ASU Sundevils 2006

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Drickey, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    Well it is that time of year again where soccer starts heating up in desert as the Sun Devils kick off their season. Last night I was one of a nice group that made the trip to Irvine for the first game of the year. The team did look a little rusty at time but still played very well as they had had no problem downing UC Irvine 3-0. I think the rust can do to so many new faces on the team and as the team gels together they could be in great form once the PAC-10 season starts. One of the new faces Brittany Doty had a great college debut scoring two goals. It won't be long before ASU gets their first real test when the host Dlorida State in the kicks against breast cancer torunamen that begins this Friday. First though they will have their home opener Monday against Loyla Marmount (Md.)

2. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    Monday night the team opened up their home season and erned another shutout this time by a score of 2-0. Courtney Crane scored a goal for the second straight time. If Courtney avoids injuires like the ones she has had in the past I think she will be one of the leaders of this team. The only nice thing about her injuries in the past is she got a medical redshirt and will still be able to play next year. This weekend will be a very big test for ASU as Friday night the host top ranked FSU and#27 St. Louise. Neither game will be easy I am sure Friday night will have a big crowd. Last time a top ranked team came in to town a couple years ago it was #2 Notre Dame where a record crowd saw NTRE Dame when 2-1 in a game where a controversal call was the difference. The team is going to have to cleam up a lot of little things though to win this weekend. Kim has been strong in goal though it looked as though Loyal was going to take an early lead Monday night but Kim made a great block.

3. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    Friday night showed a Sun Devil team that could surprise some people. I do not think anyone would have said ASU would defeat FSU Friday night. Which they did not do. Yet I don't think any one would expect the game to go into overtime either which it did do. It took about 40 minutes before ASU could do anything though as ASU found themselves playing defense for the most part. Yet after the first 40 minutes the next 40 found ASU applying the pressure and they could have very well have scored yet the came up short. The last 10 minutes of regulation was more of a survial than anything for ASU. This is were a line up that started five true freshmen showed its inexpereince to playing at such a fast pace. It was not long into overtime before FSU netted the only goal of the game to win. I think for all ASU fans though this game is uplifting as they might find their stride later in the season as this was a positive experience for them. It may prove to be very helpful later in the season when they prepare for UCLA and other top teams in the PAC-10 as they know what it will take to beat them. I think taking FSU to overtime will give them confiedence that they will believe they can beat the likes of a UCLA.

4. wreckedmachine redded

Aug 15, 2006
  5. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    Well I thought ASU was going to play a soccer match against St. Louise the referee had other ideas though as he would not let them play at all. It was almost like if you breathed wrong he would blow the whistle in all there were 41 fouls called and a yellow card was given to ASU when no contact at all was made. This referee really should be fired right away. I have no idea what the hell the linesmen was doing at one point right after ASU threw the ball on he put the offsides flag up and there was no call for him to make good thing the referee did not notice it that was about the best thing he did all day. Very frustrarting game though between all the whistles ASU found the back of net off a header in the box. Only to give up that lead on just a really bad read from ASU that gave St. Louise the equalizer. ASU had their chances to win this game but no one would score again. A really tough weekend for ASU with two games they played well enough to win and they did not win once. Everything right now though is a learning experience for this young team. Hopefully they are quick learners though so when the PAC-10 season starts they can put it all together.

6. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    ASU picked up two big wins in Vegas this weekend. The first game Friday gave ASU a test aginst unbeaten Denver who was coming of a win against #23 Ole Miss. Something we have seen a lot of though and just as much as we saw last year already is what happened this weekend as ASU captured there thrid and fourth shutouts. The defense and goalkeeping has been hot. Against Denver thigns were scoreless at halftime. Then soon after halftime ASU scored a goal on a nice long shot by Kezer. That would be all they needed as the defense stood strong. It was more of the same Sunday agsint UCF who defeated UNLV Friday night make this game the championship game for the Rebel Classic. The first goal came off a corner kick which is nice last year we had so many corner kicks and so few goals off of them. The second goal did not look like it would be a goal as the keeper got her entire hand on it and slowed the ball down but it still had enogh to just trickle past the goal line into the net. The goals came from two familar goal scores this year as Doty and Crane both got their thrid goals on the year. After Crane's goal gave the team a 2 goal lead the vistory was almost a sure thing the only question was would we get the shutout. With three corner kicks in the last two minutes for UCF it did not look good but a couple nice saves from Bingham and a clearing kick down field ASU hung on for the shutout victory. Handing UCF just their second lose on the year. There two wins are big and I think this young team is actually going to lead the team to better results than the vetrans the past few years tried to do. It is too bad they are not still here to share the results. It is nice to see many of them come out to the games and support them though. One thing that was really nice about Sunday's game is the ref really let them play and not blow the whistle too often. Also more of the ASU freshmen are seeing more minutes. That should pay off big when it is late in the season and we will have bench full of people who have seen lots of minutes during the year.

7. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    It seems to me ASU is either getting very little respect or just not getting noticed by many. They stand at 4-1-1 with their only lose coming in overtime for Floirda State. I will grant that the first two wins against UCI and Loyla (MD) are not going to raise many eye brows. Yet after losing to Florida State in overtime and getting a tie aginst a top 25 team like St. Louise people would start looking at them a little. In coaches poll the did receive votes so I guess a few did. Then this past week we became the first team to beat Denver and only the second team to Degeat UCF two teams that were ranked in their region and Denver was receiving votes in most top 25 polls. Yet all ASU did in the polls was receive some more votes in the coaches poll still not ranked anywhere. I am not saying they are a top 25 team by any means yet I think it is crazy they are not regionally ranked yet. Hopefully with their two games against west region teams this week they will get there with two victories this weekend. As long as they keep winning though I guess I do not care if they respect us or not though.

8. finalball

finalball New Member

Jan 17, 2006

They are an excellent team!!!! Same last year, good team, gets over looked in the polls?

9. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    I must say this has to be a disappointing weekend for the Sun Devils going 0-1-1 on the weekend. The game Sunday was very winable and I think the youth of the team showed. For the first time this season I left a game disappointed not so much that they lost just in the way they lost. Forget tha Pepperdine's lone goal was helped by a no offsides call that I think should have been called, but ASU had serval chances and the fact that they could not find the back of the net on any is disappointing. I think I really got frustrated after ASU last chace when a shot went well wide it was in the last minute of the game. Kim made some great saves to keep the Devils in the game. Hopefully next weekend when the travel to San Diego for their lone game next weekend the can come up with the W and get some momentium before they get really close to starting PAC 10 play and find out just how far they have really come as all question will be answered when they start playing the best of the best that the PAC 10 has to offer.

10. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    After a weekend that say ASU suffer their first road lose of the year, falling to San Diego 1-0 ASU looked to get back in the winning column as they concluded their non-conference schedule at home Friday against UNLV. It was not as loud as it usually was on the sideline as head coah Ray Leone was noy arguing as much as he usually does during the course of a match most likely due to the red card he got in San Diego after already receiving one yellow card for arguing. When the team lost in San Diego they seemed to have the same problems they have had before they get some chance to shot on goal but they do not finish correctly and end up just shotting and not getting the shot on goal. Against UNLV they did not get many shots as neither team did althogh ASU came through with a goal early in the second half as Coutrney Crane scored her team leading fourth goal of the year, that leads team along with Brittney Doty who also has four goals. That would end up being the only goal of the game and despite not having to make any saves as the only two shots UNLV had the entire game went wide, Kim Bingham got her fifth shutout of the year. I think the team started off hot and they now have started playing the way you may expect a young team like the Sun Devils to play hopefully though they have played enough now that they can start to raie some eyebrows in PAC-10 play. ASU will play a friendly aainst the Mexican national team today before playing host to the Oregon schools next week. With a 5-3-2 record thus far it will probably take at least five wins in the PAC-10 to earn a NCAA tournament bid. I think it is doable. The first two matches against Oregon and Oregon State are must win games as they can not afford to lose either of those matches. Then when the go on the road to Stanford and Cal the next week those are two big game. I think the game against Stanford is a winable game that would be very big for the team and against Cal it will be much tougher you never know though as this team has played their toughest gaes this year close. All three of their loses come by a scor of 1-0 so this team is a lot better than some may thing myself included in that group as I have to admit going two weeks with out a win I was down on the team I think that 2-2 ie at UC Santa Barbara just left a really sour taste in my mouth. After their trip to the pay the come home to play their last three home matches in what could be their toughest three matches of the year. All I can really say about USC and UCLA it is not going to be easy at all and you just hope that they will rise to the occassion and the home crowd can push them through to steal at least one win. They will finish their home slate October 28 in a rare Saturday night match against in state rival U of A. ASU has owned U of A never having lost to them having filed to come away with a win only once when they except Tuson with a tie a few years ago. I will be a tough end to the season when the team travels to WSU and UW as the team will have to play in an enviorment that will be much cooler than they are use to and will probablly need at least one win that weekend. Which is very doable we will just have to see how the team look as they come down the stretch.

11. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    To say this opening weekend of PAC-10 play for ASU was a disappointment would be an understatment. A weekend when many could have believed ASU would start out 2-0 in PAC-10 play they are just the oppoisite at 0-2. The offense was not there this weekend. Forget that they were robbed of what very well could have been goal Friday night when an offsides call was made that had it none been made thee would have been a break away chance for ASU to score. I could not believe when offsides was called as it was not even remotely close to being offsides. I am really getting tired of this horrible officating one night ASU will play where offically never take the whistle out off the mouth and then the next day the offical did not even need to bring his whistle. I like those that don't use their whistle more at least they let the ladies play. ASU offense though really did look weak overall they had their bright spots but they are turning over the ball much too often I would rather them see take the players on rather than kick it 20 years up field where no ASU player is near. They have to dcotr some big upsets to have a shot at the NCAA tourny now. While both OU and OSU have been hot lately you have believe that won't last long and these two loses will look very bad for ASU. I will take nothing less than five wins in their last seven matches and one of them be over UCLA to get in I don't think they can get in with five wins over say UW, WSU, U of A, Stanford and either Cal or USC. While Cal or USC would be a big upset I think they need a statement vistory over UCLA to impress the NCAA enough to get in. First things first though Santford and Cal on the road this weekend and ASU needs at least a split although a sweep would really put ASU back on track and give them some much need confiedence that they will need before they return home to play UCLA and USC.

12. Goooaaalll

Goooaaalll Member

Mar 19, 2004
    Mexico WNT vs Arizona State University Oct. 1, 2006
    Mexico 3-0 over ASU
    Enjoy the photos, Mexico played an aggressive, attacking game in my opinion. ASU stood strong but in the second half Mexico finally started putting the ball in the back of the net. --Rob Z.
    http://womenssoccer.com/images/mexico_asuOct06/

[​IMG]

13. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    Great pics I agree ASU did play well against Mexico up through the first half. Yet after that game it looked like ASU was going to have a long and tough PAC-10 season ahead after dropping their first two PAC_10 games at home aganist Oregon and Oregon State despite both Oregon school being hot those were two games they really could not afford to lose and expect to make it into the tournament espically with all four of the California school coming up next. ASU though did what they have done all year when on the road this year play strong Aginst #25 Stanford they played stron but lost 3-2 after taking a 2-1 lead after falling behind early 1-0. Yet the toughest match of the weekend would be Sunday aginst #12 Cal who had all the motivation they needed to pick up a win after playing to a 1-1 draw aganst U of A on Friday. ASU though standing at 0-3-0 in PAC-10 play needed a win to keep any hopes of seeing post season play this year had more motivation. It showed up big also with ASU picking up the 1-0 victory. ASU now has the minum .500 winning percentage needed to even be considered for getting a bid to tournament. Still though with 5 games left it is a long way from even thinking about that. Next weekend though is going to have a lot of impact on if the can get there or not with USC and UCLA coming in town. ASU has to win at least one of these game I figure it will take 5 wins in the PAC-10 to get in yet they need to try and get every win they can on this three game home stand that concludes the weekend following the games against the LA school when in state rival U of A comes into town. Because it will not be easy when ASU goes up to Washington to finish the season.

14. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Watched your team play this wkend and they were impressive against Stanford. Your goalie was incredible and you did nice job of finishing on offense. Think ASU has definite edge over UA this year as they got blasted on sunday. National rankings a bit deceiving as CAL schedule has been weak, whereas Stan played many tough schools. Good luck next wkend, your best shot is against USC who is definitely beatable. UCLA is very tough as extremely talented and great keeper.

15. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    Yes ASU strength has deinately been the defense with a great senior leader in goal. I am looking forward to this weekend. I do agree that USC is beatable. When it comes to UCLA you really have to have help from UCLA by them beating themselves. I have seen their keeper on TV before and just like she has been her last two years she is playing great. I think it should be a good battle of goal keepers. The only question is how much can ASU challenge UCLA as it will be tough. Yet earlier in the year against FSU they gave FSU all they could handle before overtime so they seem to rise to the occassioan.

16. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    This weekend for me was disappointing not so much because ASU lost to both USC and UCLA but how they did it. Against USC I think it was pretty even and USC just scored on a really nice chip shot that was placed beautiful and few goal keepers would be able to block it. Then against UCLA they were out played just about every was you can be out played. Yet being down 2-0 the team started to play excllent socer in th last 15 minutes closing the gap to 2-1 and coming within inches of tying the game why ASU did not show this intesity earlier in the game I can not understand. You know when Kim was a freshmen I will never understand why coach Leone made her the starter when PAC-10 play started and took out Kelly Fitzgerald who was a better goal keeper at the time. She could not even start before then with the injury she was coming off of. Kelly had done nothing to loose her job and the smart thing to do would have been to red shirt Kim at the start of the season. You'd think with 14 freshmen on the team that the future would look bright but next year the team is loosing so much in goal I have no idea how they will do. Kim was one of the biggest scoring threats for ASU this week your goalie should not be tht offensively productive but on free kicks from the midfield area she can get a shot on goal and not just a week one that is no trouble for the keeper to save. I hate to start thinking about next year with the three games left this season but with a 1-5 PAC-10 record you can start thinking about next year. All ASU had to do was win one match this year and have a chance to finsh 5-4 in PAC-10 which might have been enough 4-5 won't cut it.

17. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    This weekend ASU did something they seem to do every year beat U of A imprving thier record against U of A to 11-0-1. ASU won 4-0 giving Kim a shut out in her final home match at ASU. The game was never really in doubt after ASU punched one inas they dminated the game. Kim did make five saves although she did not have to make any great saves to secure the shut out. The main reason ASU was able to win this game was their improved passing game. Each goal was set up by a great pass with the exception of the final goal which was just made by a great shot that some how find the far bottom corner of the goal for ASU. U of A did help ASU on the third goal also with a failed attempt to clear the ball away from the empty netalthough that attach was strted with some good passing. While ASU would need a lot of help to make in into the tournament if they are able to go up too Washington and sweep the Washington to schools they would have a winning record that is needed to even be considered for the tournament and finsih 4-5 in the PAC-10. With the way they have played on the road this year there is a very good chane the will win their final two next weekend. If enough teams that would get an at large bid in to the tournament will end up winning their conference tournament and get their conferences automatic bid. I wish the PAC-10 would have a conference tournament it would be nice to see ASU have a chance to win a confence tournamnet at the end of the year and have control of weather or not they get in to the 64 team field to crown a champion. The PAC-10 is the only confernece that does not havea confernce tournament I think it is time they thought about it more.

18. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    ASU might have a better chance then we all think of making it to the tounament. After this past weekend's games the move the bottom of the PAC-10 up to into secenth and with all kinds of help could finish as good as fourth. For that to happen though Arizona would have to either beat or get a tie against WSU. USC would have to do not better than tying or losing to both Oregon and Oregon State this is the biggest amount of help needed. Then Stanford would have to defeat Cal. If ASU wins both their games and all that happens they would finish fourth in the PAC-10 based on past history the PAC-10 usually gets four o five teams in sometimes even as many as six in. My guess is right now they get 4 in for sure and based on how all the confernece tournament shake out they might get a fifth. What is very surprising is that ASU last week in the coaches poll recieve five points. So they are not memrely a forgotten team. Catching USC might be hard to do but if they can get help from Stanford and Arizona and ASU wins both their games next weekend they may get in by finishing fifth in the PAC-10 and ending season by winning their last three. There will be a lot of score board watching to do next week to see if ASU has any chance at all to make it to the post season. I'll just be hoping for best I'd take a rematch with any California team even if it meant at second round match against a UCLA or something. I might actually like to see that.

19. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    I do not get it last week ASU gets 5 points in the coaches poll and after a 4-0 victory this past weekend ASU does not get any points. Can't say I really disagree with I was shocked when I saw they had five votes last week. Still though ASU does have slim chance of sneaking into the tournament with two wins this weekend and some help from other teams to inish in the top half of the PAC-10 standings at the end of the season. A fourth or fifth place finish in the PAC-10 gives you a good chance of getting in.

20. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    I have not heard anything about Friday afternoon's game againstWSu but did just see the final was an ASU vistory by a score of 2-1. So ASU keeps there slim post season chance alive. Until seeing the final score I had been very worried about this game and thought it kill any chance ASU had. Now thought with a .500 record overall and one game left with UW things look good as ASU will do all they can to find themselve playing next weekend. UW should be a much easier game although nothing they will want to look past. Even with a win they will need help still to get in. So at th very least if they don't get in it would be great to finish the season with three wins in a row. Earlier in the week Cal defeated Santat Clara so that make ASU vcotr over them look better than it was.

21. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    USC defeated Oregon State 3-1 tonight making it impossible for ASU to catch USC and finish 4 in the PAC-10. Still though Cal is very catchable as all ASU has to do to catch them is win Sunday even if Cal where to defeat their rival Stanford on Sunday ASU would be tied with them. After reading the report on the game ASU played today against WSU it would be hard to believe that they would not beat U of A if they do not though and ASU beats UW ASU would catch WSU even a tie for WSU against U of A would allow ASU to finish tied with them as long as ASU defeats UW. ASU came within three minutes of a shutout today as WSU loan goal came at the 87:07 mark just minutes after ASU scored it second and game winning goal on a PK. The game was played in a steady slow rainfall. Had to be a lot different than what the girls are use to so it is goo they could win. ASU chances are going to depend a lot on what happens around the country in the conference tournaments they can not afford any big upsets giving a team that has no chance at an at large bid to get an automatic bid by winning their conference tournament.

22. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    Today the season ended with a tough 1-1 draw against UW. I would say this dooms any hopes of the post-season for ASU. Although head coach Ray Leone after the match sad ""The match was end-to-end and hard faught by both teams. We hit the cross bar three times today, including one in overtime, but the tie kept our hopes of the postseason alive. We will have to wait and see what the selection committee decides and I hope our team playing one of the tougher schedules in the nation will help get us in." so he still thinks they might get in. I would hop so but I think it looks very bleak.