Attendance Analysis - "Polling Utahns' Feelings on Major League Soccer"

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by scaryice, Dec 4, 2004.

1. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    We asked, “Will you attend a Real Salt Lake soccer game this season?” A total of 13% say definitely or probably, 28% say probably not, and 57% say definitely not.

The numbers for soccer look much more promising when we asked, “Do you believe MLS soccer will be a success in Utah?” Exactly half say they think it will succeed here, 35% say no.

http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=5&sid=136769

At first, only 13% doesn't seem like a very good number. But, it was for the whole state of Utah, not just Salt Lake City. I think that's probably better than any other market's numbers would be. The 2000 census has Utah's population at 2.2 million. A little quick math...

2,233,169 x .13 = 290,312

290,312 / 16 = 18,144

If all of those 13% attended a game, the average attendance would be over 18,000, and that's not even including anyone who goes to more than one game. That would suggest an average of over 20,000 a game.

Obviously, this is just a quick analysis, and I would be surprised at over 20,000 per game, but I wouldn't be surprised if RSL is in the top half of the league for attendance. They are in a similar situation to Columbus, which has turned out good for them. Of course, hopefully your on the field performance is better than theirs.

2. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view2/1,4382,595110018,00.html?textfield=soccer

3. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Howes said those figures don't jibe with the club's ticket sales, which have been brisk"

what exactly does this mean, jibe and brisk...if i understood jibe maybe i would understand the brisk part, hah, someone...

4. sokol

sokol Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I actually think 13% is an encouraging, although we'll see whether or not "yes I'll absolutely go to a game" turns into actually going to games consistantly. I'd also guess that only around 1.5 million people live close enough to Salt Lake that they'd go often to games. However that poll's data, as all polls of that nature, doesn't mean too much. We don't know anything about the demographics surveyed, just "300 Utahns." It doesn't really tell us how much support certain demographics will provide. Also, it's fair to guess that the poll was only adults, or people old enough to buy their own tickets. Especially in Utah this skews the data. 1 adult answering "yes I'll go" may be equal to 5 tickets sold.

5. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Like Ice & Sokol mentioned, you have to think about how this poll was conducted.

Did any of these 300 live in Dutch John or Blanding?

Also, how many were asked "¿Cree Ud que va a asistir a un partido del Real Salt Lake?" We'll get a few thousand more for the Chivas Lite games.

Also, we have to take into account our unique demographics? I would have answered, "Heck, yes, I'll be at every game!", which will be a lie.

But some people who say they aren't going will be drafted into going as part of a youth team group.

6. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I actually was called by Dan Jones & Co regarding a KSL poll and blew them off (I didn't know it was for soccer)... I was sitting down with wife and kids after dinner and when the telemarketer told me it would take 8-9 minutes - I said "no thanks".

The point is that I personally could have skewed the result by .33%... polls of 300 people only become meaningful when you understand how they chose their demographic, who they ended up talking to (i.e. the demographic of the respondent), and OVER TIME. 10 of these polls over a 20 week period might actually tell you something...

7. Argentine Gaucho 25

Nov 15, 2004
    California
    57% say definately not, that's sad imo. But I think RSL will workout perfectly.....

8. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I wonder how these percentages compare vs. other MLS/potential MLS markets like Columbus or Rochester. The market research firm should probably have sampled some folks in Columbus to try and calibrate what these percentages mean.

9. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    It would also be good to know how these compare to other sports in the area... say NBA Jazz, Utes Football & Basketball, BYU Football & Basketball, IHL Hockey, Minor league Baseball...

Then you could compare poll results with actual attendance numbers... because even 3% of 1,000,000 is 30,000 (so if only 3% are hardcore fans, it may represent quite a bit). Many of those who attend games will likely attend more than 1 game.

One weakness of single-entity is that it doesn't adequately reward those teams with the best attendance/merchandise sales... A team that packs a stadium like LA deserves to have more money and thus buy better players, etc... preserving the ability to continue to satisfy their customers (err fans). BUT this doesn't belong in this thread.

10. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why do all of you simply count out all the fans that may travel to see a game or 2 from out of Utah?

That number could be in the hundreds from idaho, montana and wyoming..

sheesh...people always forget that there are living human beings that like soccer in these states :p

11. One More Year

One More Year New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Frisco
    Well, he is basically saying that your numbers so far looks good. I do think you will get some fans from MT. Those guys love sports. Anyone knows if MT people are a major contributor to Jazz?

12. Bayern1986

Bayern1986 New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Does anyone know how many season tickets have been sold so far?

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More than Houston MLS.

14. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Unofficailly...
    Around the time of the expansion draft the number that was being batted around was 1500 season tickets sold so far... With me included it would be about 1502 sold....

Keep in mind this was over three weeks ago and before any advertising campaign was launched. There is now a push to sell tickets so it will be interesting to see how many will be sold...

15. jfranz

jfranz New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Portland, OR
    This was pointed out in another thread on this topic, but if only 1/5 of the 3% who said they will definately support RSL buy season tickets, that's 14,000 season tickets.

Don't know what that's worth except to show how misleading that rubbish survey is.

16. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    This poll tells me nothing. 300 people Utah-wide? Let's just wait until the season to figure out how much attendance we get for sure, it doesn't really matter what 300 people state-wide say they will do now in a season that happens April-November.

17. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Was the 57% in St. George or Kanab?

erm... Utah is BIG! Salt Lake is not exactly in the middle bit! Southern Utah may feel somewhat left out!

Survey's like election polls... are only good for swaying public opinion not measuring it... but that is a completely different argument... not within the scope of this message thread or even this board!

Basically this survey means nothing!!!

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't the Utah Blitzz, in the Pro Soccer league (read that as Division 3 US soccer) have regular attendance in the 2000-3000 range? I am sure RSL will easily quadruple that if not more (better be more!).

19. mckid

mckid New Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly! And the Blitzz did no real advertising that I'm aware of. Outside their youth team systems of course.

I don't think RSL will break attendance records, but they'll do well.

20. dysko

dysko New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of the middle of last week, there had been nearly 1100 season tickets paid in full. That didn't count people who had deposits or partial payment in.

21. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Final average attendance: 18,037

Looks like that quick math was right on the money. :)

22. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I'm glad you bumped this old one up. Funny how close the team came to that number. Looks like you need a job witht he FO! :)

23. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Good show, sir.