Aston Villa - Man Utd Dec 17th [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Motterman, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    All hail Fletcher. :cool:

*dance*

2. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Here's where some of our players stand in the stats department:

RVN 1st in scoring with 13, obviously. Rooney tied for 3rd with 9.

Rooney tied for 2nd in assist ranking with 5, and Park tied for 3rd with 4 assists. Fletcher tied for 4th with many people with 3.

Not too shabby.

3. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Nice tidy win by the lads.

Just imagine if we hadnt lost to Boro and drawn against Everton. We'd be right behind Moscow SW. Still a long way to go in this race yet.

4. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Sorry, just had to post this :D

[​IMG]

:eek:

Bit too close there for my comfort... lol.

5. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, but we still have enough points to be leading the league. We just didn't notice problems like this as much pre-Chelsea because it didn't matter.

6. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
  7. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I actually think Rooney had 6 assists going into this game.

Edit:

Rooney's goal was confusing. It was a good pass by Park, and again, Rooney showed the calmness to beat his man and then finish when many would have just shot right away. How does he go from being so collected and finishing chances like those, to flubbing absolute sitters? That was really a text-book finish. Commit defender, sidestep, right yourself and put it in the corner.

Ruud's goal was class. It showed why he's one of the best in the game. Fletcher made a good pass, but if you watch the build up you can see that everyone was moving to the right, including Ruud. When the ball gets to Fletch, Ruud who is being marked by 2 players, one to his left who he's running away from and one to his right who he's running towards sees that there is a channel for Fletcher to pass into and he turned up field.

DefenderA-----------DefenderB
    -------Ruud>>^

He was basically unmarkable, had Defender B closed the gap and stayed closer, Ruud could have run right across him and still be open.

Anyway, good pass by Fletch and then Ruud turns on the pace to get to the ball first and then used his strength to hold the defender off and let the ball run to commit the keeper and then chipped it over.

Movement/Positioning, Speed, Timing and Finishing - all in one goal.

Of course, the doubters will just say he scored a tap-in :rolleyes: but we know better.

All in all very pleased with the result but I guess the game was too physical to risk Jones and Rossi, otherwise with the way we were bossing the game I'd have given them a shot.

9. zeusxor

zeusxor New Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Lahore, Pakistan
    woah, nice synopsis my friend :|

10. zeusxor

zeusxor New Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Lahore, Pakistan
    www.latestgoals.net has all the latest videos of the goals scored in the premier league and other competitions

11. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm content with this win, In my opinion this was even better than the Pompey game, and like the Wigan game we should have had more goals, Ruud really needs to put away those sitters. Nevertheless we seem to be finding a good flow to our game and need to keep it up.

Fletcher in particular was awesome, he's really becoming the glue that holds out team together and in my opinion is a joy to watch. Rooney no doubt man of the match, I would have gone CRAZY if that bicylce kick would have gone in. Good thing that Ronaldo came in as a sub, that's the way he'll get back to form in my opinion, he was certainly better than in his last two outtings. And last but not least good thing that Park played the whole 90, like I said before, that's the only way he'll regain his PSV form for us.

12. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG!! Who let Saha out of his plastic bubble?? :eek:

I just finished watching a tape of the game -- we played well for a solid win, I thought. Baros and Angel were tame, for the most part. RVN and Rooney both with awesome goals--and both missed easy ones. Rooney missed an absolute sitter right in front of the goal both today and in midweek (the one today was so quick, it's forgivable; the one vs Wigan was simply Forlan-esque), but who cares so long as he's putting them in as well.

Ruud's attempt on goal was totally sublime; I'd have wept with joy had it gone in.

We're on our way back to the title, baby, I believe it!! (We did it in 2003. . . )

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fletcher wasn't rubbish, but he certainly wasn't awesome. He's not that type of player. Its like calling Gary Neville awesome. Solid performance is about as high as it goes. Not bashing him but lets be real.

14. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Some people would say Ronaldo is awesome for doing fancy tricks, I on the other hand think what Fletcher is awesome for what he does. Its all subjective.

15. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Here is another pic I found... all laughs and smiles in the United bench today :)

[​IMG]

Is it me or does Giggs look like Christian Slater in there? :D

16. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I can't say Fletcher was anything better than average today, because he got outplayed by Gavin McCann in terms of winning the football.

He's the holding midfielder. His job is to win the ball. he didn't do it? How could he have had a good game, when he failed in his essential duty?

A holding midfielder who fails to win the ball had a mediocre game, no matter how well he played in other facets.

17. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    I think Fletcher definitely isn't DM material for now; Smith is better than him in that aspect. But in the second half, he had quite a few good interceptions.

18. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Yea, thats because Fletcher isn't a holding midfielder, he didn't do well in that category, but he reverted to his original position throughout the whole game, every time United was on the attack he was involved in it, he intercepted passes, held possesion, constantly tracked backed and cleared the ball and was essential in nearly every counter attack. I can't imagine anyone saying he didn't have a good game today.

19. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    im glad to hear, the outcome of the match i was out of town today so i didnt get to watch it but im glad we won and are 6 points back of chelsea now :)

20. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Happy with the teams win today. Its just the way to start a day. Woke up at 7:00 am, watched us pick this team apart. I was happy. I was surprised to see Scholes and Fletcher in the center of the park. Fletcher, on the ball, did extremely well.

Even John Oshea, wasnt his usual crap self today. The entire team had atleast a 6.5/10. Poor finishing from Rooney again, but thank God he got a goal to make up for it.

RVN.... What can i say. He is magnificent. What a beautiful goal, with his weaker foot. What a great pass from Fletcher.

Scholes was good. Ronaldo was alright. Wasnt really his best. But hopefully he will be back soon. Giggs, poor finishing as well. Played alright as well.

Nothing negative, except for us getting caught out on the break, when Baros hit the bar.

Rio is gradually getting better. He is back on world class status, but he needs to get higher than that.

Bring on birmginham.

21. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh yea that's right, I also forgot to mention O'Shea was actually decent today, I mean he wasn't his usual crap self as you say. He didn't have one fvck up and contributed quite well to our attacks. :eek:

22. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    well thats good, i still hate him though lol

23. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well a lot has already been said, I'll just add that its great to see Man United with that great link-up passing between the midfield and the frontline again, as well as getting the midfield involved in the box as well. Park was unlucky not to score, and Scholes and Fletcher did well getting themselves involved in the attack. I think we're seeing a positive fundamental shift in the way the team chooses to attack, using all routes and relying far less on the longball. And a good thing that is.

Also if our backline looks as solid the rest of the way as they did today, we won't have to hear much more about how Chelsea's defense is the only one that saves the team in in 1-0 games.

24. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

I keep saying it ...hes NOT that bad :cool:

25. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Great minds think alike eh!? ;)