Aston Villa v. Arsenal - Post Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by yossarian, Dec 26, 2008.

1. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    so then you drop Denilson, and have Cesc manning the center midfield on his own? or you'd leave Denilson there (since Cesc is out)

or we just go without a winger?

or go 3 defenders in the back?

im just curious, what formation would work with Nasri playing behind the Bayo and van Persie? because I cant see it working

and Nasri is showing that he has not adjusted to England, so far... im not ready to hand over the team to him yet...

2. akindele12

akindele12 Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    With the penalty, I kinda do blame Gallas. He didn't have to make that tackle, from the position and angle Gabby was coming from, he wouldn't had much of a chance to get a good shot at all. At most he would've had a pass, if another Villa player was making a run.

3. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    and I have never said otherwise... he had the angle on Abonglahor and could have steered him to the endline... he didnt, and made a bad situation out of it...

its similar to Clichy at Brum... he made the tackle and all, but should have never allowed that to happen

in saying, in both instances both Clichy and Gallas made the tackle

4. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    no one is suggesting to hand him the team. Since cesc is out, you could try nasri in this type of formation (when walcott returns):

..............ade....rvp
    walcott...nasri...song...eboue/denilson

Walcott can switch and alternate with the right wingers throughout the game. Song more defensive, nasri more offensive. And though Denilson is out of position, nasri would be more effective for the team playing in the middle. And if one of the two strikers are injured/suspended, have nasri play as supporting striker, similar to hleb during some games last season. Im not suggesting do it every game but wenger should atleast attempt it.

5. akindele12

akindele12 Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    I blame the pen on all of them, they should've communicated better, at some point Alumunia and Kolo had to let Gallas know, that they had the needed coverage. I don't know, no need stressing it anymore. But communication needs to improve.

6. akindele12

akindele12 Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    That won't work, if they play Nasri in the middle, they will have to play with two straight up CM's sitting behind him, like Boca do with Riquelme, Madrid does with Sniedjer/Van Der Vart, and Pool do with Gerrard.

Nasri

Song Denilson

7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    in this formation, you are suggesting giving Nasri the team... he doesnt look like he likes defensive responsibility on the wing, im not sure if he can handle it here...

playing him in a 4-4-1-1 if either Bayo or van Persie are out is interesting tho... we could try that when Theo comes back...

has Samir even played 90 mins this season for us, in the premiership? I just cant see that working... especially since you are calling him an ACM...

this has been a real problem this season... I dont think our defenders have confidence in Almunia, or vice versa... they either ignore dude and clear the ball out even tho he is in position to make the play, or he doesnt speak up... I really think they dont have faith in each other...

I do agree, that we should just move on from it...

exactly...

8. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even at 2-0 up I didn't think we would win the game with 30 minutes left. I think that says it all.

9. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No...I think that says it all about you. The only time we looked vulnerable in the second half was after the penalty. To say you didn't think we would win after being up 2-0 and dominating every aspect of the game says everything about YOU.

10. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    It would suit Nasri better if there were two cm's behind him but denilson is subject to constantly go forward which would leave only Song to hold down the middle. So like I suggested in the other thread, it would be best to have two defensive minded cm's if nasri is CAM. Otherwise, he could be a box to box cm paired along with a more defensive mid.

11. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    in that formation, we would have one true wide player as well... or would goto a 4-3-3

I just dont think Nasri is physically (or mentally) ready for that right now in the EPL...

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    nasri is not a cm lol

he needs to play the equivalent of diabys role vs the vile

13. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch.

No.

Certainly not dominating every aspect. It just became somewhat of a stalemate. It was too good to be true with this team. I figured Villa would get two or three more big surges of momentum and assistance from the crowd. If they were to capitalize and get one, a draw looked very plausible given how they dominated us earlier on. Of course they got the penalty. Their belief was restored, and the second came due to shocking defending.

The penalty was in the 65th, so we looked vulnerable longer than we did not in the second half is what you're saying. The same could also be said for more of the first half. Maybe that's why I thought a draw was on the cards. We were outplayed and the most die hard of fans could have told you Villa deserved a draw.

I love this club more than anything and I was a mad man when our two goals went in, but I'm not blind to the fact that the current squad is simply scrapping for fourth place and severely flawed in more than one area.

14. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what I meant was that once we went up we were the dominant team in that game until they got the penalty. So with 25-30 minutes left in the game, we're dominating, we hit the post that would have made it 3-0, and you still felt like we wouldn't win?

15. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had the 3rd gone in, sure. When we didn't score on that occasion I even said it would come back to haunt us. I just knew that if they got one they'd get another. Our defense is that vulnerable. For about fifteen minutes we were up 2-0 and outplaying them, yes it was beautiful. Even then though it was more a free flowing open affair, then a dominant one by any one side. This is just my opinion.

16. Schu419

Schu419 Member

May 17, 2006
    PA/NJ
    Just going to say that this game reminded me that I will most definitely have a heart attack during an Arsenal game at some point.

17. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fair enough.

18. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious how many times you had to watch a slow motion replay in order to determine that Gallas did get the ball? I only watched 2 replays and i couldn't really tell, so i wouldn't expect a ref to do better.

19. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    even in the french league nasri would always have m'bami and cana behind him. even cheyrou(not the ex-liverpool player) used to help out in the d more than nasri.

20. Asuka

Asuka New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Kent
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This game reminded me why 2 - nil is definitely the most dangerous lead to defend.

Villa will not be in the CL. And if for whatever reason they manage to squeeze in, they'll be gone in the first stages. Their current run of form will drop eventually, mark my words.

I've nothing else to say, well, nothing nice about Villa and O'Neil that is and I was taught that if you've got nothing nice to say...

21. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sagna was on the WUSA 8am news this morning for his acrobatics during the game.

22. gooner_sf

gooner_sf Member

Feb 12, 2007
    No kidding, I'm THIS ----> <---- close to starting smoking again, thanks to Arsenal's uncanny ability to blow leads this season!

23. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whew luckily I've been in Vancouver snowboarding and missed this match. I probably would've been very pissed if I saw the game. Now I'm very sad because we did not get revenge on ashton villa.

24. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States