Atalanta new ball Park's

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Frank Cunha, Sep 24, 2003.

1. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    All they're doing for Phase 1 is building some soccer fields. A lot of people, including myself, think they should do the stadium first. It'd get them out of the Concrete Abyss (DMS), and closer to where the fans are. This project will either make them or break them, literally. There is no in between.

2. ChuckA

ChuckA New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Re: Re: Atalanta new ball Park's

It's only like 6 miles from Memorial Dr. to Spaghetti Junction.

3. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Re: Re: Re: Atalanta new ball Park's

But you and I both know that in Atlanta, depending on the traffic, six miles may as well be a hundred.

4. ChuckA

ChuckA New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I checked it yesterday. It is actually 8 if you get off at Memorial Dr. It is closer to get off at E. Ponce and wind through the backroads. But, that is a different story.

All but one of the games I went to this year was on a Saturday. And, traffic isn't that bad at 6pm on Saturdays. So, it would make a difference of about 6-8 minutes. IMHO.

5. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I assume the stadium design will be such that it could be expanded for MLS someday?

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, at least they are doing something. It is never as fast as fans want but money and paperwork take time. I hope they pull it off. With the Rhino's new stadium, the Burn's eminent groundbreaking and the Denver announcement, Atlanta should be riding a new wave for the sport.

7. Sevin

Sevin Member

May 24, 2001
    U.S.
    Well, yes I guess we should be glad that it's something but I have a feeling the actual stadium is not happening anytime soon. This is a quote from the article on the team's web site:

"Phase One of Atlanta Silverbacks Park will consist of three regulation size soccer fields with state of the art lighting and adequate parking. Phase Two, which is still in the planning stage, will consist of a soccer specific stadium and club which will be home to the Atlanta Silverbacks Professional Soccer Club."

So, in the meantime we are still playing at DMS. Planning seems to take an awful long time around here.

8. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    is this an extremely scaled back version of the Atlanta Soccer Village or a completely different project altogether?

9. Sevin

Sevin Member

May 24, 2001
    U.S.
    Completely different project.

10. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't think so. I don't think the owners are thinking of the MLS at all. The space is 20 Acres, right up against the freeway and what looks like a residential area on the other side. I guess if they wanted to get rid of the 3 auxillery soccer fields they could put a 20-25K stadium there, but where would people park?

Here's the design and the location

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for the Backs. Caught a couple of matches this year and enjoyed them. Hopefully this will increase attendence sometime down the road.

12. ChuckA

ChuckA New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I am just happy that they are building something. And, it is a foundation for the future. At least they aren't pulling up and running.

13. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey does anyone here have any updated information regarding the stadium portion of this project (phase 2 timetable, architecture, funding, etc.)?

i seriously doubt that atlanta is pushing for an mls franchise in the near future, but i would love for them to build a blackbaud-type stadium for 5-10k people that could be expanded in the event that mls does come to town.

14. CalgaryMJ

CalgaryMJ New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Calgary
    Exposure

Anything that helps put the team (and thus the sport) in the publi'c eye is a good thing. Was in town a couple of years ago visiting a friend. Was hoping to pick up a Silverback's jersey and catch a game, but they were on the road and I was unable to locate anyone in town who new who or what the team was. Every little bit helps (and this is more then a little bit). Maybe the next time I'm i town someone at a sports store will know who the team is before they say "No, we don't have one of those."

15. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Atlanta Silverbacks Park main stadium capacity will be?

When will it be completed?

16. ChuckA

ChuckA New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    There is a couple of very nice pictures of a "to scale" model of the proposed stadium at www.backsfan.com. In the "gallery."

17. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    That's going to be one nice stadium.

18. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    someone on ussocceruk.com mentioned that it would be 5,000 (which i think is just about right for now). can anyone confirm this and/or add any specs to this project?

very cool news and a beautiful little stadium... with a roof!

19. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003