Atlanta Silverbacks 2014

Discussion in 'Atlanta NASL' started by blkbrnrvr, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    I'll say it. ******** Chavez. We were playing great before he pulled that shit. That game should've been a shining moment for the club and for him. Word is the club is going to try and get some of the red cards taken away, so hopefully at least Poku and Carr are back.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you guys know when/why your third player was dismissed? The two that were dismissed during the fight I doubt you have any chance of overturning but nobody saw the 3rd red card come out afterwards.

Not real impressed with the attitude of the Silverbacks last night. Taunting the fans after the second goal and then dancing at midfield post-game after the way the game went? I appreciate its a big win for you guys but the temperature of the 2nd half really called for celebrations to happen in the locker room.

3. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to the Silverbacks. Good luck in the Quarters!

4. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to this MLSsoccer.com boxscore, Borfor Carr was ejected for foul and abusive language. If true, that's an absolute joke. The Chavez foul was clearly a red card, but I think the other ejections were a gross overreaction on the referee's part.

5. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the very least, we really need to get Poku back. Otherwise, Deon McCaulay might be playing up top with Eric Ati against Chicago/Columbus. :eek:

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, folks. The fall season starts on July 12th, so how do we improve enough to qualify for "The Championship"?

In all honesty, I don't think we were too far away from challenging for the spring season title. Had the bounce of the ball gone differently in a few games, we would have been right there in the thick of things. We probably should have beaten San Antonio, tied Minnesota, and beaten Indy.

Having said that, we definitely have to tighten things up defensively. Although, it's important to note that 11 of the 20 goals we allowed during the spring came in 3 games (NY, Fort Lauderdale, and Indy). We definitely need to replace Reiss, at the very least for depth. Roushandel seems to have been a good addition. I hope we see more of Navarro in the fall.

Offensively, things still look pretty good despite losing so many key pieces during the offseason. Chavez has been a revelation, and Poku seemed to find his feet down the stretch. The big question mark is McCaulay. He missed so many sitters during the spring that he probably should have finished with 5 or 6 goals. I hope he starts to find his form this fall. We desperately need to add depth at forward, too. After all, a few injuries or suspensions could leave us utterly screwed. I don't think Ruben Luna is playing anywhere right now. Maybe we could add him to the roster?

I think the midfield has been OK. We obviously lost a lot of quality in Menjivar, Barrera, and Blanco, but I think Gavin, Burgos, and Sandoval have been pretty good there. I'm hoping to see more of Harlley in the fall -- just without the red cards.

Your thoughts?

8. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    I think we'll be better defensively now in the fall thanks to getting some idea of just what our first-choice back line is going to look like. The loss of Reiss certainly hurts, but with Navarro getting back into the frame and Roushandel getting his legs under him, things might be looking up a bit. Carr at right back has the potential to be a good move, especially given how crowded the wing situation is these days.

With Harlley seemingly being on the verge of having the light really come on and Poku's light certainly shining brightly these days, we really stand the chance to have the most dangerous midfield in the league. I'd normally shy away from such high praise, but it's hard for me to deny that idea.

If McCaulay gets going to take some of the scoring burden off of Chavez, the top four is well within reach.

9. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Looks like Reserves coach Alejandro Pombo will coach versus Chicago Fire on Wednesday.

10. drummer

drummer Member

Nov 29, 1999
    Atlanta
    I am proud of how well the Silverbacks played against Chicago last night. I thought we played well enough to win, and that with a bit of luck or better finishing we could have been up 3-1 before that rather soft PK was awarded.

Also, after seeing that Carolina lost 2-5, I was left wondering if we ended up winning the $15,000 prize for advancing the furthers in the NASL (since we ended with a -2 goal difference, and Carolina was -3 goal difference).

I feel like our team deserve it. If we did win it, I hope all of it is split between the players.

11. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked like a good crowd in Atlanta last night. Sorry I missed it, even though the home team lost.

12. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    From what I've heard, the Silverbacks will get it due to having beaten more MLS teams in regulation.

13. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Someone posted on the FB page that Navarro was at the airport and he was leaving to join FC Edmonton. I really hope it's BS but if that's true I really don't understand what the FO is thinking. Our defense was just starting to gel now we lose both Reiss and Navarro. What was the point of getting these new owners if we still can't keep anybody around?

14. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
  15. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. Beto was one of my favorites. I talked with him after a game last year, and he seemed like a really cool guy.

I know they have had at least a couple trialists in camp recently. With Reiss leaving and now Navarro, you would think they would be signing a defender or two soon. There's no way they can make it through the fall season with only 6 defenders (although both Carr and Sousa are seen as options at right back).

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious but any word of trouble from the semi-recently new ownership group since the MLS announcement?

17. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's exactly how you DON'T want to start the fall season. Adventures in goalkeeping with Carrillo tonight. As if giving up the first two goals wasn't bad enough, we had to go and lose it in stoppage time. Ugh.

18. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Not surprised. I was more surprised at the 2-0 lead at HT. Aside from the forwards nobody played well. I think the Rowdies had the ball 99% of the time. How we go from beating MLS teams to losing to godawful teams like Tampa is ridiculous. Can't really blame the guys on the team if the FO will just send them off for maple syrup and poutine and the "coach" can't even bother to show up half the time.

19. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody else want to see Derby Carrillo benched after his latest performance? I'm trying not to have a knee jerk reaction, but those first 2 goals he allowed Saturday were terrible. He seemed to give up a number of rebounds and bobbled the ball a few times, too. I'm also taking into account his swing-and-miss that led to Real Salt Lake's only goal and the penalty he conceded against Colorado. I'm all for giving Eric Ati another chance. Thoughts?

20. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nasco joins Silverbacks on loan

Well, I think this answers the question I posed in my last post. Great news! Now if we can just sign a couple more defenders.

Foxinc repped this.
  21. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
  22. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very happy that Jason is back. Possibly the best coach the team has ever had.

23. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This doesn't come as much of a surprise. This was never a viable long-term option. Although, I think the decision to let Montoya go is a bit strange.

I hope Eric and Jason work well together. Eric's ability to spot talent is probably his most valuable asset, so I hope he keeps the pipeline flowing.

24. snahdog

snahdog Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Atlanta
    I wonder how player scouting will change with Smith. I didn't fancy Wynalda as a coach strong on strategy, but he did a good job identifying players, some of them very unknown. I know he will still support the team as technical director, but I wonder how receptive Smith will be to banking on players not necessarily identified by himself. Considering that Montoya was probably running practices, I can see why the team would let him go to avoid possible conflicts between him and the new coach.