Aston Villa v. Arsenal, Tuesday July 21 2020, 2015 GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mebeSajid, Jul 21, 2020.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes exactly this. Teams don't really let you play in the hole anymore, because they compress that space, so the attack has moved wider.

Looking at liverpool and city for instance (as you raised them) you see different concepts to try to create the same result.

City have played very much from the half space via the likes of KDB or Silva while the winger makes the field big. This opens up the possibility to get in behind or to play diagonals but in the end, the typical city move sees the ball go across goal for a high % shooting location

Liverpool as you say are more direct, but the first goal against Arse the other day was a great example of how they break through in the channel and square across goal.

If we go back to when Arse last had a decent attack, it was based around Ozil and Alexis who were excellent in those zones.

So now we have actual wingers, but no midfield

Sigh

daedalus repped this.
  2. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Ozil is always to blame

Tonerl and daedalus repped this.
  3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It’s always been the case @The Jitty Slitter

we had great sides with shit a shit keeper

good midfields and no wingers or great strikers and shit defenders

last time we were solid all the way through was 06 before almunia went in goal and then we fell off further and further

daedalus and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  4. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i can see that. hopefully, that was it.

Super Llama repped this.
  5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. And Emery. And Sanchez. And...

6. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when we sold the Dutch snake to United. All that team needed was a killer CF, but we sold him. Had best defense in the league at the time. GK wasn't amazing but I really thought that team was solid.

thebigman and casoccerdad47 repped this.
  7. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I’ve always wondered what if he and his 30 goals had stayed.

daedalus and Shen-O repped this.
  8. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    league champions!

9. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I hate his face.

10. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    your glorious, glorious reign deserved a better ending, sir.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    He jinxed it hard

daedalus, Shen-O and mebeSajid repped this.
  12. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    In your case that's probably a pretty good working assumption.

F me, it takes a dissertation to address the many ways Ozil is crap. It's not like it's limited to the virus wage buts, and tbh I wasn't thinking about them in my prior comments. Like I wrote before, Ozil doesn't need the virus to have reason to give money back to Arsenal.

Ozil doesn't score, he doesn't defend, he doesn't press, he doesn't run to create passing lanes, he doesn't play cold games, he doesn't play away games, he doesn't train or trains poorly, he doesn't rehab or endeavor to make himself available for selection, he doesn't really even get assists (and wouldn't justify very much if he does).

He's not available if the venue is too cold or too far away. While the rest of the squad is barrelling through the brutal post-holiday fixture pileup, he's off getting spa treatments in Mallorca for two weeks. He doesn't train.

He is the biggest cancer for a team that I can think of offhand. The others that came to mind were Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Pieterson, Gareth Bale. Tbh, I don't know everything about why they fell out of favor in their situations but I do know they're actions and status are justified way ahead of Ozil.

13. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I think it is the point. Ozil's baggage and the reverberations associated with it affect his ability to contribute to Arsenal well before any considerations of Zone 14 vs half spaces become material.

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is what Ozil's agent discussed with Honigstein, using the german deferral scheme as a better interim model

Everyone accepts paycuts are likely to be necessary at some point, but at the time it was not clear if the season would complete or what the financial losses would be.

I think the players deserve to be given detailed financial info if asked to share the hit.

15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    He was Arsenal's best player pre-lockdown

All of this assumes you know that Ozil is left out for football reasons rather than pay dispute

Tonerl repped this.
  16. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    You are repeating yourself, you’re making assumptions without any evidence. Just say you don’t believe he’s producing and leave it at that.

17. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I had to show ignored to see what this was in response to. It's a useful button, that.

daedalus and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  18. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I’ve considered it.

19. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    not sure i agree with this. for all the ills with ozil's games, he tended to make himself available for the pass. one of things i like/hate about him is his tendency to float to open space so he can receive the pass. his pressing feels fairly floppy/limp, i'll have to agree with that. but, i may be mistaken here, but i vaguely recall some people posting running numbers back when alexis was here and people lauded his "hard work" and ozil often compared favourably.
    sorry but where did you see this? i'm not trying to be argumentative but i have never seen this.

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Prior to lockdown Ozil had some of the best defensive/pressing data in the team in Arteta's new schema

That is why it is surprising he is left out

But yeah - we can dismiss the usual lazy tropes

casoccerdad47 and daedalus repped this.
  21. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    That's right, he floats to an open space between some defenders to receive the ball and then he makes elegant and efficient use of small space if necessary and then tries to hit some magic ball going forward. And for those things, he's the best there is, still even now, probably. The problem is, that's a depreciating skillset in contemporary football, basically for the period of Ozil's career. It's worth especially little in isolation, ie in the context of a player who doesn't score or defend, eg Ozil.

What we need, and what he doesn't do, is make runs behind, or to the side, or to some space where he brings defenders with him, creating chances for the team to make quick, easy passes moving forward where Ozil isn't playing or receiving the ball.

He doesn't run to hold shape on defense. He doesn't press.

And what's especially unfortunate is that he can do all these things. I've seen him do it. He just won't. He's not the best athlete there ever was in football, but he's perfectly good enough.

This has been a staple of Ozil's time at Arsenal going back three managers (and four if you count Freddie Ljungberg). For casoccerdad and jitty at least, I have to believe they're being oblivious and disingenuous over the whole thing.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...-Arsenal-Fuming-Man-City-Kicked-Gloves-Behave
    https://www.republicworld.com/sport...-as-an-absolute-disgrace-and-a-bad-smell.html
    https://arsedevils.com/ozil-skipped-arsenal-training-matches/17827/
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/7107605/mesut-ozil-arsenal-row-unai-emery/

Etc, etc.

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    You keep saying stuff which can be disproven with only 60s of research

Under Arteta Ozil was one of top performers in the league for pressure events in the opposition half.

Whatever has gone wrong, it has nothing to do with his defending

casoccerdad47, Tonerl and daedalus repped this.
  23. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    but isn't that precisely what we need now? someone to unlock the defense? pepe would be a bad fit because he wants ball to feet but both aubameyang (from the left) and lacazette (from central) would benefit from pass into space as both would gladly run onto a pass. in fact, aubameyang's second goal against manchester city from tierney's pass was precisely that.

but that is not the player he is. it would be, for me, akin to criticising aubameyang for not being there to protect the back 4 and, thus, terrible central midfielder. or david luiz for being a bad at defending. wait, maybe ignore that last one.

wait . . .
    the first article essentially highlights him throwing a tantrum and kicking his glove which we knew about.
    not sure what the second has to say meaningful at all. he has bad body language?
    the third references the fourth as its source for saying that ozil played hooky (apparently again).
    the fourth is the sun contradicting its previous article on the same topic where in one it says ozil played hooky and the other he was removed after a row with emery where he threw a tantrum and refused to practice. in either case, i hadn't heard of it and am disappointed in ozil (whichever claim was correct).

of the previous statements:
    i saw no substantiation?

i will admit probably having a blinder on with regards ozil because i really do enjoy watching him play. but while i could (sadly) accept and understand (while disagreeing) saying that he is ineffective either in arteta's scheme or today's game, it is harder to accept odd unsubstantiated claims.

24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The problem is that our forward line wants to run onto balls played through

So it's good that Ozil moves into half spaces and tries to play those balls

The issue is whether he is good enough any more or excluding for some other reason

daedalus repped this.
  25. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Regardless of the reason or impact Ozil clearly isn't part of Arsenal's future unless we see a sign otherwise. Time to move on, folks.