News: Atlanta Mentioned as Potential '11 Expansion Candidate

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by eric515, Jul 24, 2008.

1. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I'm guessing St. Louis and either Montreal or Vancouver, or New York, if Wilpon gets his stuff together and puts in a bid. According to the article I read in the AJC, ATL wouldn't be ready until 2012 (at least the stadium wouldn't be).

3. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    He said Atlanta during the ASG too.

4. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Garber announces expansion to Atlanta and Vancouver at MLS Cup 2008.

Then they'll reveal what Jacoby has really been developing in Hapeville :D

5. ArsenalACE

ArsenalACE Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Rome, GA
    As far as a stadium is concerned, the Gwinnett Braves broke ground on their stadium a few months back and will be playing in it next season. I know this is a minor league team but it will be similar capacity to a potential MLS stadium. If the right people get involved it could happen.

6. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't good news. It seems that the competition has really heated up from Canada. St Louis, despite not having $$$, seems to be the odds-on favorite, but money talks. Maybe the time for the Atlanta version of the Sons of Ben is more necessary than ever.

7. mls2atl

mls2atl Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is time when we should all start to band together and get a supporters group started up so we can show MLS that we are worth expanding too and not just because we are a top 10 media market!

8. SonicDeathMonkey

Atlanta United
    Jun 24, 2008
    Conyers, Ga.
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've thought all along that Garber is using the Canadian cities as a way to make the other US cities step up. I just don't see MLS choosing a second Canadian team, at least anytime soon. Thats why I hope Sir Arthur gets his behind in gear on this thing. Garber has stated several times that the league wants a presence below DC, and with Atlanta's location, Latino population, and media, those are all big pluses. My biggest hope: A downtown stadium location....no suburbs, pleeease.

9. reedinthewind

reedinthewind Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    DC United
    Yess! this is as close as we have been so far! If it's not now, its never. MLS2ATL, give us a situation report. Is the newsletter on hiatus? Is the website rekindled?

Can we find a better name than Atlanta Olympic or Atlanta Locomotive!? T H E Y H A V E A L R E A D Y B E E N D O N E B E F O R E .

We all know that I have been a staunch supporter of 'Atlanta Firebirds'. My primary argument has been: "The coolest thing that the league would actually do", however I see good in the league and they may do better.

Whatever the name, the fan club etc. we need to get our feces coagulated post haste.

10. reedinthewind

reedinthewind Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    DC United
    That terrible response is a result of mead. lots and lots of mead.

ugh...yes, this is exciting

11. SonicDeathMonkey

Atlanta United
    Jun 24, 2008
    Conyers, Ga.
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmmm.....What does Andy Mead have to do with your post? :p

12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  13. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Member

Nov 30, 2004
    GA Boy in DC
    Look, guys. All the talk is great but it is going to take someone to suck it up and start this damn thing. We've been talking about doing it for 4 years. I was trying to get something off the ground, but my partner bailed and then I moved to DC. Just do it already and people will follow.

Don't worry about quibbling over a name because, in case you haven't noticed, these freaking polls are getting us nowhere. Start a website with a generic name, find some writers (I'll volunteer), sign up members, and then let the ones that are actually contributing to the group decide on its direction. Wake me up when someone else steps up.

14. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Um....no.

Gwinnett is too far for most people.

15. mls2atl

mls2atl Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope the stadium is inside the perimeter and as close to downtown as possible
    every day i drive by that abandoned home depot in buckhead and just imagine that it the future home of our stadium! i hope its not just a pipe dream cuz it just seems TOO perfect of a place for a stadium (not for selfish reasons, well kinda!)

16. SonicDeathMonkey

Atlanta United
    Jun 24, 2008
    Conyers, Ga.
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God i hope we get it...honestly, i think the main teams we are going against are St. Louis, Vancouver, and possibly Montreal.

19. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    We won't get it.

I think they are going to wait two years after the last expansion. Then after that, they will see if they can expand.

20. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ]

oh that area near lindbergh// way too smal loolo Parking can be a issue plus city of atlanta probably would site it cause it wont make any money like the area near the old home depot??

21. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    start with the media for one, and attending more silver backs game two... more of that you might get a mention on 790 the zone

22. MPoole

MPoole Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to take the Arthur Blank group at their word and that is that an announcement is not planned for a few months and that a new team would not be ready until 2012 (not the next group, but not bad either).

Now a new little tidbit that is pure coincidence, but...

Arthur Blank's group said an announcement would not be ready for a few months. In the Atlanta Business Chronicle this week they said that GM is going to announce the winning bid for the plant property at 285 and 85 near Buford Hwy in either Oct. or Nov. That puts everything exactly as stated, and when you factor in tearing down the plant... the stadium not being ready until 2012 is not unreasonable.

23. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure that Herndon can be used as a temporary stadium, while a real one gets built. SJ is doing the same thing...as is KC...

24. MPoole

MPoole Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, I won't argue the fact that it could happen. Especially since the quote from Sullivan said that a stadium would not be ready until 2012, not a team would not be ready. However, were I Garber I would want the stadium to be ready day one.

25. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone does, but they bent that "rule" when they had to.