Aston Villa vs. Spurs, PL, Sun. Feb. 16th, 9 am ET

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Kane, Sissoko and Foyth are out, while Lamela will be assessed. Mourinho saviour Ben Davies is back in training, along with Lo Celso.

2. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm ready to watch some soccer! Has it only been 9 days since the last game? Seems like forever.

3. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Got to get our away form going, only Norwich have won fewer away than us in the PL. We have won just 3 of 18 away from home in all comps this season.

4. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What a way to win three straight. Overcame a lot of wasted chances by Dele to win it in the end.

Bergwijn was MOTM for me today. Showed so much more desire and aggression than anyone else.

5. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Totally wild game which could just as easily have ended 6-5. Villa are extremely naive and I would not be surprised if they go down the way they give the ball away and defend.

We should have won more convincingly, but a combination of poor finishing and defending made the game closer than it should have been. For the life of me, I do not understand why Dier keeps getting selected ahead of Lo Celso and Ndombele. The Winks-Dier partnership does not work, every time they play together we get overrun in midfield. I am starting to get worried that Ndombele will join the long list of talented youngsters who get sold by Jose.

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Believe it or not, we are now unbeaten in 7. And we have now recovered as many points from losing positions (12) as we have lost from winning positions. However, since Jose took over we have taken 7 points from losing positions and not lost any from winning positions. Is this the Mourinho Effect or is it just dumb luck? I wonder...

7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Bergie (can we start calling him that already?), has looked really good and he is a hard worker as well. Can't wait to see how we line up in attack with a healthy Kane.

Grealish was brilliant for them and every time he did one of our defenders I kept thinking that Daniel Levy could have got him for 25 million pounds in the summer of 2018, but as usual bottled the transfer when he tried to beat the fee down. Now he is being linked to Man U and I wouldn't want to guess what the fee would be this time around.

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, what? Was watching as I was doing a project so I had sound turned off. Saw a miss from Son in about min 88/89 and, than checked in min 92. Figured it was a draw...I should have known. This is the new Spursy.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, it was not just the fee, but all the stories had something else in them as well. Nothing stated, but the inference is that he was not quite as good as suggested, something in the background. So when Spurs played Villa earlier in the season, Grealish had a very poor match and there were a few comments in the match day thread suggesting it was a good decision not to buy. For me, if he was really as good as promised, he would have been bought last summer.

10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    It's strange that Levy balked, because Grealish is the kind of player that the club has preferred buying - young, British and reasonably priced. I don't think the 2018 version of Grealish would have gotten into our side straightaway, but man he would look good in our side this campaign.

11. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Crazy match. I know it was only Villa, but we created a lot of scoring chances.

12. SpursGlory

SpursGlory Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Seattle Sounders FC
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We created a lot of chances but also got run ragged in defense. Toby redeemed himself but we were complete shite. Aurier ughh, I cringe anytime he's near the ball. Big 3 pts, I felt we had a good shot to steal it and Sonny did it in the end. He needs to rethink that PK run up though, he couldn't have telegraphed his intentions any more blatantly to Reina. COYS!

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    That was the worst game I have seen Toby play as a Spur, but there were mitigating circumstances - he was away for the birth of his first son and the last-minute back and forth traveling left him with "no legs" as he put it after the game. Now I know he is not the fastest at 30 years old, but when Grealish left him for dead from the half-way line in the first half, you know something is not right!

14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    How Aurier did not get a card in the opening minutes is beyond me, but then the ref was Martin Atkinson, who is well past his expiry date.

Sonny's pk was a carbon copy of the one against Saints in the FA Cup. Well, better him than Dier taking them...

15. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Interesting that Jon Moss was the VAR. If that had been earlier in the season or another referee, the penalty would probably never have been given. I was reading somewhere that Moss has been one of the more vocal refs about using the pitch-side monitors and not being afraid to reverse decisions on the field.

16. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Both VAR decisions were correct.

I prefer having Son play centrally rather than Moura - seems to work better that way.

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But won't be happing for a long time. :(