At bloody last

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Matt Clark, May 10, 2007.

1. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    That's incredibly short sighted. Even for this forum.

2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    imams are being arrested an imprisoned. The problem is that the tabloids want it done the moment anyone says anything bad, or even looks at them in a funny way, I suspect. The police, however, take the attitude that it's better to gather enough evidence to not only guarantee the charges stick, but see them sent down for a long while.

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Furthermore, if you draw your lessons from the cold war, the object of counter intelligence is to minimise the effectiveness of the opposition, not necessarily to send people down. So many times they'll leave people in play, either to turn them, or to lead to bigger fish.

Ramming everyone into jail can be quite counter productive.

4. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Not to say a fundamental betrayal of the very principles we claim to be standing up for.

An Imam should be able to advocate terror and violence in this country if he so wishes. I get really quite libertarian on issues such as this. Moreover, it is up to the rest of society to make the intellectual and moral investment in forming and articulating a more compelling alternative view of the world.

I like to think of it as an argument that is intellectually consistent with a belief in free markets. As that argument goes, if you remove restrictive barriers and legislation, then the market regulates itself by the wonders of competition. Taking that, we can then reasonably project that a society that has established for itself an ideological marketplace without legislative or regulatory distortions, will be driven to actively compete in that free competitive environment. By default and in concurrence with laws as immutable as those which govern gravity, a process will initiate by which creativity and intellectual enterpreneurship will see that competition is offered - and it is then down to the strength of competing "products" and their marketing to decide which profits handsomely and which is driven to rack and ruin.

5. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Matt, as you're being blown to bits I'm sure you'll take great comfort in the knowledge that your vision will ultimately prevail in the marketplace of ideas. Splat!

6. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The chances of me being blown to bits being as remote as they are, I have every faith that the brisk, dynamic nature of the free market will effect the required adjustments with all creative and entrepreneurial haste.

7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    we are all quivering in our boots

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/02/terror_idiocy_outbreak/

'al-Qaeda' puts on big shoes, red nose, takes custard pie

8. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It has to be said, some of the attempts at "terror" we've been exposed to in the past two weeks have been, well, not very terrifying. The guys in London were undone by the fact that the first bomb was spotted when their ancient Mercedes started smoking, the second was illegally parked and towed away. And the Glasgow effort? Arf. They've been arrested, but I actually think it's because they were caught smoking in a public place :D

We must remain vigilant, we must not be complacent, but neither must we pretend that we are about to be plunged into a thousand years of darkness.

10. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much of that is remembering that crime is best dealt with by police work; not by the launching of aggressive wars to continue to justify a military-industrial complex at Cold War levels...after the end of the Cold War!