Atlanta Beat 2004 - rumors and hopes [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Poachin_Goalz, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    This is the thread to post any rumors and facts about the Atlanta Beat and WUSA for 2004. Hopefully there will be some sort of season. Tom Stone was announcing at the UGA vs UT game in Athens and I said hello. He seemed to be hopeful that their would be a 2004 season. I don't know if WUSA will be able to keep their foreign players if the season is scaled back to only a few games. Sawa and Pohlers might be gone. You would think that the Canadians might still play though.

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    There is a thread in the Freedom forum where a poster discovered that on TicketBastard, there is a listing for a six game series for 'em.

Don't know how much I would read into that. Although with being on BigSoccer...I'm sure someone is gonna try to pull something out of their arse to explain this. :rolleyes:

Also...if 2004 was to happen, the Breakers will be without the services of Pia Sundhage, who recently took the head coaching job for Kolbotn over in Norway. The way I look at that...she was just securing her future and didn't want to wait around the next couple of months to see if the league was gonna be around or not.

3. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    Just to update this thread.... Nada. I've heard or read nothing, and found nothing on the web. I'm still in mouring.

4. fanofall

fanofall New Member

Jul 12, 2001
    Quebec, Canada
    Don't be in mourning Dr. Mike because your resistance will go down and you won't be able to help everyone cope with the latest flu epidemic.

5. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with the doc. I am mourning, flu, sars, shingles, or nothing. I'm very very curious what good ol' Cindy's been up to these days.

I am happy, however, that my current hometown, Pittsburgh, is getting a WPSL team. It's not the same, but it's something.

Hang in there, P-Lo. I support you whatever you wind up doing.

6. Dread_I

Dread_I New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    USA Today on 12/10

This article is from the USA Today web site on 12/10:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/wusa/2003-12-09-wusa-return_x.htm

Also heard from a friend who was involved that Atlanta is a probable venue for some of the games in 2004. The Beat was reportedly paying very little to rent the Morris Brown stadium.

7. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    I don't know any of the players personally. Do any of you know any Beat players and have you talked to them to see who is interested in taking part in this league revival. I imagine the team will look very different.

8. Dread_I

Dread_I New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    The twins are the only ones with which I am acquainted, but I don't know them well enough to call and ask how things are going. I haven't seen either of them since the league folded.

9. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    Players called into USWNT camp

GOALKEEPERS
    Jenni Branam (San Diego Spirit)
    Briana Scurry (Atlanta Beat)
    Kristen Luckenbill (Carolina Courage)
    Siri Mullinix (Washington Freedom)

DEFENDERS
    Kylie Bivens (Atlanta Beat)
    Brandi Chastain (San Jose CyberRays)
    Joy Fawcett (San Diego Spirit)
    Kate Markgraf (Boston Breakers)
    Heather Mitts (Philadelphia Charge)
    Amy LePeilbet (Arizona State University)
    Christie Rampone (New York Power)
    Catherine Reddick (University of North Carolina)

MIDFIELDERS
    Shannon Boxx (New York Power)
    Lori Chalupny (University of North Carolina)
    Julie Foudy (San Diego Spirit)
    Angela Hucles (San Diego Spirit)
    Kristine Lilly (Boston Breakers)
    Leslie Osborne (Santa Clara University)
    Tiffany Roberts (Carolina Courage)
    Lindsay Tarpley (University of North Carolina)
    Stacey Tullock (Philadelphia Charge)
    Aly Wagner (Boston Breakers)

FORWARDS
    Mia Hamm (Washington Freedom)
    Shannon MacMillan (San Diego Spirit)
    Heather O'Reilly (University of North Carolina)
    Cindy Parlow (Atlanta Beat)
    Abby Wambach (Washington Freedom)

Three former Beat players got the call. I think Nikki and Nancy deserve some consideration as well.

10. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    From the latest Soccer America Women's Soccer Insider newsletter:

11. ansonfan

ansonfan New Member

Dec 26, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Just saw a post on another thread that Nancy and Julie have indeed signed with Potsdam of the FBL. There they will rejoin Beat teammate Connie Pohlers.

12. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    I'm glad to hear that at least a few of the Beat will be continueing their playing careers besides the founders and USWNT regulars. Hopefully the twins will work there way into the national team.

