Aston Villa v. Arsenal - Post Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by yossarian, Dec 26, 2008.

1. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Exactly, it's not fair to blame the defenders that were marking players, one of the CM's should have dropped back more, which goes back to the original issue, that the squad needs a quality DEFENSIVE CM.

On another note, why wont arsene try nasri as a CAM? he was pretty underwhelming today and i think much of his potential is being wasted playing wide. Atleast with cesc out, wenger should try nasri in the middle just behind the strikers.

2. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nasri playing in the middle means either Diaby or Denilson go back out on the wing. Pick your poison.

3. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    yes that's true, but imo nasri would be more effective than either those two playing in the middle.

4. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree with this... in saying this, Ramsey was in that role today... and he is 3rd or 4th choice...

he needs to get acclimated with England before he can play that role... not only that, but if we were to play this, we'd have to drop van Persie.... im not willing to make that sacrifice for Nasri, im sorry...

5. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, we need Nasri to develop into a danger on the wing. Drafting him in to the middle would probably only set him back at this point.

6. Naushad78

Naushad78 New Member

Jul 14, 2006
    First Wenger hardly plays the kids he talks about, then he is forced to put them on the field in a tough must-win game. This is not 'development' and it might irrevocably harm their confidence let alone provide an opportunity to develop. We've already seen that with Senderos and I hope we don't see that with Ramsey considering that Diaby and Denilson might already be suffering that fate.

7. Naushad78

Naushad78 New Member

Jul 14, 2006
    First Wenger hardly plays the kids he talks about, then he is forced to put them on the field in a tough must-win game. This is not 'development' and it might irrevocably harm their confidence let alone provide an opportunity to develop. We've already seen that with Senderos and I hope we don't see that with Ramsey considering that Diaby and Denilson might already be suffering that fate.

8. Naushad78

Naushad78 New Member

Jul 14, 2006

9. Naushad78

Naushad78 New Member

Jul 14, 2006

10. Naushad78

Naushad78 New Member

Jul 14, 2006

11. Naushad78

Naushad78 New Member

Jul 14, 2006

12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    :confused:

Ramsey wasnt poor today... what are you talking about... and what happened to Senderos (who just has a weak mentality) and Diaby (has no football IQ or position it seems) has nothing to do with losing confidence by being put in big time positions...

Djourou made some shocking mistakes last year at Birmingham, but now looks like our CB of the future... some players have the mentality, and some dont...

13. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised no one is talking about the confrontation between Wenger and O'Neill. I don't know what went on, but i was laughing at O'Neill being held back by his assistant.

Edit: Found this article:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/wenger-turns-on-villa-after-oneill-spat-1212360.html

14. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I remember Clichy being up in arms after that call at Birmingham...but that one was CLEARLY not a penalty.

15. ivanchin99

ivanchin99 New Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Malaysia
    50-50? I've seen so many times villa(esp young) had a throw in going their way when it was quite obvious it wasnt villa's throw in, and he puts his arms up in disbelieve..yelling at the referee.. sigh

16. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What would you have Done?

Gallas knew damn well that there wasnt anyone behind him or trailing him to offer support/cover in case illbangawhore cut back. If gallas doesnt "attempt" to play the ball and stays on his feet, running in the direction he was, gabby cuts back, goes around and has a clean open shot from 3 yards.
    Gallas is a CB, his JOB was to get the ball, he made a call, went for it, and the ref deemed it a PK. was it? I think it was, it certainly wasnt Gallas best tackle of his career, but again, What else could he have done? Just stand there? Just run with him and wait for gabby to cut back and then Gallas is left flat footed, and gets the heat for not doing anything?

Mehh, its lose lose anyway, Right?

Nasri would get chewed up and spit out playing as a CM in the PL.

Id rather have Deco.

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    prince, the goal is not toures fault and gallas went through gabby to get to the ball

he shouldve stayed on his feet and got goalside as the balls going to the byline

it was an exagerated foul!!!

gods sake man, gallas is at fault for the goal but played well

18. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Leave it out! Ramsey has very little defencive presence yet, at least Song was muscling guys around a bit and winning the ball. His passing has seen a marked improvment also. He was missed when he went off.

19. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Get over it, it was a penalty.

20. cashflow

cashflow Member

May 31, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think because of the situation we are in this result is 10 times worse in everybodys eyes but if you look at Villa this season, they played Liverpool & Man U at home and drew.

We should have won the game if we didnt make silly errors, both our goals were results from good play.

To draw 2-2 away at Villa is not a bad result at all, it's just the hiccups we suffered earlier on in the season puts extra pressure on us.

I thought it was a good performance and a special mention to Eboue who i thought played really well & as with earlier in the season i see him as much improved. Given the fact he was playing under alot of pressure iswell makes it even more impressive.

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I didnt blame Kolo for the goal... its just that his effort wasnt the best on the shot...

and I said Gallas should not have went for the tackle... but the replay shows he did win the ball and Abonglahor dived... thats all im saying

except it wasnt... it was a bad call...

and neither was the call yesterday...

22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    mate it was, he went through gabby, i call it and im an arsenal fan

23. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    I disagree, and that's what they said about Cesc early in his career. Having followed nasri for a few years now, i've seen his strengths are adapted to the middle. He has the ability to turn in really tight spaces almost similar to xavi/iniesta and has exceptional vision, and his ball control and ability to play out of trouble would really benefit him in the middle. As shown against villa, his movements looked a bit awkward playing out wide and imo it's not worth it to see if he will grow into that position, which he may never do.

24. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    on the MOTD highlight, this did not happen...

so we would have to drop van Persie...

25. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    No, he could play in the hole behind the two strikers.