Attendance for Colorado vs. KC - 41,987???

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by USvsIRELAND, Jul 4, 2005.

1. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    According to MLSNET.com

Is that true!?!?!?!

Was their a game before it!?!?!

WOw!

How did so many people come out?

2. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    4th of July - fireworks show after the game.

3. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Dang!

They should do fireworks after every game!

;)

4. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Great crowd and a good result, congrats Rapids fans and team. :)

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're new here, aren't you?

6. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    A comparison: the Rockies drew 48,000 tonight.

7. rojojova

rojojova Member

Mar 7, 2001
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the purpose of that comparison? did they, too have fireworks?
    If my memory serves me correctly the attendances for the Rapids 4th of July games used to be bigger. Did the Rockies not do fireworks in the past? Are they cutting into to the Rapids "action?"

8. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    The Rockies do a fireworks game or two every season but they usually are on the road for the 4th so they have it on sometime before or after the 4th. this year both the Rockies and the Rapids had july 4th fireworks displays.

9. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    6K more fans for Rockies w/fireworks? But then their payroll is probably 6K more for their players too isn't it? (600K, 6M ?)

10. O' Razov my Razov

Jun 22, 2005
    Albany
    42k is a great result guys congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its Awesome to have a tradition by the soccer team established in Colorado!!

11. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    A couple years back, they got 60,000+ for the game on the fouth- must not have been a Rockies game to compete with.

12. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year I don't think there was a Rockies game and the Rapids got 40,000 +. The big change came when KSE bought the team. The last AEG fireworks game got 60,000. It is either a change in marketing between the two teams or a change in gate numbers reported.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    When the new stadium is built, they should still play this one game a year in the "big house." Anyone agree? You won't be able to fit 42k in the new stadium. Supply and Demand baby. Supply and Demand.

14. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations Rapids.
    That's a great turnout.

15. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Must be marketing......AFAIK all teams report gate numbers the same way: tickets sold + vouchers redeemed + give aways.

16. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    41K sounds great until you consider that the July 4th number is traditionally needed to make up for all the 10K attendances and that they used to draw more on Independence Day in the past.

17. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Considering the Rockies had fireworks last night and considering the team's performance this year, I, like others thought the attendance would be way down. That considered, I think the attendance was great.

18. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    I don't think the attendances is "GREAT" considering the past. But when you throw 48K at the rockies ... 42K is "SATISFACTORY".

50K would have been "REALLY GOOD"
    60K would have been "GREAT"
    70K would have been "AMAZING".

Still, I miss those 60K crowds.

3 factors: KSE, Rapids crappy play for a few seasons, Rockies game.

19. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm satisfied with 42k. Especially since the Rapids raised the prices $5 across the board for this game , went against a Rockies game, and really didn't seem to give many tickets away. To me, this is a sign that KSE marketing is starting to figure a few things out.

I'm beginning to wonder if AEG wasn't doing a bit of "papering the house" before they sold the team to Kroenke. Sure there was 60k on the 4th before they sold the team, but could there have been a lot of discounted tickets and free offers? Does anybody remember?

20. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    'Neither, it was a change in the comp tickets that AEG used to purchase. many more freebies. Which translated in 10s of thousands of no-shows.

It's encouraging that KSE can draw that many on honest marketing.

21. foote5252

foote5252 New Member

Jun 8, 2005

good call.... oddly enough i was thinking the same thing last night. wouldnt be a bad idea. is KSE is smart, they will seriously consider that.

22. denver_mugwamp

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    For comparison purposes, the Colorado Rockies payroll for 2005 is $48 Million. The Rapids are probably less than $2 Million. And the Rockies are perrenial bottom dwellers in MLB so it kinda makes you wonder what the better teams are paying.

23. Bilbo

Bilbo New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Box under I-25/ I-70
    Why share all the moeny with INVESCO Field? I say sell out the July 4th game at Rapids stadium and finally create some demand for the tickets. Don't start skimping on the fireworks show though.

24. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    They definitely should not play the July 4 game at Invesco when the new stadium opens. That defeats the purpose of having a new stadium if it isn't good enough for special events. Even if they'll make a little less money, it's the better move for the long run.

25. denver_mugwamp

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Didn't the Galaxy think about doing their July 4th game at the Rose Bowl after they built the HDC? I guess they didn't think it was worth it.