13. soccerfan07

soccerfan07 New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    hey ansonfan, can u post a link to where it says the augustyniaks have signed with potsdam?
    it would be greatly appreciated

14. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  15. soccerfan07

soccerfan07 New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    thanks for the link, FearM9

16. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    WOMEN'S SOCCER INSIDER
    By Scott French
    Senior Editor
    Soccer America

1. OVERSEAS: The first wave of American WUSA players, seeking new clubs in the league's absence this year, are starting to finalize deals with European clubs.

Atlanta Beat twins Nancy and Julie Augustyniak have agreed to terms but not yet signed contracts with Frauen-Bundesliga leader Turbine Potsdam, the home club of their Beat teammate Conny Pohlers.

Europe was in the Augustyniaks' plans until the WUSA beckoned, so when the league went kaput, they began mulling their options. Julie Augustyniak, an outside back who made great strides with the Beat last year, was a German minor at Clemson University. She visited Pohlers in Potsdam last October and trained with the club.

"I've seen the playing situation, know what the town is like, what the teammates are like, all that stuff ...," Julie Augustyniak said. "As of right now, we have not signed a contract, but we've pretty much moved out of our apartment. We've done everything possible we could do to make the transition a lot quicker. If they need us next week, we can have everything moved out so we can leave."

Julie Augustyniak called Potsdam "the cutest town" and says she's most looking forward to becoming fluent in German, a language in which she is somewhat conversational.

"I'm not just going for the soccer," she said. "I'm going for the overall experience of another country, to experience another culture, to play soccer. I couldn't imagine not going. It's so perfect for me."

Nancy Augustyniak, who studied French, said she was "going over there to develop as a player and improve for next season." Her fiance, tennis pro Josh Goffi (whom she met at Clemson), will make Germany his home base while she is playing there. They are planning a September 2005 wedding.

The competition and professionalism is greater in Europe, where the German and Swedish leagues are considered the strongest outfits.

"Everybody in the German [national team] player pool is in the [German] league," said Atlanta Beat coach Tom Stone. "I think I told the girls -- I went overseas [to scout matches] last year -- there's no comparison from their league to ours in terms of fanfare. They don't have the crowds, the media, the stadiums ... but it's equal in terms of professionalism, commitment to winning, training regimens, the intensity of the games. It'll be great for Nancy and Julie."

Several other players are expected to try to join the exodus to Europe this year, and it will be interesting to see how the EU laws impact them. The Augustyniaks have been told their visas and work permits will automatically be approved when they sign their contracts.

17. Dread_I

Dread_I New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
  18. ansonfan

ansonfan New Member

Dec 26, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    This is pretty good news. If one is held at the home of the Courage in Cary, I will definately be there. I can't wait to renew my season ticket.

"Hope springs eternal..."

19. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    http://www.georgiaforce.com/staff/front office/eddie rockwell.asp

Heck...that's probably a more secure gig than working in the WUSA....

20. melbrown

melbrown New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Ran into Marci Miller today at a friendlies tournament that our soccer association was hosting. She is coaching/assistant coaching an AFC Lightning team. Spoke to her briefly and she mentioned the WUSA festivals coming up this summer and thanked us for coming over to say hello.

BTW, my daughter's team lost to the team she was working with 2-0.

21. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  22. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
  23. 6thMan

6thMan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Where is Kylie these days? Why isn't she in Costa Rica with the NT? Has anyone heard of her signing with a team overseas? Is she still in Atlanta?

24. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    I haven't heard any new news about Kylie. I hope that she isn't hurt. I think that the situation is that right back is the one position where the USWNT is loaded. I would say that Pearce (forgot her married name) is the definite starter and Bivens and Mitts are both capable backups. I like both players (unless I am in an argument with YOMITTS. :D ). Bivens is probably more versatile but Mitts is the next face of the USWNT. I don't expect to see much of Kylie until after the Olympics if/when Foudy leaves. Kylie could then compete for the RB spot as well as the right mid spot with Mac and Roberts. I don't want this turned into an anti-Foudy/veteran thread so I will just leave it at that. I do think that Kylie and Nancy Augustyniak both deserve a shot at making the USWNT. Maybe both twins will make it considering that they are playing in Germany.

25. 6thMan

6thMan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Well it seems to me that Kylie is the perfect type of player to be on this Olympic squad since she plays so many positions and they can only take 20 players. And besides, Foudy can only go 45 anyway.