Attendance/Atmosphere

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by IBleedTeal, May 1, 2004.

1. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Is it just me, or did today's atmosphere kind-of suck?!

Last year when we got packed houses at the end of the season, people were into the game and the stadium had a pretty loud buzz and erupted when something happened.

Today was dull.

The Chicago game, even though 8k, was louder than Spartan today and the fans were really into the game..

And I didn't see a direct Adu effect. The stadium reacted to his touches/playing/substitution like they would any other forward in the league.

I dont get it.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The attendance itself today was very reminiscent of Spartan Stadium in the first several MLS years, so if Lalas and co. start busting their humps raise the attendance, it can be raised on a more regular basis. :)

Granted, Adu won't be returning here until August, but at least there won't be another 1pm PT game here for quite a while (which will be especially helpful if there's another Sharks 12 noon Saturday game this NHL postseason).

However, as far as the atmosphere, I also noticed that it was a bit more subdued than similar Spartan crowds in the past. This was especially evident when "The Wave" never took off today, unlike in similar attempts in the past. :confused:

GO EARTHQUAKES!!!

-G

3. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was great to have so many people there. I'd love to see that at every game.

But I was more subdued after the first half when the heat started to get to me. I've always had a problem dealing with the sun (I'm Irish :) ), so I'm sensitive to the heat anyway. But it really got to me today.

Either that or the "bouncy" wore me out. :D

4. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was more of a breeze this week, but still pretty hot overall.

It was a California mellow crowd. dude. Folks were having a good time. Expect better intensity next week (first night match).

I really enjoyed seeing the entire lower bowl packed w/ folks.

Casbah was in fine form. Good job.

Ultras - Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back. You guys seemed either rusty or hung over (lol).

5. masoo

masoo Member

May 31, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Section 130 was very nutty, at least in the lower rows. There were some young women sitting around Row 8 or so who joined in on pretty much every Casbah chant when they weren't taunting Freddy Adu, and then there was a drunken Englishman in a West Ham United jersey who spent the entire match yelling the f-word and "bloody wanker" at all the DC players ... oh yeah, he also chewed out the linesman, who he referred to as "offside geezer."

6. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You're going to see this everywhere Freddy plays, including here in DC. The casual fans get into the game if something is scored or a really good shot is blocked, but otherwise, they arent quite as loud or as appreciative of nice one touches, nice crosses, etc as a supporters section or the regulars are.

7. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey... it looked good on TV even the endzones were mostly full except for the "downsized" sections..... unfortunately though, when i turned on Soccer Saturday and saw that many at Spartan i assumed correctly that Adu must be there...

i read some of you said that there wasnt much of an Adu factor, well that would be GREAT if there wasnt.... that means yall drew that many people not relying on the Phenom... thats fantastic news... BUT... for this persons perspective, all the way over here in michigan, whats the explanation for the large crowd today if it isnt Sir Freddy???

i also did hear "over-rated" on TV though.... good effort from the supporter club, although, not too original or correct...

enlighten me yall!!!!!

8. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um...anyone who says it wasn't for Freddy is wrong. There were tons of kiddies there wanting to see Freddy. And to be honest, I picked this weekend to come back home so I could see Freddy too. I could have just as easily come next weekend. I came back for other reasons, but I chose THIS game for Freddy. Can't really say it was worth it though.... I had a great time, glad to be back, but I coulda waited too.

9. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep....was a good size crowd, but you couldn't really tell. Sitting in section 130 it was good to hear the Ultras on one side and the Casbah on the other, but after about 20 minutes it was pretty damn silent. Kind of a bummer game too. I was really hoping that the crowd would be really into it, and the Quakes would play a real exciting game in front of all the fans....was hoping that some of them would want to come back. Honestly....If I was a casual fan I would have thought it was all boring as hell.

Anyway...I guess the true attendance test is right around the corner. Let's see how we start pulling for some of these night games.

Did get to talk to Wynalda before the game. I asked him for my beer, but never got one. Good guy! Would have loved to talked to him more, but I knew he needed to get going. He said he would remember my name....is he running for office somewhere? ha ha ha

10. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco

The Ultras aren't exactly the afternoon crowd, look for a better performance next weekend. Plus since we are once again on "double secret probatation" (for no real reason this time) we are taking things a bit slower and with more caution, in other words we have toned the passion down to a level the GM can live with.

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had a lot of newbies behind us for the Adu Circus. Listening to them talk was hilarious ... the guy explaining to the girls how soccer does TV timeouts, etc.
    that said, hopefully a lot of these people come back. But IBT was right, the stadium atmosphere was kinda blah.

12. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I thought it was pleasant--sort of like going to an afternoon baseball game, people just hanging out in the stands hoping for a breeze. Lots of kids there with their teams. We're in row 2 so mostly season ticket holders around us (no amusing comments from first-timers).

I had hoped Q had been banished but at least he kept his distance this week. A couple of blonde nymphets were cruising the stands during the game--handing out tickets and tshirts and snuggling up to various (male) fans. Don't know if this is an fo innovation to increase attendance, but I suppose it's better than cheerleaders.

13. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were the Tremor Girls or something like that. My wife saw them taking pictures with male fans and then they were passing out flyers after the game.
    Whatever.
    But if it puts a couple more butts in the seats, can't be all bad I guess.

14. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it is bad. It objectifies women in a most disgusting way.

See, when I was growing up I was a dancer (hey, get your mind out of the gutter). And I loved watching sports too...supporting my teams. I just live for a good sports game. So putting the two together, one of the things I "wanted to be when I grew up" was a dancer for a sports team. And, yeah, they do dance around half naked and they are somewhat objectified. But you don't get the job for that alone. You aren't being hired because you'll put on a short skirt and a tiny shirt and snuggle up to some men. You have to go through a really, really, really hard audition process. Believe me, I know. And in the end you only get the job if you can dance or cheer or whatever. But the Tremor Girls were hired to do nothing more than carry their half naked bodies around the stadium to sell our Quakies. They were using their bodies to promote our Quakies. And, as a woman, that makes me sick.

15. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :(

you're absolutely right SJQF.

16. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's my take on it. I know others feel that cheerleaders/dancers are no better than these Tremor Girls. And I can understand that. It's just all in how each person looks at things. :)

17. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it did seem harmless ....... if that matters? :)

18. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    To me, there is a big difference between cheerleaders and dancers--who are usually very talented and fun to watch--and girls who work the audience, one by one, as if they were auditioning for lapdancing jobs at the Kitkat Club. Also, my experience with professional cheerleaders and dancers is that they complement the play--performing during breaks or at halftime. Not the case with these girls, who seemed to be doing their best to distract attention from the game.

19. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the hussies :mad: you should never detract from a quakes game. NEVER!

20. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Funny that Lalas finds the Ultras so offensive, yet he brings in these bimbos to market the team. Do they get paid? and if so is it more or less then the cost to roll up the tarp 3 rows in the South End?

21. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    I'll take 17k+ and a so-so atmosphere any day!

Still, I think the crowd was drained by the hot mid-day sun. I know it takes a lot out of me. Takes a lot out of the players too.

(On the other hand, the 26k game was really dead too. Maybe the so-so fans just don't get pumped up.)

I'm very encouraged that we're averaging 13k after 2 afternoon games. We should be on the way to a good number this year. And boy do we need it.

22. Rumbler

Rumbler New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    San Jose
    I've never been to a day game when the crowd was "really" into it. It's always the night games that brings out the best in all of us. The sun just drains you because you're more concerned about how to stay cool, so it's a distraction. Looking forward, it should be better when the schedule is back on track for the evening games.

23. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a trial run for the Tremor Women, and they were getting paid for today's gig. I don't have an objection to them, compared to the other cheerleading groups, so as long as they are a "meet and greet" outfit and letting the fans concentrate on the game. Their Maxim/Playboy style looks are enough to make the male fans' eyes wonder away from the pitch.

It was also enough that I had my picture taken postgame with them so I "dorked" up the shot. Nice people, but if I had my druthers I would ask them out for a cup of coffee. If they put them in bikinis I'd probably jump ship.

I'll take the Quakes, Freddy, and a good game anyday over any gimmicks.

However, I'll take the size of today's crowd. If they can return for some if not all of the games and it's right at 12,000 or more, I'm content. Cheers!

24. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    i am never going back to an afternoon game, unless it's the shizit, like Galaxy or Fredinho at age 19.

Atmoshpere sucked. i was exhausted by the sun. I lent my hat to my gringo friend, who needed it more than I. ;) And I saw more afro-americans today than all the other games I've been to combined... :)

It was nice to see a Quake get a bigger good-bye cheer than Fredinho when they left right at about the same time. That's a sign of respect for the home players.

didn't notice the semi-naked women, so i can't opine...

25. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    More power to ya sjqf.

Pretty sad when Rob Stone announced that the attendance was "just shy of 20K." Just shy by 3K.