Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Yahtzee, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Do you remember how cynical we could get under Mourinho? To add, Simeone is something, but the fact that he's been able to get Atletico a La Liga and to two CL finals in a decade dominated by Madrid and Barca is something else. I'd personally have no issue with Simeone managing us honestly.

The only legit complaint one can have against him is that he doesn't rotate. He runs his players into the ground, evident in Arda Turan and now Antoine Griezmann. The other complaint is that he's trying to recreate the Atletico sides he had in the last ten years, but it's not the same.

2. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    I feel similarly. Maybe it brands me as a shallow fan, but I want to win AND enjoy it. I loved Mourhino at first (mostly for how he put the screws to Wenger), but the style got old. And I could NEVER get behind Hannibal Lecter. He shouldn’t even be playing football.

StamfordBridgeLions repped this.
  3. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    To win and play beautiful football. Is that really too much to ask? Maybe it is. Defending is beautiful too at times.

Simeone is a great coach, as were the Jose and the Conte. But the dark arts of cheating, diving, biting, scratching, trying to get other players cards, rolling around on the floor, using the N word against opposition (Suarez vs. Evra), etc. It is not something I can get behind. Not my cup of tea. Simeone is a great coach and if he wants to dress all in black that is his choice. But he will never reach the status of Johnny Cash.

Suarez is a very talented footballer. But. . .the racist digs and the biting.

All that to say is we have only done half the job against the Atletico Madrid team. They can score, they can park the pass and wait for penalties, they can frustrate and they can exploit any lapse in our concentration. They entered this fixture as the clear favourites and they still are.

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can I just remind people that we were at our most successful when JT set the tone by, among other things, stopping drogs going to ground too easily.

Once you get a reputation for that, particularly over here, everything your players do gets judged in that way and that includes referees.

Dr_Intoxicated repped this.