Athletic Club (AC) St. Louis

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by StlSpursFan, Dec 4, 2009.

1. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Excited for Tuesday and a club name.

Also, question for the die hards, y'all interested in a team unofficial pub? I usually go to barristers but thats just cause its close and i like the intimate feel. I hear theres a good one in maplewood, and some people like the ones in the city. Anyway, someone could probably make some money by opening a specific team pub in that strip mall area across 44, that area is dead after chrysler closing, cheap rent.

2. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Re: St. Louis _________

I'll put $50 in toward it.

3. TimmyHoward

TimmyHoward Member

Jun 18, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can we be the St. Louis United? It makes since since the Metro-East is United to St. Louis by the Mississippi River.

4. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That made sense when the team was going to be located on the East Side, but I doubt that'll be what they go with on Tuesday.

5. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009

I think if they were going to go that direction, the women's team would already be StL United. Plus it would cause problems if they later move to MLS, since there's already a DC United.

6. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How about Growler's on Lindbergh, south of 44. Good beer selection & food, somewhat close to Soccer Park.

7. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

That's not really a very big problem. You can have as many "United"s as you want in a league. You think their going to start saying that they've got to many FC clubs in the league?

8. VandalPlus

VandalPlus New Member

Oct 15, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis

I hope for A.C. St. Louis. The colors will be the same as Athletica, blue, green and grey.

The logo better stay the same, they might add the name of the team to it, but overall, it better stay the same.

9. MUhooligan10

MUhooligan10 New Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

I second the idea of Growler's. It's right up 44 and just 5-10 minutes from Soccer Park as mentioned. Perfect place.

http://www.growlerspub.net/

10. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

does that one show soccer? i used to go to the one in creve sometimes, but i stopped going to the "pub", since they never played soccer

they do have amazing wings!

11. MUhooligan10

MUhooligan10 New Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

They say that they don't market themselves as a sports bar, but I'm sure if we were to talk to them, they'd certainly welcome us and show some soccer.

12. Lord_ofthe_TFC

Lord_ofthe_TFC New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

St Louis Strikers FC would be one good name..Or St Louis Americans!!

13. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009

I think they will avoid being confused with other teams. But you're right, there's no law against it or anything.

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Hmm.... my house is right by Growlers.... I'll have to stop by and ask them if they have FSC/Gol TV/etc. =-)

15. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

I really hope you're being facetious. People have talked about Strikers for Minnesota's new team, but most people agree that if anyone's gonna be saddled with a name like Strikers, it should be a city with a strong tie to the name: Ft. Lauderdale. Even then, I wouldn't wish the name on anyone. And Americans? Blech.

16. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009

I'm hoping for the St Louis Steamers.

17. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution

Who outside of the St. Louis market isn't? :)

18. Jozd

Jozd Member

Oct 18, 2009
    red rock vs blu rock

Yup I dig those orange and blue colors for a team kit but I would think

it'll be green and whatever and following the sister club name Athletica

such as AC St Louis or St Louis Athletic guess we'll find out tuesday

19. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Nah. Let the MISL be, dude. ;)

Why not St. Louis Stars FC? Go with something familiar to the St. Louis soccer crowd?

20. Needschat

Needschat Member

Nov 26, 1999

Orange and blue for the Steamers? Try cyan, navy and olive from the ORIGINAL St. Louis Steamers!

21. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Familiar for old people maybe.:D

For a lot of us, the Stars are just something from the history books.

22. jaggdd

jaggdd Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As a KC fan, I'm stoked you guys are FINALLY getting a top flight team. And I like the idea of St. Louis Athletic -- invokes thoughts of "St. Patrick's Athletic" in Ireland; and it gives a nice male version parallel to the current WPS Athletica.

I love the logo too -- and the fact that you have a ready-made academy system with Scott Gallagher; a regional powerhouse (who the Wizard Juniors beat this past week, I might add...). I assume they are somehow connected to your group since they've adopted the logo.

You've got a lot of good things going for you -- most notably that you are attached to the right league going forward (look at what's happening in Charleston and Cleveland...)

And if Tony Glavin ever winds up putting his money where his mouth is and starting up a "top-flight" team within USL (provided they're still in the top-flight business after this year); it would be a cool 3-way rivalry between KC and the two StL teams. You throw in Chicago and maybe a future Des Moines Menace top-flight team; and that could be a fun traveling bunch of rivalries (in the few inter-league matches we may see) -- especially if Missouri gets its act together on this proposed Chicago high speed rail corridor-thing.

Think of the possibilities...

23. usat522

usat522 New Member

Dec 11, 2003

I like JJ Twig's at Big Bend and Dougherty Ferry. 10 minutes away from AB Soccer Park. Owned and managed by the very likable, local soccer coaching legend, Mike Gauvain. Soccer on the screens. Pizza is fantastic. Beer is cold. Atmosphere is friendly.

24. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

JJ Twigs would be a good choice too. Not as good of a beer selection as Growler's, more AB products then anything, but good food and soccer for sure on screens.
    Growler's has a better atmosphere and better beer selection. I mapquested both and Growler's is 2 miles closer, so not that big of a difference.
    My vote is still for Growler's with JJ Twigs as a close second.

25. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

i love growlers as the choice, as long as they put soccer on! Oh well ill probably end up at barristers more often than not.

Something that I always thought would be cool, and good marketing for the team now, would be to hold a tourny composed of teams made up of soccer pub owners/workers/regulars across the area. they could make it indoor too.