Atlanta Silverbacks 2014

Discussion in 'Atlanta NASL' started by blkbrnrvr, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
  2. drummer

drummer Member

Nov 29, 1999
    Atlanta
    Interesting. Thanks for posting!

3. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Anybody going to Sunday's game?

4. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    I will be there, taking some newbies too.

blkbrnrvr repped this.
  5. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm planning on going to both games this weekend.

6. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
  7. drummer

drummer Member

Nov 29, 1999
    Atlanta

This is a link to the you tube video of Eric Wynalda's interview of Eric Wynalda. From this I learned he has sense of humor and really likes the Silverbacks.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  8. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    So what's everybody's thoughts on losing the hoops? I had hoped they'd stay around, but the new home shirt has a good, clean look.

9. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was never crazy about the hoops. I would have preferred vertical stripes or a diagonal stripe like US had.

Not real excited about this shirt. Looks like a sleeveless black t shirt over a white t shit. I can't see myself buying one. I was hoping for something I liked because I wanted a new shirt this year.

10. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    What is a 't shit'? Is that something you get in Georgia after drinking too much sweet tea? :)

msilverstein47 repped this.
  11. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    http://www.atlantasilverbacksfc.com...ethd0hzu/burgos-leads-way-in-win#.U0HlW_ldUrU

Preseason game against Carson-Newman was fun. Blair Gavin went from my "uh oh" list to being a total beast for 90 minutes. Complete 180. Burgos' first goal was world class and he was great all game. David Estrada will be on another level this season. The 2 C-N goals weren't a total surprise considering it was a bunch of trialists after Canovas came off injured.

That's it for preseason, next weekend we finally get to see the real deal again. Hopefully the injuries sustained recently won't be a huge issue.

12. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    The team waives MF Scott Rojo and D Josh Suggs. Poor Scottie, he is just so short. And Suggs makes no sense, he seemed solid and was so freaking fast. Maybe he just wanted to move on.

13. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Interesting regarding Suggs, especially given the playing time he got this past month.

14. ppn512

ppn512 New Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  15. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody want to give a crack at a lineup for the opener?

Here's mine:

-----------------Carrillo
    --Espinoza--Reiss--Navarro--Randolph
    -----------------Gavin
    ----Sandoval----Paulini----Cruz
    -----------Poku-----McCaulay

If Carr were healthy, I would swap him in for Sandoval. Thoughts?

16. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    That's probably pretty close to what we'll see, though Burgos may push to start as well. I'm just ready to see McCaulay and Poku against some NASL competition. I have a feeling they're going to surprise some people around the league.

17. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Paulini was injured last weekend, hopefully he's better now. Considering Burgos' performance last Sunday I wouldn't be surprised to see him in there either way.

18. terminuslegion

terminuslegion New Member

Apr 9, 2014
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I remembered the first time I saw Poku playing for the Revolution, he really stood out and was by far the best player on their team (I also think he outshined most Silverbacks players in the game).

I'm glad he's moved up and is getting his chance at the professional level. I wouldn't be surprised if he moved up another level.

19. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the team did a real good job pissing off a lot of fans today. New gameday policies were announced. Nothing that isn't in effect in other stadiums or sports, but still most don't like it when changes are forced upon them.

No re-entry, yes they have allowed this which most don't. I liked to be able to use the bathroom during pregame tailgates, or to run out to the car for rain gear when the weather turns. We are trying to get the team to give us some help on the first matter, for the rain gear I guess I'll have to take it in with me.

That leads us to item number two. No bags, except ladies purses and baby bags. All subject to search. So far I think only the No Fun League (NFL) has this policy. This is for our own security. I really think this is to crack down on those bringing in a few snacks or beverages. That is the third thing, you will buy all those things from the park. Most sports except NASCAR have this rule so whatever, search my bag (the one you gave me as a season ticket holder this year). It's just rain gear and a cowbell.

The final thing is you can pay for parking in advance over the interweb. That is a good move since other wise the parking attendants might be holdup targets with all the cash they have at $10 a car.

I guess all these changes are to prepare us for the MLS. I'm sure I can stand all this fun. I might have to look for something else to do on Saturday nights.

20. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Is the last post sarcasm or real?

Serious.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, how you feel about surgery, it seems like I may have found you a loophole.

22. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    At least I understand the bag thing, they want to maximize their profits. I mean we've all taken stuff into the park. It doesn't help the prices for the food and stuff keep going up and up all the time so I buy less and less, though.

But the re-entry thing just seems pointless. Did they really have that many people sneaking in without tickets? Why not implement a stamp on the hand process? I think this bothers me more than the bag thing as it just seems arbitrary.

RE: parking, I don't understand why they don't have a shuttle to pick people up from MARTA. It would save a ton of parking they won't be getting anyway because there are like 5 spots anyway. Unless they're going to build a parking high rise it's never going to get any better.

I'm sure some of this was "OMG MLS is coming we need to step up our game" and treating people more like customers than fans. But isn't the team trying to grow and become more legit what we wanted anyway? Even if we don't agree with everything? Some of the outrage on FB seems like initial "I hate change" overreaction (which I get).

I'm not going to stop going personally, but I do see why people on the fence about going would decide otherwise as it seems like a hassle now.

23. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Wow, you guys are harsh.

This stuff is just part amd parcel of what I've dealt with from college games, to pro, and even some high schools.

24. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    More and more places are putting in policies like this, and while I understand your opinion the team is trying to maximize their revenue and minimize liability. The NHL games I go to also do a full pattdown/search, as well as the local waterslides and summer fairs.

There's still ways around certain things though :;)

https://www.papabert.com/BeerBelly/Papa-Bert-The-BeerBelly.asp

25. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Exactly, I just wanted to see how you guys were responding to the announcement, but I'm actually incredibly surprised by the responses about the policies....ones that I see, and have seen around the country for quite some time now.