Atlanta Beat stadium discussion

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by Reignking, Jul 7, 2009.

1. kbritt1967

kbritt1967 Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've a;ready gotten our tickets! Can't wait, though I still say that the drive to Kennesaw will be quite a stretch for most soccer-lovin' folk in the metro-ATL area. Even with no traffic, it's a good 45 mins. from Decatur. Maybe they'll have a "Party Bus" leaving from one of the MARTA stations.

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: Atlanta finally announced the stadium

This is awesome. I love Atlanta. Back in my college days when I lived in South Carolina, I would go to Atlanta to watch Dale Murphy, Glen Hubbard, and the rest of the Braves at old Fulton County stadium.

With their own new women's soccer specific stadium, Atlanta can be the front runner in the WPS, organization-wise.

I will definately have to make a trip from Chicago to Atlanta when the Beat plays the Red Stars.

3. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

Threads merged.

The announcement *did* actually warrant a new thread, but, well ... Since the discussion somehow managed to go across two threads, here we are.

4. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

http://web.kennesaw.edu/news/category/tags/soccer-stadium

It looks like they have been building other things around it as part of a bigger complex, so I imagine the stadium part won't be too horrible. They'll already have septic/water, land cleared, etc. Or so I assume anyway.

Besides, the Courage did this in 2002 with SAS stadium. IIRC, the first couple matches were away games, and the team practiced at Peace College until the stadium was complete. (I think. It's been a while.)

I really don't think it will be that far delayed. But if it is, I can only imagine they'd go to a college and use their field for a couple of matches.

It's not all that horrible, but it is a little out of the way. I don't think MARTA goes anywhere near there, so that's out. Since I'd be coming from south of ATL, it adds an additional 40 minutes (one-way) to my drive time. Assuming traffic behaves.

Welcome to Georgia. :p They'll roast no matter what. One side will be kinda shady, the other one will suck greatly come July. Of course, ATL doesn't get quite as hot as down here, so the city folk can suck it up. :D

ETA: I also hope that they schedule a couple of night games. My days of sitting in the southern sun for hours on end are pretty much over.

5. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is on the more southern side of Kennesaw and looks to be relatively easily accessible from both I-75 and I-575. From the middle of downtown it is probably about 20-25 minutes without much traffic and about 10 minutes up 75 from the 285 loop.

Also on the marta thing, it doesn't come anywhere near Kennesaw. I live in Smyrna and using marta to go downtown we either have to go over to Dunwoody or down to Lindbergh and park there and ride marta.

6. Charbs21

Charbs21 New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Northern Hemisphere
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is another article on the new stadium: http://equalizersoccer.com/WebPages/news/newsDetails.aspx?nId=4ec525fb-a22d-42a2-bf2b-42bf65b5a59f

One interesting piece of information in the article is that Atlanta is currently 2nd in total number of season tickets sold, which is an impressive accomplishment.

I completely understand concerns about the commute because I have to travel 45 minutes to get to the Freedom games - the Plex is about 30 miles from downtown Washington DC, but since most games were on the weekend the travel time wasn't too bad.

I am looking forward to coming down to catch a game this summer - it will be a good excuse for me to visit my cousins in Marietta!

7. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    Charbs, I agree that the number of tickets sold by Atlanta is not only a great sign, but very surprising. Up until now, I had not heard anything of their ticket sales and because of that, was unsure of how well things were going. I think this stadium announcement will only boost that even more. If I lived in Atlanta, I don't care how far out of downtown this stadium is. I would be there every game. I might even make the trip down from NY just for the inaugural game I am so impressed.

I think one key point that also came out is that Rossetti is in charge of the stadium's design, which means you know that it will be done right. They are the kings of building soccer stadiums....seriously. Great news for the league and Atlanta.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the info and the link. Good to know that they aren't trying to start from scratch and complete the project in 4 months. That was my biggest concern with the announcement. That the stadium just wouldn't be finished in time. Now I can just worry about the same things for Atlanta that I worry about for the rest of the league: sponsorship sales, ticket sales, marketing, general survival.

The possibility of making some money from concerts (ie that stage) is an intriguing move for an alternative revenue stream for a women's team. There are MLS teams that make money from the other events held in their stadium. I don't know much about the concert circuit in ATL to know if this stadium can fit a niche there.

How often does traffic behave around ATL ;)

Evening games in July/August would be good. Even with some afternoon games, I think that if they sold drinks for less than what one normally expects in a stadium (ie not $6 for a coke) they'd sell more concessions in the summer. That and the general psychological fan good will of "hey, these are reasonable prices for drinks. These games really are affordable. I'll come back." But I'm kinda a cheapskate and I really hate it when I feel like teams/events are gouging fans for beverages regardless of the ticket prices.

9. crog1967

crog1967 Member

May 5, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stadium's proximity to the interstate will make the trip a little quicker. Probably 40 minutes from downtown if traffic is moving. The mock-up looks great, and I am thrilled to hear about the healthy season ticket sales. I've got my tickets and can't wait until Spring!

10. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ATL Beat GM

ATL Beat GM New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Hello All,

This is Shawn McGee, the GM of the Beat. I wanted to jump on and introduce myself.

I will try to pop on the board every so often and share with you our vision and answer any of your questions....so fire away. I will try to answer anything that I can. And, if it takes me some time (I am not good at this whole social media thing), you can always email me at smcgee@theatlantabeat.com. I always have time for some soccer chat.

Please know that we are working hard every day to make this franchise the Best In The World. I know that may sound odd, but this league is the best in the world and we are working hard every day to be the best organization in the league. We have tons of work to do, but have accomplished a lot in a short amount of time. Stay with us for many more announcements...including players, sponsorships, promotions, etc...

