ads and they're sticking with them. That's pretty good for billboards and buses.

Just hope Ms. Huckaby from Tracy doesn't sour the whole campaign.

23. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shhhhhhh!!!!

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. I don't think they're half bad either. My family (who hate soccer) have actually noticed them an asked me about them. So that's something. They're definitely having some impact.

25. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Es verdad!