Atlantic Yards

Discussion in 'Art & Architecture' started by Matt in the Hat, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=4835857

Looking forward to the development of this project. I mean this site was set aside for the Brooklyn Dodgers and due to Bob Jones' meddling and his sick obsession with the car, nothing happened.

Current civil concept:

[​IMG]

Have any of the architects or planners here dealt with eminent domain though your work. I understand it's a sticky process and it's never popular but may be necessary at times.

2. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have, two new school projects. One for the building and another for a playground. one was is to be built on the site of an existing school and convent, only a hand full of properties needed to be acquired. The park project required acquisition of 6-7 properties. They issue legal notices that the properties need to be acquired for the greater good, the school or playground. They then offer buyouts for the properties at market value. Most people typically sell without much incident, though you always have one or two people that try to resist either because they want more money or they are just too attached to move.

3. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    I think you mean Bob Moses. Unless there was something about cars and interracial dating in downtown Brooklyn that I missed.

Have they reworked the transportation plan yet? The Atlantic-Pacific station and that intersection at Atlantic/Flatbush/4th Ave are total messes right now at rush hour. I can't imagine it with 40,000 more people (or whatever the total number is) living there.

4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moses. Whoops!

When was the last time you were at the train station because the flow and the wayfinding signage has improved greatly in the last 5 years. As for the streets, not so much

5. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Three months ago. Used to commute through there on the 2 or 3. Got on at Grand Army Plaza, but the trains were absolutely packed by people getting on at Atlantic. Never really had to navigate the station itself.