Also, you can always follow me on twitter at ATLBeatGM (I think...).

Oh yeah, and I would have done this on a new thread, but apparently, BS would not let me (guess I am a newbie, so was not allowed)....maybe the hall monitor can help me out with that...

Lastly, I will apologize now for my poor typing skills. Please forgive all of my future mistakes.

Hey, we truly appreciate your support...and we truly need it...not only in buying tickets and cheering the team on, but also in spreading the gospel out there for us in cyberspace. Keep the Beat loud out there.

It is going to be fun ride!

Thanks and Go Beat!

12. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the forum Shawn, I'm looking forward to your insights here from time to time.

13. ATL Beat GM

ATL Beat GM New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Thanks. Look froward to getting to know everyone and to share with you all the goings-on at the Beat.

Any idea on who the moderator is? And how I can start a new thread?

14. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you need to reach 10 posts to be able to start a thread.

On the previous page, you'll see the moderator "Bonnie Lass"; write her and see if she can help.

Welcome -- I'm happy to see pro soccer in Atlanta.

15. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Hi Shawn!

I've sent a message to the people above me that can help with that. Chances are, by the time they get around to replying and checking on a solution, you should be able to post new threads. :) I'm not sure about the specific length of time and/or posts you need, but I don't think it's more than a couple days.

Sorry about the wait. BigSoccer implemented this in order to make it harder for people to SPAM.

16. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    UPDATE:

I've been told you should be in the clear now, just based on your posting and time that you joined. But if not, let me know.

17. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Hi,

Are you guys going to put on a big advertising blitz before the season starts? I know the previous team had backing from a major communications company in this town and a lot of their advertising may have been free, but it would be good to know about schedules, game times, and that sort of thing. I live fairly close to KSU, and plan to come out to a few games.

Welcome aboard! :)

18. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Whoever wrote this article has evidently never, ever, been to Silverbacks Park. It has nowhere near 15,000 seats (3-4000 at the moment)! The 15,000 seats was part of an expansion plan that was to happen over time, and hasn't happened yet. KSU is twice as big as Silverbacks Park.

19. ATL Beat GM

ATL Beat GM New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Bonnie Lass, thanks for getting me squared away. No worries. I totaly understand why they would like to keep the likes of me off here... :) Also, I will take your lead on if I should make this a new thread, but will post it here...if you wish to move it to a new thread, please feel free.

Thanks to all of you who have emailed me personally. I apprecaite the kind words and the welcomes. Like I said, I am always up for some soccer chat.

To answer DavidP's question...the fact is that we are on a VERY lean budget this year. With the costs of building a stadium (in partnership with our great friends at KSU) and putting a team together, we are truly going to be light on marketing this year. Our efforts will be mostly grassroots. We will have 1-2 Street Teams that are, in fact, already hitting soccer fields accross north GA. We will continue to attend soccer tournaments, camps, league games...and various community events. We felt that with our limited budget this year, it is best for us to go grassroots and try to sell people one-on-one.

I am a marketing major and I know that you marketing types are shaking your heads, but the fact is that we can only stretch our dollars so far..and we believe that true touches to the consumer is better for us at this time...as opposed to mass makering and advertising (again based on the budget we have to spend).

I can tell you that we are working on some partnerships with various newspapers, radio stations and TV stations. This will, hopefully, allow us to get some pub and some spots to market our brand, our tickets and our stadium. Hopefully, we will have some announcements on that front in January or February.

In addition, we will work with our coporate partners to take our brand and message to market via relationships they have with retail outlets, like grocery and/or convenience stores.

Also, we are getting some traction in the social media realm. Our press releases are getting picked up all over the place...which is helping us get some recognition. Hopefully, that will continue to grow.

Lastly, I know that many people have stated that it looks like we have not been active on the player front. There is nothing further from the truth. We have been VERY active. In fact, our roster is getting full. However, we are choosing to take our time in terms of making player announcments. There will be some released in very short order. However, we are working to ensure our announcements are strategically placed, so that we can remain in the news/get in the news as much as possible.

Again, I apologize for my poor typing... Have a great night.

20. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Thanks for posting shawn, it's good to know what your up to. If you can answer this, then please do. Have any internationals been signed? If you can't release names yet of them, could you just answer yes or no, or if you can't even do that then that's fine. Good luck in 2010!

21. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Well, I guess you have to do with what you have. Just don't take the Silverbacks' route of doing nothing. A little can go a long way.

Best of luck to you! :)

22. ATL Beat GM

ATL Beat GM New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    DavidP, thanks for understanding our position and our vision on the marketing aspect. We promise to work hard every day to get the team and the brand out there in the community.

Freekicks, as you probably know, we have the rights to the following players: Bachmann, Rasmussen, Sjogran, Yamaguchi, OCampo and Goncalves. We are in communication with them to begin working on getting them over here, as well as to work on contracts.

While we have their rights, nothing is finalized yet in regards to contracts. Also, so that you know, we do not make announcements until the ink is dry on the paper. We anticipate being able to make some annoucnements soon. Stay tuned.

23. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shawn, thanks for your honesty with regards to the budget, too; some may have unrealistic expectations.

Keep bugging the AJC! It kills me that they don't even have a soccer section online, although they do cover it occasionally. They had a very lengthy article on local Clint Mathis on the Sunday that he played in the MLS Cup final.

24. ATL Beat GM

ATL Beat GM New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Reignking - we are speaking to the AJC and hope to create a mutually beneficial partnership. We will see....

25. Crazy Old Lady

Crazy Old Lady New Member

May 22, 2003
    just outside Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Have you also included local Fox Channel as Fox, I think, broadcasted a weekly WPS game last season?