Atletico Madrid vs Liverpool FC - CL - Feb 18 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Jürgen Klopp on Sadio Mane: "I was a little afraid the opponent would go down even if Sadio took a deep breath. I didn't want that situation so that's why I took him off."

For once, I think Klopp got one wrong. Sadio Mane is one of the best players in the world. If you take him off at halftime because of their shithousery, their shithousery has worked. I would have trusted Mane and kept him on the pitch. He was our biggest threat in the first half. It didn’t help that Origi was really poor.

Wingtips1 and B.A. repped this.
  2. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did exactly what they wanted him to do.

3. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    why do you care now?

4. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Well that sucked. The early fluke goal set AM up perfectly and we weren’t on our best form for sure. Let’s make it right at Anfield.

BtownKj, delaynomo and B.A. repped this.
  5. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    no he is anti english and is looking for a carrot

6. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    we need to play at a faster tempo at anfield for sure

BtownKj, delaynomo and B.A. repped this.
  7. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Not used to losing, are we. I’m not getting into the second leg until I see us scoring and freely again.
    Then we can show them how Barca felt.

8. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he trusted him until he saw the comical flop from the Atletico player looking for the second yellow on the "elbow" about 2-3 mins from halftime. After that, the decision was made for Klopp.

Two points:

1. 1 minute of extra time in the first half? What on earth - with the goal, the VAR review, the multiple Atletico "injury", the diving, cheating, rolling around etc.? What a joke of a ref.

2. You need a lockpicker against Atletico - Keita needed to be introduced at some point. He needs to start the 2nd leg.

BtownKj, soccershaggy and B.A. repped this.
  9. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yet our players several times tried to shepherd the ball out of play and allowed atletico players to turn goal kicks into throw-ins.

10. augie

augie Member

Mar 22, 2000
    St. John, USVI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We weren't at our best, and I only saw the second half, but I don't think both teams were playing by the same set of rules. Innocuous foul by Gomez gets a yellow, and a half dozen of the same by Atletico and no cards come out. And Ox being fouled near the end as he was bursting into the box was so blatant, yet...nothing.

Had we been at our best it wouldn't have mattered, but it didn't look like a level playing field to me.

newterp repped this.
  11. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We didn't play at our best, however, combined with the team we were playing, and the dumbarsiest ref out of dumbarseville. I'm actually not that disappointed with 1-0 in the end.

Yes, it would've been nice to get the away goal, but if we can't get over this mob at home only chasing 1-0, then we don't deserve to go through.

usscouse repped this.
  12. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Someone had some fun! :) (click on the image to make it larger)

[​IMG]

B.A. and usscouse repped this.
  13. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  14. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if a decade is 10 years and the clock starts with Year One AD, then the tenth year is 10 AD. how do you not see that?

if you want to change the rules of math to mean that ten = eleven, who am I to object?

i unnerstan that the 80s are 1980 - 1989, but it's an artificial construct.

in what year did the first decade begin?

15. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the Norwich match which was decided by a late goal, it's a little disturbing to see Liverpool unable to score over 90 minutes of football. Let's hope this is an anomaly.

16. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The entire BC/AD numbering system is an artificial construct!

.......... invented by some monk at a time when they didn't know there was such a thing as zero!!!

17. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I disagree. No doubting that Atlético were trying to get him sent off and ordinarily I would agree with your take, but the ref was so poor and too easily influenced.

I think Klopp took off Mané not because he didn’t trust him, but because he didn’t trust the ref.

delaynomo, B.A., Red Bird and 3 others repped this.
  18. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #118 newterp, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    to be fair - the ref was absolute shit. Still, we needed to do more.

B.A., Samarkand and Red Bird repped this.
  19. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That in itself is a really sad state of affairs. This is the Champions League. How is the standard of refereeing so poor that we are substituting off our best player?

I still think Klopp was overly cautious. I didn’t really like any of the subs to be honest.

As always, Klopp will probably he proven right in the end when Mane scores a hat trick in the second leg and make me look stupid for obsessing over the away goal.

zaqualung, B.A. and Samarkand repped this.
  20. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #120 Red Bird, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    No disrespect to our team but Athletico is more capable of defending for 90 minutes and also scoring the odd/fluky goal. Much more so than Barcelona last year. Napoli has already shown how to do it an Anfield. I'm not as confident as the players and manager that we'll score and keep Atletico from scoring at the same time.

That said, this is Liverpool. It has never done anything the easy way. We've lost most of our away matches under Klopp for some reason which has always put additional pressure on the team to deliver at home. We just may run out of these chances-- there was not much in Atletico's overall play last night to stop us from at least having shots on target.. It was moistly down to poor decision-making from us.

21. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this elsewhere - sums up the night:

I’m sure everyone’s favorite play last night was when the Atletico player was running BEHIND Fabinho late in the second half and tried to take the ball - instead he missed and Fabinho “caught” him while trying to move the ball forward (he did and stumbled too). The Atletico player then goes does as if shot writhing in pain - we are attacking. Ref stops play to go check on the Atletico player - other Atletico players try to tell the ref Fabinho did it on purpose and should be carded. Attack over.

usscouse, Wingtips1, augie and 3 others repped this.
  22. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ugh. Yes, I understand that there was no "year 0" but (as delay pointed out), the whole bloody thing is an "artificial construct." When we talk about decades (you know, here on planet Earth), we go by the 10 digit. 1980-1989, 2010-2019, etc.

Aren't you a teacher? I feel sorry for your students. You seem to focus on the stupidest, minute shit and miss the larger picture. I can't tell if you're trying to be funny or you're just an ass. I haven't been able to tell for over a decade now.

newterp repped this.
  23. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For everything, there is a first time...

*Diego Simeone has never lost a CL knockout tie against a team that didn't contain Ronaldo.

*Jurgen Klopp has never lost a European knockout tie since becoming LFC manager.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  24. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    let’s see what a pissed off Sadio Mane and Mo Salah can do with their own home cooking.

25. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah - ******** that slimy little ********ing Correa.

Wingtips1 repped this.