Aston Villa v. Arsenal - Post Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by yossarian, Dec 26, 2008.

1. TerpSoccerFan

TerpSoccerFan Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Rome
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rest assured, you were far from the only one.

There were plenty around who said "we have two of the best central defenders in the world, why do we need an upgrade?" but there were also plenty who felt otherwise.

And "Almunia is mediocre" is probably the only thing antifan and I have ever consistently agreed upon. While I'd love to see him replaced, it seems like getting a world class keeper might be the hardest thing to do. The very few teams that have one aren't going to part with them.

2. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still pissed at Gallas.What a stupid challenge. I have no idea why he went flying in there. Albangahor had absolutely no angle on a shot from there.

3. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A victory would have flattered us. While it is disappointing how we got the draw, a draw is what we deserved.

Sagna was fantastic. Denilson was very good as well, IMO. Nasri was invisible. Diaby had a poor first half but his goal was a thing of magic.

I would like to know why Clichy was sitting to start the match. This seems like exactly the sort of game he is suited for.

Song was very shaky. Ramsey wasn't a whole lot better but he was better. Eboue had his moments but was generally unimpressive, aside from a couple of nice passes.

4. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem was that Gallas was on the wrong side of Albonglahor. I'm guessing he felt that Toure wouldn't get there in time to help out and his only chance was to make the tackle.

He took a chance and lost out.

5. luvgunners

luvgunners Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Cornelius, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There are always something with our defenders. We give out free goals every match. It's become a habit....

6. juanca

juanca New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So its all Gallas fault?Riiight:rolleyes:

Or wait, its Denilsons fault?

7. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone one else make a stupid foul in the penalty area to get Villa back in the game?

8. luvgunners

luvgunners Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Cornelius, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Are you being sacarstic there? :p
    Anyway, in general, our defense drives me nuts every game...:(

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    it was a silly challenge, gallas shouldve stayed on his feet and gone goal side of him as the position was lost

ah well

almunia is getting worse and worse

his distribution is great and his reflexes good but as ive said for ages, his aerial ability is plainly shit

10. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frustrating result considering we were up 2-0, but in the end, you look at Villa hitting the post twice in the first half and you can't be too upset. We got a point and we're unbeaten in 5. After we scored the first goal, that was some of the most confident football I've seen from us all season. We had a little swagger and it was refreshing to see.

I'm not upset at all. There's quite a few guys that need to step up their game and I'd say guys like Song, Denilson and Diaby did just that (although Diaby started the game a little slow and tentative, he picked up). Denilson is a quality little player, I like him a lot.

As far as our conceded goals go...Gallas was playing a tremendous match and was caught in a bad challenge. I'm not going to hold it against him and it looks like from what I've been reading here that Kolo is getting blamed for whatever...He had a good match today, he wasn't perfect, he just got back from being injured for about 2 weeks and he hasn't played with Gallas in quite a wile so he had a few "errors" (like when he cleared the ball to the opposition when it should have been Almunia's ball), it's all water under the bridge though.

You certainly can't blame any of our defenders for the last goal. Sagna was marking his man tight, Kolo the same, Gallas's man peeled off as the ball came in. It was during the run of play, a CB scored. If anything the person in question is one of the CMs. Looks like it may have been Denilson who let Knight drift away thinking one of the CBs had it covered. Wasn't Kolo's fault or Gallas.

11. Skizz

Skizz Guest

I don't think his aerial ability was the problem today tbh. It might be on another day though.

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yeah, it diddnt cost us today

but against a drogba or another aerial threat we wouldve been punished

almunia is not dominant at all, he should go up stronger, hes very often leaning backwards when attempting to punch the ball and rarely catches the trickier balls

13. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    got to agree with that one... altho you wish he didnt take that chance... still Abonglahor dived..

why didnt Kolo try to block Knight's shot :(

Abonglahor dived

14. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

he did...are you going to blame Kolo for not being faster than the ball?

15. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did he? Unfortunately Gallas had one leg on either side of his, so it was hard to tell.

16. gooner_sf

gooner_sf Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Pretty much sums it up. However, when your CBs play like shyte I guess it doesn't matter how good your wide players are.

17. flyerhawk

flyerhawk Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Hoboken NJ
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abonglahor certainly made the most of the contact. I actually think the only contact Gallas made was with his trailing leg which bounced up into him in the chest.

18. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    im not blaming Kolo... of course if it were another CB, he would of gotten berated for his attempt :rolleyes:

but his attempt to block the shot was weak... as you can see here...
    http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1903174/

Im looking at the MOTD highlight... not only does Abonglahor dive, Gallas actually won the ball...

19. NCTorontoFan

NCTorontoFan New Member

Jun 10, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. but the point is...why even make the challenge? You are up two-nil and although he appeared to be coming into a scoring chance...he hadn't got there yet. There is no way on earth that isnt getting called, as in fast motion it certainly apperared to be a penalty.

To be fair though it shouldn't of mattered as we throw away another two points in the end.

20. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gallas didn't win that ball. His foot missed that challenge by 10 inches. He didn't make a lot of contact, but this was not a soft penalty - it was a stupid penalty.

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    im not excusing the tackle at all because he should not have done it.. it would have been smarter for him to just stay up and force Abonglahor to hold the ball because their was no one in the box..

in saying that, Abonglahor dived, and Gallas did win the ball...

http://www.mediafire.com/?uwjzwmyml4r

all I can say is DL this and forward to the 7:45 mark... the ball changes direction because Gallas kicks it away... he won the ball...

22. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're frustrated with the tie and you're nitpicking. I watched the match and I watched that last goal over and over just to make sure my opinion was relevant and I honestly don't see what else he could have done in such a quick play.

Maybe if Sagna played that entire play tighter, not just on the inital ball in, he would have been able to close down Knight easier (Or maybe even Denilson needed to be deeper on that play, I'm not sure, it's hard to say). Kolo was marking a man afterall, you don't abandon your job when someone else is in a better position.

23. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gallas missed the ball...... and he missed ibanged a hor too. last time i checked you can slide all you want and miss the ball if you don't foul the guy. perfect 10 for the expert foot drag from agbonlahor too.

24. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and in regards to the penalty...the only thing you need to look at is Gallas' reaction after it's called to find your answer.

25. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I dont think im nit picking... he did make an attempt, and it wasnt the best attempt to block that shot...

I also disagree with you about Kolo having a good game today... he was probably, albeit due to his lack of matches, the worst defender we had out there today...

I do agree with you on Sagna...
    he won the ball... and we agree that Gabby dived..

just like we should look at Clichy's reaction after the Birmingham match last season, even tho he won the ball...

if anything, I think Gallas is upset at himself for even making that challenge instead of just staying in position... the video shows, he won the ball and Abonglahor dived