Atlanta named expansion franchise for 2010

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by Reignking, Aug 11, 2008.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Nine hours is roadtrip-able? o_O Okay, I'm in a supporter's group, so I know I'm crazy, but that seems a bit much still....
    :rolleyes:

2. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weak sauce. The longer road trips are when the real fun happens!

3. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I don't know if 'pry' is the right word - watching WF fall all over themselves trying to hand her over may be more like it. In any event, I'm sure she'll be left unprotected in the expansion draft if anyone wants her.

Also, can someone tell me the point of a women-specific soccer stadium? Men and women play on the same size field with the same lines and same size goals - how do you make it women-specific, put only toilets with unraisable seats and no urinals in the locker rooms?

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    From the photo I saw on the WPS sight, Fitz Johnson is African American. Now although that should not matter, but I have to say I am extremely pleased to see a black owner in the WPS.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  6. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was at our unveiling, really nice guy.

7. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Noooooooooooooo.

Noooooooooooooo.

She needs to quit. She needed to quit prior to the first WPS season. And she damn sure needs to quit before the second. Any coach that even remotely gives Scurry the starting position on the Beat should be fired before the first match due to serious mental deficiencies and replaced by something slightly less blind, like a bat. Or a mole. Because even they can see she is done and has been for some time. Why she doesn't see this, I'll never know.

I loved her to death when she played for us the first time and always will. And thankfully I will be able to remember her as a great keeper. But I want those memories in my head, not on the field digging balls out of the back of the net.

PS: Noooooooooooooooo.

8. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it might be shared -- however that would be -- but they did say women's soccer specific.

I'm no huge women's soccer fan, but I live in Atlanta, and I love soccer. I'll support it. The AJC even has a story on the front page on the web site today.

9. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't buy the idea that the structure is "women's soccer specific". Maybe that's just an embellishment that says "a women's soccer team is the only tenant right now".

But we'll see.

As far as Scurry, I do wonder why she continues to play. I wonder if it somehow has to do with Solo. But I just have no clue. Part of me kind of likes her swagger (if that's a word). That part of me makes me wonder if she'd maybe be a good asst. coach.

I just don't know.

But, I welcome the beat back. I have fond memories of them. Very fond.

But, as much as I loved Parlow, I'd be concerned if she came back.

10. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a little tongue-in-cheekism......:rolleyes:

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made a similar comment a while back. I hope to see more people of color involved in all levels of the league and in women's soccer in the USA in general. Ownership is a great step in that direction but the on-field talent needs to have more people of color, too.

DiegoRed, do irc that McGee was one of the Dallas front office people that had success with building a diverse fan support (before things went to hell down there)? I think Atlanta can be the sort of city where he can do that again.

12. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correctamundo. He was around before the Southlake fiasco. And was still around when PHP opened. He got a faboo offer from SMU in late 2007 (iirc) to be AD there, which he took. Attendance and revenues for SMU's athletic department skyrocketed under his tenure. But soccer is his passion, so I can totally see him rocking as a GM for a WPS team.

13. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    ...and that's good thing!

Maybe they can get some ideas from Monarcas Morelia which almost has same colors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Re: BEATDOWN, baby!

I hated it then, and I hate it now. One of the worst names in sports, period.

I'm glad we got a team, though.

15. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California

I feel better now... I thought the FCGold Pride was the worst name,until the Beat came up.
    Also, the logo is not the best either.. then again, speaking from the one that supports the "lioness team"

Maybe now that there are two teams with bad names and logos, we can start a competition.

In the other hand, at least I like the Pride's uniform. :D

16. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At least now you can say something like the Beat beat Sky Blue as corny as it sounds! :D

17. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    The name is pretty poor, but what were the other options when it came down to the poll? I recall Dream being one of them and that is a WNBA team somewhere to my knowledge. What were the others?

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    IIRC, the three names that made it to the final round of polling were Attack, Beat, and Storm.

19. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    That sounds right. I was thinking Dream instead of Storm...So Seattle Storm in the WNBA...

Atlanta Attack would have been quality: AA :cool:

20. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    If any of y'all are interested in a possible expansion forum (to be shared with Philly), post here:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18032231

The board is dedicated to forum requests and voting and might help speed things up, as I've made a few requests since Philly's unveiling. I also requested the possibility of just giving ATL and Philly individual team boards. Don't know if that will happen, since I don't think the MLS boards work like that, but it's a shot.

And if you don't post, don't come bitching to me when y'all don't get it. :p

21. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    As a former Beat season ticket holder, I am pleased that we are getting a team. However, I am disappointed that we are stuck with an expansion franchise. Good luck getting Sawa back.

22. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Attack the best because it is unique and no other pro sports team I know of has it.

They would say something like "The Attack overwhelmed the Red Stars".

I know some people don't like it but no name is perfect.

23. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I know 'Beat' wasn't the best name back then (or now), but it's still very familiar to a lot of soccer people in Georgia, especially in ATL. Especially since we don't have a men's team to partner up with, like with Philly. Beat=women's soccer.

24. PasionPorElTri

PasionPorElTri New Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Guadalajara, Mexico
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    IM a fan of the Beat! Lets do it and BEAT those other teams

25. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club: