Aston Villa - Man Utd Dec 17th [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Motterman, Dec 15, 2005.

1. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Half-time observations:

(1) HOOF! For a club that really stinks at it, we play too much long-ball

(2) Neville still isn't recovered from his injury. He's a step off the pace.

(3) Ferdinand is playing very well, both in defending and in setting up the attack.

(4) Giggs looks like he belongs in Div-3 Scottish football today. He's been given the ball in very promising positions, and has done nothing. Too often, instead of playing the simple pass to develop the attack, he's tried to take on his man - and got beaten...every...single...time.

(5) Ji-Sung Park looks fantastic, until it comes time to bother doing anything with the ball, when he looks like Giggs above.

(6) Rooney has been off-today. He looks like he's trying to go for the spectacular too much.

(7) Fletcher looks good, except on aerial balls.

(8) Ruud is phenomenal. Good passing, good hold-up play, good goal, almost had another phenomenal one.

(9) I wonder why we don't try a backline of Silv-Rio-Brown-Nev. Silv has more pace and strength than O'Shea.

2. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Villa are a poor team, hopefully we can get a early goal or two in the 2nd half and then let R.Jones and Rossi to get some playing time ..

3. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Yeah, where is everyone??? :confused:

Anyways, pretty good half, and VERY well taken goal by Ruud!! UGHH, Park can't buy a goal... :( Good effort though. And I'm glad to see that he's playing quite well and his condition today seems to be good - back to his full running, tidy technique, good passing, and all that. Hope to see more.

Few worries... Fletcher is doing quite well as the holding mid (and very nice pass put through to RVN btw), but seems inept to build up plays that go forward. Our forward line seems to be in good condition but our central midfield hasn't been quite impressive as games before...

Giggs played well, but does anyone agree that he looks pretty damn TIRED? He got into good positions, but he has seem to run out of gas a lot of times... I want to see Ronaldo for him not too long after the second half...

Great defending by Rio, O'Shea questionable as usual tho.

4. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well, some people are meeting up today, right?

Damned clique of East coast wannabe elites ;).

5. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Also, it seems like we are struggling under the physical challenges of Villa players... they dont have nearly as much talent so that's the only way they can put up a challenge, with rough and tough challenges and such. ;) But yeah, we're being pushed off a bit easily and looking a bit afraid under their pressure.

Good thing they can't score for jack. Eventually they'll put another man up and that'll be our cue to increase the lead :D

6. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
  7. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada

:D

They're probably doing their own analysis as we speak ;) Shouldn't Billy at least be here, tho?

8. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Generally speaking, we don't have a lot of "strong" players on the field right now.

Of the players on the pitch, I'd say that only Neville, Ferdinand, Brown, RVN, and Rooney have strength to withstand a challenge via strength. And, of course, Ferdinand and Brown are seldom in a position to be challenged, because they can't risk giving the ball away deep.

9. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's here, he says O'Shea is crap, so you know it's him.

Looking forward to our FUCOF-FFS meetup with 50 Euro later on. So far, we have plenty to toast to. :D

10. Uniteder

Uniteder New Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Im out for today cua and GO UNITED!

11. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Good point. It's quite a small/understrengthed lineup now that I think about it...

And that is where we miss Smith :( or a big, strong central midfielder in general...

12. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smith is either injured or is being rested ahead of our busy holiday schedule. I'm glad to see Fergie starting a stronger team, try to get a 3 goal lead and THEN sub in the kids, as opposed to what he did last season. (start kids and sub on 3 starters late on to try and nick the win at the death...)

13. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, if you're going to play Fletcher, Scholes, Giggs, and Park in midfield - prepare to get battered physically. You just have to win w/superior technique.

14. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
  15. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Morning guys. :D

Stayed in my bed watching the match, didn't feel like moving until half-time. I thought Park really deserved that goal earlier.. way too unlucky to have it hit the post. Well and clinically taken; and he had a couple of chances later on which weren't in exact primo conditions. Ruud is doing great today, scored that wonderful goal, had an incredible back-to-goal attempt and held up the ball/passed well. Giggs is probably the worst performer in the first half, he gave up the ball about 4 times, all either in bad positions or because of poor play. Fletcher; no comments. Didn't think he's doing a midfield anchor well, the midfield still seems shoddy today.

Aston Villa is making the game difficult for us, they're always closing down the spaces. All of our players don't have much leisurely time on the ball, and as a result the passes are quite compromised. Regardless, we should be able to get another goal in the 2nd half.

16. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Get In There .......rooooneeeyyy :D :D :D
    2-0

17. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Park to ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONEY!!!

Been hearing that quite a few times this season :D

Great play!! Clinical finish ;)

Should be in the bag now!

18. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Subs I have in mind:

Ronaldo for Giggs

Rossi for RVN

Possibly Bardsley for O'Shea?

19. karems

karems New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    LIBYA
    can any one post goals link?

20. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    If you look carefully, Angel really looks like RVN...

Without half the goal scoring skills :D

Ronaldo in for Giggs as I suspected.

21. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

I rather have R.Jones for scholes or Fletcher

and as i am typing this .....Ronaldo comes on for Giggs

22. karems

karems New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    LIBYA