Atlanta #1 Pick

Discussion in 'Atlanta Beat' started by newsouth, Dec 8, 2011.

1. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Who is Fitz going to take?

1 Bianca Henninger Goalkeeper Santa Clara - Cheaper than going after one of the top 5 in the WPS and they need a keeper if anything.

2 Sydney Leroux Forward UCLA - Haven't heard anything from her since her Soph year, but she's a NTer for whatever that is worth.

3 Melissa Henderson Forward Notre Dame - A bit chunky, so professional fitness might be an issue but has a nose for framing her shots.

------------------------------

Some brought to my attention they should pick up Casey Nogueira and pair her and Press. Could be a better pairing than A-Rod and Kai if Nogueira shoulders her head and plays to her Big Right Foot, 10 Goal potential.

-----------------------------

Any thoughts on Atlanta?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJyc1SH1e90"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJyc1SH1e90[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=153zWqYouXU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=153zWqYouXU[/ame]

2. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Galanis has said they need a #1 goalkeeper, so I don't see them not taking Henninger with the first pick.

They also have the #3 overall pick, which I'm assuming they'd take whichever of Henderson/Leroux is left.

I like Nogueira, but she needs the right coach and environment to keep her motivated. Not sure if Galanis is the man to make that happen.

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    newsouth, Melissa Henderson, a bit chunky? When was the last time you've seen her play? Last year, if at all? She lost a LOT of weight over last summer. In fact my first reaction when I saw her the first time this year was man, she lost too much weight.

I have a question for you, do you like to post random stuff without researching first?

You don't want to read the details on DB and MJ that was provided and then you post uninformed posts that make you look foolish.

http://www.und.com/sports/w-soccer/nd-w-soccer-body.html
    Go where it says NCAA MATINEE.

Does this photo look like she is "chunky"? Even last year she wasn't "chunky".

Man, you're making yourself look stupid by posting uninformed stuff.

4. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    :confused:

First, just from observation, i can say alot of users on the WPS threads are pretty old, probably pushing 50s and 60s where as I'm early 30s along with a couple of 20-somethings, so no, I don't spend my whole day and life tracking all of these girls or the wps, go to the restaurants they have team dinners like some on here and read 800 pages of legal paperwork. the last time i saw henderson was last season and she was chucky. sorry, i've been too busy keeping track LSU and their national championship run to track women's college soccer. plus, rivals and other services provide that information for me.

so, of course, i won't be the most informed person on the board, but i'm not trying to be. i enjoy having some fun and posting. if i'm on, then all is good. if i'm off, then God help me.

i'm pretty informed about foz and santos. and i can tell you the name of salgueiro's theme songs for past carnivals. :D

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No problem. Sorry, didn't really mean to come across that harsh.

6. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Early 40's - thank you... not trying to be the most informed here... some of us have a passion for several reasons.... Kids, friends, whatever... we are here for fun and serious discussion... can't discuss WITHOUT reading and getting BASIC knowledge

Otherwise you are just looking for an argument.... this is abuse, argument is 2 doors down the hall

BTW... I think he trades the pick and someone gets a top Striker.. waits for the lower pick to take a GK - no other team really needs one

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If they were smart they would pick Sarah Hagen as their first. She would fit well with Press up front. She is tall, outjumps everyone, has one of the hardest shots I've ever seen in the women's game and holds the ball well. Press can play off of Hagen all day in combinations and would have someone on the recieving end on crosses.

8. StevieBeat

StevieBeat Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    With a literal embarrassment of top strikers coming through (let's not forget Taylor, Ochs -- hmm, Ochs and Press sounds tempting now, Heyboer, Foxhoven, Grimsley... most of whom will be on the outside looking in with so few spots available), I wouldn't mind seeing us wait till the next round for the frontline and scooping up Noyola first (yeah, call me crazy, but I'm now equally as worried about our midfield since we at least have Press up top), taking Henninger #3, and picking from the forwards still left in the 2nd round. I'm still luke warm on Leroux and I definitely agree with MRAD12 that Hagen is probably the best compliment for Press (and could be the last of the Big 3 to be taken). We just need to get someone of Noyola's quality (or Wells) to run the midfield (cause Llord knows Lloyd can't do it). I also think we should seriously consider the Chalupny-like versatility of Cami Levin, considering Capt Kangaroo's penchant for shuffling lineups. Maybe we could become the East Coast Cardinal.

Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?

9. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    If WPS is being consistent with rules (I know, right?), Noyola can sign with whoever she pleases. AKA the Sophie Schmidt rule.

10. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For you 5 minutes..... for another person who commented on the thread, we'll need the full half hour

11. StevieBeat

StevieBeat Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah, I got too excited and overlooked that.

WPS article on Top Ten Draft Picks

Interesting that Pressley is apparently still highly-rated. Seemed she got fairly well exposed at the Cup and if you don't have the wheels for college, then how's that going to work in WPS? Definitely an imposing figure in the back, though, and decent coming forward.

Galanis has said he's looking to take a top forward in the draft (didn't he say that last year?) and needs a No. 1 GK as already mentioned, so it seems like Henninger and Hagen fit this bill best (in whichever order, some of this draft order stuff gets a little too hyped). Still thinking about that Ochs + Press tandem......

12. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget that Noyola is also an American citizen, which Schmidt is not. That very likely alters the WPS draft eligibility rules. There may be other (unknown) rules regarding former US Uxx players, too.

13. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Some of that might be because media were asked for their top college players before the College Cup. I know I included Pressley (and didn't include Levin) in my top ten and would've done things differently had I been asked afterward.

14. GaDawg

GaDawg New Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw Leroux play the 2nd half vs. Guatemala, and wow did she impress!

Yeah it was against lesser competition, but still - she scored 5 goals, and very nearly had a 6th! The goals were mostly quality as well. All in just 45 minutes.

With her, Press, and O'Hara up front it looks like 2012 will be a pretty exciting season. Dare I say we top last season's goal tally in the first month? One can dream!

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on when USWNT players are able to play for the WPS clubs. Are any going to play w/ WPS in April/May prior to the Olys? I'm not so sure.

16. radiosoccer

radiosoccer New Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will all depend on the individual WPS teams and the training schedule for USWNT for the Olympics. However, having the US players be sharp by competing in league play will be a benefit to the team come London time!